Tell me about Psuedoclamoris Gigas!!

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
I came across these online this week in someone’s website offerings. They were unfamiliar to me so I looked them up and found an older video by Tom Moran of his moving at the speed of light; said, yeah I’m not ready and dropped it. Then I stumbled upon one at my LRS. I was perusing what turned out to be an impressive collection of T’s at this shop and despite the P. victori sitting there, it was this orange fluff P. Gigas that stood out by a mile.

I would love to hear people’s experiences with them! I haven’t found much, but haven’t had time to do a deep dive under the former classification yet either.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
They are pretty fast. I had some up to juveniles then sold them. I wish I still had them, the colors are very nice, even as slings.

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
They are pretty fast. I had some up to juveniles then sold them. I wish I still had them, the colors are very nice, even as slings.
It was absolutely stunning in color!! I really love orange. That said, I love black and red too, so that it stood out above the P. victori to me was a surprise. I was excited to see the victori in person, but the gigas commanded your attention and I knew I wanted to learn more about it. It was probably 2.5"+ if it would have been spread out. I'm guessing with the speed involved if I were interested in picking up this species starting with a sling may be better, or maybe something bigger is easier to see!

I realize yours were young and most T's hide when smaller, but did you find yours to be good display T's or were they fairly reclusive?

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
they’re supposedly the fastest T’s in the hobby from what I’ve heard - low venom potency, more bolty than defensive - absolutely stunning color - I’m definitely planning on getting into the genus eventually

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Raised my female from a sling, care is basically the same as any other arboreal Psalmopoeinae, they're fast (not as fast as my Tappies though) and can be skittish, good eaters, out often enough, venom potency on par with Psalmopoeus (I.e. a bite will probably ruin your day and maybe the day after but that's about it).

Mine's fairly calm and usually just half-runs straight to her hide or behind cover when disturbed. She dropped a phantom sac last year which was interesting.

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
Raised my female from a sling, care is basically the same as any other arboreal Psalmopoeinae, they're fast (not as fast as my Tappies though) and can be skittish, good eaters, out often enough, venom potency on par with Psalmopoeus (I.e. a bite will probably ruin your day and maybe the day after but that's about it).

Mine's fairly calm and usually just half-runs straight to her hide or behind cover when disturbed. She dropped a phantom sac last year which was interesting.

I was REALLY hoping you would chime in as I've seen your past posts and pictures of yours (and on a side note, many of your other photos which just make me want to buy ALL the tarantulas!!). I went back to the shop for the A. bicoloratums they had and asked specifically about the temperament of their P. gigas. Interestingly, they said they had not experienced much trouble with it in terms of speed and also felt Psalmopoeus were faster. He demonstrated by opening the container and lightly touching the P. gigas and it slowly took a few steps. He said to me, you could never do that with a Psalmo!!

I had been looking at some of the Psalmopoeus species people gravitate toward, P. cambridgei and P. irminia, but turned off by the fact they can be reclusive. I do know that many more report lots of visibility with P. cambridgei over the ridiculously gorgeous P. irimina. I guess if I was considering a Psalmo, sounds like this isn't much different. It was a good size and $26ish for Black Friday, priced less than a sling. I didn't pick it up, but now I'm wondering if I should have! I was thinking with the reported speed of this species maybe a sling would be better. I imagine if it's there in a few weeks when I need to re-up on mice feeders, it would be hard to leave behind, or maybe I should go back today since I needed one of their cool low-profile tanks anyways! Man that orange is just gorgeous!!!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I went back to the shop for the A. bicoloratums they had and asked specifically about the temperament of their P. gigas. Interestingly, they said they had not experienced much trouble with it in terms of speed and also felt Psalmopoeus were faster.
Yeah, my P. gigas has never really been one to show off her speed tbh. Out of Psalmopoeus, ecclesiasticus are the fastest IME and most Tapinauchenius spp. will outpace those

I had been looking at some of the Psalmopoeus species people gravitate toward, P. cambridgei and P. irminia, but turned off by the fact they can be reclusive. I do know that many more report lots of visibility with P. cambridgei over the ridiculously gorgeous P. irimina.
For me it's the other way around, my irminia is out every day unless she's in pre-moult whereas both of my cambridgei were easily the most reclusive tarantulas I've ever kept.

