Temperature and Humidity for a Noob

Jgez12

Arachnopeon
I really want to get a tarantula soon but the only thing I don't think I'm capable of is providing the right temp/humidity. First of all the T(s) would have to stay in my room because my parents won't let me keep it anywhere else. My house has furnace heating and the thermostat is on the other side of the house so my room during the winter gets really dry and varies a great degree In Temperature (50-90). That is not an overstatement I just tested it a month ago. During the summer I have my ac set to about 65-70 so I should be fine there (temperature wise. No idea about humidity then) Should I be looking to make a microclimate?

Btw the species in looking at are B. Smithi G. pulchripes GBB and B. albopilosum. as slings or small juvies.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
50 is way too low.
if you cant keep it above 70, maybe a tarantula isnt right.. humidity doesnt really matter outside the cage, plenty of keepers live in very dry places and are successful with their collections.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, I suggest you to buy (among the Theraphosidae you are interested in) directly a female, then. If adult, better. Slings are more delicate, but like Venom1080 said, 50 F is hands down way too low, slings or not.

If you can't reach at least 70 F (I personally love 75 F, that's, mostly, the Day temperature in Winter of all the arachnids/invert I had and have, never had an issue) you need to think about considering the idea of buy/use additional heating, like a space heater... even if (my personal opinion, eh) for one Theraphosidae only sucks to waste so much money.

Now, now... I know I will receive a poopstorm of dislike for this, but, while I've never and I don't use those, in UK and in The Netherlands, skilled keepers used (and use) heat pad/cable for reach the needed temperatures and they doesn't have problems. But you need to know what "you" are doing.

Humidity - All the four T's you mentioned (especially as adults) doesn't require at all a particular 'humidity' parameter: they are perfectly fine on a bone dry substrate set up with of course the classic water dish.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Now, now... I know I will receive a poopstorm of dislike for this, but, while I've never and I don't use those, in UK and in The Netherlands, skilled keepers used (and use) heat pad/cable for reach the needed temperatures and they doesn't have problems. But you need to know what "you" are doing.
nothing wrong with a stated one against one side of the cage.

Jgez12

Arachnopeon
50 is way too low.
if you cant keep it above 70, maybe a tarantula isnt right.. humidity doesnt really matter outside the cage, plenty of keepers live in very dry places and are successful with their collections.
When I said 50 degrees i didn't mean kept at. The heat is finicky sometimes and for a few minutes can be that low if it is really cold at night. Usually it's on the hotter end 75 or above but thought I should mention on rare occasions for very brief periods it could go that low.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
When I said 50 degrees i didn't mean kept at. The heat is finicky sometimes and for a few minutes can be that low if it is really cold at night. Usually it's on the hotter end 75 or above but thought I should mention on rare occasions for very brief periods it could go that low.
more than 5 degrees below 70 for more than a few hours is a no go for me. some adult arid species can take that, and be fine. but not younger. go for a heat pad. (;))

cold blood

Staff member
Keep temps for slings between 70 amd 85...keep juvies and adults of these species between 60 and 95....not too small of a window.

As adults, they can tolerate much cooler night temps than slings.

Ignore the term humidity, it has no place in this hobby and only serves to over complicate things to the detriment of the t. When you see a t requiring higher humidity, it means they need damper substrate, nothing more. Keep it simple and you will have an easier time with everything.

That said, none of the ones you mentioned require moisture...all can be kept dry with an adequately sized water dish.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I really want to get a tarantula soon but the only thing I don't think I'm capable of is providing the right temp/humidity.
I'm glad you decided to check before impulse buying. Kudos!
First of all the T(s) would have to stay in my room because my parents won't let me keep it anywhere else. ... varies a great degree In Temperature (50-90).
Can you get/use a space heater? Find one with a thermostat (verify it) and use that as a backup in case of low temps. I put my Ts in a closet so I didn't have to heat my whole room.
No idea about humidity then...Should I be looking to make a microclimate?
No, just give 'em sub to burrow, a hide, and a water bowl thats always filed with H2O (no rocks, gel, or sponges please!)
Btw the species in looking at are B. Smithi G. pulchripes GBB and B. albopilosum. as slings or small juvies.
I'd recommend pulcheripes or smithi for a first. The smithi will flick hairs a bunch... like a whole lot... but I love my girl. GBB are pretty skittish. Can't speak to albo on a personal level.

Good luck!

Leila

Arachnobaron
And my smithi always has a full rump of hairs...not a flicker at all...flicking depends on individual temperaments.
Yep. Everyone talks about sweetheart B. albos, and my albo gal has a super bald rump due to her affinity for constantly kicking hairs. :rofl::rofl::rofl: (I actually think it is adorable.)

As you said: it depends on the individual T. :)

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
I personally use a heat mat for my B. smithi and it works perfectly, to raise the temps. just make sure and use the heat mat alongside a thermostat to control the temperature and put the heat mat on the side of the enclosure and not the bottom like some people do. I also use a separate thermometer just to keep an eye on it. another tip is also to put the heat mat at the opposite side of the encousure from their hide so they cant burrow towards the heat mat.

as for the species I would highly recommend a B. smithi they are stunning and docile which IMO is perfect for a first T. although the GBB is one of my favourite looking tarantulas and I cant wait to get one.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
A heat pad without a thermostat is completely unacceptable. A heat pad with a thermostat will be survivable, but still risky if you buy the cheapest thing you can find. Get good quality for both and you are okay. I won't accept anything below 70 for my T's unless it is very short term.

If you buy any of the species you mentioned you don't have to worry about any moisture in the substrate. But I do like to moisten a small area and then let it dry out for my B. albopilosum. I have found that it likes it and hangs out in that area when it occurs.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
50 is way too low.
I think there's that one Megaphobema sp. that likes it under 70f. I forget which one (maybe velvetosoma?). Nonetheless it isn't a beginner species.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I think there's that one Megaphobema sp. that likes it under 70f. I forget which one (maybe velvetosoma?). Nonetheless it isn't a beginner species.
ive heard Megaphobema, P rufilata, P subfusca highland all like it under 70. yet ive raised all three in my 70-78 room.
would be cool to experiment with one day though.

cold blood

Staff member
ive heard Megaphobema, P rufilata, P subfusca highland all like it under 70. yet ive raised all three in my 70-78 room.
would be cool to experiment with one day though.
mesomalis is the one.

that said, anything coming from high elevations tend to prefer cooler temps.