Temperature and Humidity for a Noob

Leila

Arachnobaron
mesomalis is the one.

that said, anything coming from high elevations tend to prefer cooler temps.
Forgive me if I sound like an idiot right now :bag:....but I do not understand why an animal who prefers high elevations would also be one who is keen to cooler temps. In my mind, I think 'elevation'= closer to the sun= somewhat warmer temps. :shy:

Educate me :embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed:

Edit: I do realize that in certain terrains, elevation= cold af. Like mountains.

However, I am picturing an expansive forest in tropical temps. I guess it would be cooler at the top of some verrrrry tall trees due to the breezes up there? (Anyway....Educate me! :kiss::kiss:)

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
mesomalis is the one.

that said, anything coming from high elevations tend to prefer cooler temps.
Ah ah, you just reached the "ArachnoGod" title (comment N° 5000) with an error: mesomalis instead of Megaphobema mesomelas.

Mesa vista :-s

cold blood

Staff member
Forgive me if I sound like an idiot right now :bag:....but I do not understand why an animal who prefers high elevations would also be one who is keen to cooler temps. In my mind, I think 'elevation'= closer to the sun= somewhat warmer temps. :shy:

Edit: I do realize that in certain terrains, elevation= cold af. Like mountains.

However, I am picturing an expansive forest in tropical temps. I guess it would be cooler at the top of some verrrrry tall trees due to the breezes up there? (Anyway....Educate me! :kiss::kiss:)
higher elevations remain cool...its why you can go to high mountains in summer and see snow at the peak while its 75 at the base.
Ah ah, you just reached the "ArachnoGod" title (comment N° 5000) with an error: mesomalis instead of Megaphobema mesomelas.

Mesa vista :-s

hilarious....im using my phone and didnt catch that i did that i butchered the spelling...D'oh!

but you knew what i meant you big jerk:p

Loved the use of Nelson though.

boina

Lady of the mites

I don't know if you really wanted the science behind it, but here goes:

What we call "heat" is basically atoms and molecules moving. The faster they move the hotter they are. If there aren't any particles nothing can move, ergo: no heat. The athmosphere gets noticably thinner at higher altitudes. Thinner athmosphere simply means less atoms and molecules, i.e. less things that can move and create heat. Therefore, it's colder at higer elevations. Even the Kilimanjaro in the midst of Africa has a snow cap.

Distance from the sun has nothing really to do with it. Sun and earth are around 90 million miles apart. The higest mountains are about 5 miles high. That's a factor of 1/18 million!!! The highest mountain tops are only a very, very, very tiny amount closer to the sun than the ocean surface - that makes no difference at all.

Leila

Arachnobaron
higher elevations remain cool...its why you can go to high mountains in summer and see snow at the peak while its 75 at the base.
hilarious....im using my phone and didnt catch that i did that i butcheted the spelling...D'oh!

Loved the use of Nelson though.
Yeah, I mentioned the snow on the mountains example when I edited that comment. Lol. :cat:
I was thinking of tall trees in a rainforest where temps are generally warm and no snow is to be seen. That is where my confusion originated from. :shy::happy::kiss:
I don't know if you really wanted the science behind it, but here goes:

What we call "heat" is basically atoms and molecules moving. The faster they move the hotter they are. If there aren't any particles nothing can move, ergo: no heat. The athmosphere gets noticably thinner at higher altitudes. Thinner athmosphere simply means less atoms and molecules, i.e. less things that can move and create heat. Therefore, it's colder at higer elevations. Even the Kilimanjaro in the midst of Africa has a snow cap.

Distance from the sun has nothing really to do with it. Sun and earth are around 90 million miles apart. The higest mountains are about 5 miles high. That's a factor of 1/18 million!!! The highest mountain tops are only a very, very, very tiny amount closer to the sun than the ocean surface - that makes no difference at all.
XO. :embarrassed:
Thank you, love.