I guess if I was considering a Psalmo, sounds like this isn't much different.
Yeah, both are pretty similar in a lot of ways tbh.

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
For me it's the other way around, my irminia is out every day unless she's in pre-moult whereas both of my cambridgei were easily the most reclusive tarantulas I've ever kept.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I believe you are the one who listed P. cambridgei on an old "never again" themed thread I read through (and possibly the one often accused of having "broken" tarantulas that don't follow the behavioral norm?).

That is awesome about your irminia! I LOVE the irminia's colors; could easily be my favorite T, if it were more visible I would just buy 10. I would love to have one, but I kind of mentally put it off as a future purchase somewhere down the line. The speed was one reason, but mostly because I know I would personally be super disappointed if it was a pet hole. How do you find their speed compared to C. cyaneopubescens or N. incei?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Thanks for sharing your experience! I believe you are the one who listed P. cambridgei on an old "never again" themed thread I read through (and possibly the one often accused of having "broken" tarantulas that don't follow the behavioral norm?).
Yeah, that's a long-running forum in-joke that started when my B. hamorii female misplaced the memo that said she's supposed to be "docile" after a moult :rofl:

How do you find their speed compared to C. cyaneopubescens or N. incei?
Defo faster than C. cyaneopubescens, I'm guessing a little faster than N. incei (mine doesn't really bolt though so not great for comparison).

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
@The Grym Reaper If I am new to the faster slings, would you recommend starting with something less than an inch or larger? I'm wondering if a larger one is easier to keep track of, or if this is a situation where it would be beneficial to grow with a sling and get used to its speedy behavior as it gains size.

I am seriously tempted to go back and pick up that 2"+ P. gigas.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
@The Grym Reaper If I am new to the faster slings, would you recommend starting with something less than an inch or larger? I'm wondering if a larger one is easier to keep track of, or if this is a situation where it would be benficial to grow with a sling and get used to its speedy behavior as it gains size.

I am seriously tempted to go back and pick up that 2"+ P. gigas.
Juvies will be less skittish/flighty than slings tbh (a fair few of my Psalmopoeinae were skittish/bolty as slings and then calmed down a lot once they hit juvie sizes)

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I want all the Pseudoclamoris and Tapinauchenius tarantulas. They are all beautiful and I simply must have them. No is not an answer I want to admit to myself.

Last edited:

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
I want all the Pseudoclamoris and Tapinauchenius tarantulas. They are all beautiful and I simply must have them. No is not an answer I want to admit to myself.
I haven't looked further into these two genus' much, but I do know the T. rasti is very pretty!

I'm feeling that struggle of wanting all the things myself. Looking at Grym's photos does NOT help me shrink my wishlist either :rofl: the Sericopelma sp. "Santa Catalina" definitely went on it after eyeing his.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I haven't looked further into these two genus' much, but I do know the T. rasti is very pretty!

I'm feeling that struggle of wanting all the things myself. Looking at Grym's photos does NOT help me shrink my wishlist either :rofl: the Sericopelma sp. "Santa Catalina" definitely went on it after eyeing his.
Yup....T. rasti is at the top of my list but I want a female as the female has the best colors for that species.

I missed my chance when Sericopelma sp. "Santa Catalina" were basically everywhere for sale. Now hard to find. One vendor has one but it's in store only.

One thing I learned the hard way is when you see a particular tarantula you want that is not abundant buy it don't wait.

I missed several times on different T's I wanted. I haven't seen them offered again since then.

Money is a factor too. Seems like when the ones pop up I want I have other obligations at the same time and can't throw cash on tarantulas. It's always been timing with me.

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
One thing I learned the hard way is when you see a particular tarantula you want that is not abundant buy it don't wait.

I missed several times on different T's I wanted. I haven't seen them offered again since then.
This is good advice. I am not a big impulse buyer. I will research, obsess, and then talk myself into and out of things; rinse and repeat.

It's a great point to remember that things can disappear and not be available again. I definitely get FOMO with the best of them, hence this post about that gorgeous little P. gigas. Actually truth be told, I went two days in a row to this place. I walked away from the A. bicoloratums the first time because I couldn't remember why they weren't on my list when I love Aphonopelma AND orange. Well, price/availability was the reason & these were a steal, so I went back after researching all night. Looked at the P. gigas a second time, asked about it, posted here, read more.... still thinking about it. Luckily for me right now money is not an issue, which is not helping. My husband is TOO supportive. :rofl:

Unfortunately sometimes you have to be around a while to know what is and isn't uncommon, and I haven't been around that long. The P.gigas are available several places right now, but is that usual?

I missed my chance when Sericopelma sp. "Santa Catalina" were basically everywhere for sale. Now hard to find. One vendor has one but it's in store only.
I've been thinking of emailing that retailer and inquiring about those Santa Catalinas; I have a credit with them. I was also secretly hoping they would pop up in their holiday specials.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
This is good advice. I am not a big impulse buyer. I will research, obsess, and then talk myself into and out of things; rinse and repeat.

It's a great point to remember that things can disappear and not be available again. I definitely get FOMO with the best of them, hence this post about that gorgeous little P. gigas. Actually truth be told, I went two days in a row to this place. I walked away from the A. bicoloratums the first time because I couldn't remember why they weren't on my list when I love Aphonopelma AND orange. Well, price/availability was the reason & these were a steal, so I went back after researching all night. Looked at the P. gigas a second time, asked about it, posted here, read more.... still thinking about it. Luckily for me right now money is not an issue, which is not helping. My husband is TOO supportive. :rofl:

Unfortunately sometimes you have to be around a while to know what is and isn't uncommon, and I haven't been around that long. The P.gigas are available several places right now, but is that usual?

I've been thinking of emailing that retailer and inquiring about those Santa Catalinas; I have a credit with them. I was also secretly hoping they would pop up in their holiday specials.
By all means go crazy and get the T's that you want especially with a husband who supports it.

Plan for the future. Make sure you have the room for bigger enclosures as slings will grow eventually to adults.

I've heard the stories of people getting into keeping tarantulas. They buy alot of slings. Then those slings grow and so do enclosures and the space needed to keep the bigger enclosures.

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
By all means go crazy and get the T's that you want especially with a husband who supports it.

Plan for the future. Make sure you have the room for bigger enclosures as slings will grow eventually to adults.

I've heard the stories of people getting into keeping tarantulas. They buy alot of slings. Then those slings grow and so do enclosures and the space needed to keep the bigger enclosures.
One of the reasons he lets me get whatever I want is because he knows I won't overextend us. I made a cheat-sheet table on different species I was interested in as I learned including: adult size, temperament, growth rates, characteristics like webbing/visibility, etc. I keep an Excel spreadsheet that catalogs my tarantulas, molts, where I bought them, cost, etc. I'm working on a tab that will have only growth rates, adult size, and anticipated adult enclosure size. I'm a big planner and I work hard to keep a balance so that my hobbies do not become overwhelming and no longer enjoyable. Doing all the research and making all my lists, charts, tables, spreadsheets are a HUGE part of the fun for me. It also helps me stay cognizant of what my collection will look like as everyone starts to age into adult sizes.

I have heard all those stories and warnings that a shelf of slings becomes several shelves as adults, and I definitely keep it in the back of my mind. We have a ton of dead wall space that we can fill up with shelves of T's and my husband is absolutely down for it!! I love that man :smirk:

I'm not big on decorating, I am however an avid DIYer and can't wait to get creative with enclosures!! I've found some killer crystal clear 8oz square acrylic ones at Michaels for 80cents after coupon. I've also picked up some larger ones nobody fits in yet, because I know they will eventually. I anticipate the enclosure building/creating out of fun containers to be as fulfilling as the research and rest of the hobby for me. The LRS that the P. gigas is at has some great low profile tarantula tanks that would just need acrylic tops too.

All that said, I have a lot of slow growers, so that helps me rationalize space for more too, haha.