Tarnatula-sicles

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Ok, So today I recieved two T's from Mark (mebebraz). An A. moderatum, and A. Avicularia. both are around the 2 inch mark. Due to my apt manager not keeping my box inside like she SWORE she would, and happening to get stuck in traffic for 2 hours on the #$%^%$^&%$ dan ryan xpwy, I got home to find a very chilled (around 45 F ) box conataining two very chilled spiders. At first, I thought them both surely dead. One was half into the death pose, and the other looked almost totally into it. I thought that the cold had perhaps stopped the transition into said pose. However, unwilling to give up hope, I placed them both on my coffee table, (which is glass) and placed a boiled pot of water under said table. about an hour later (now) I have movement out of both, but only if disturbed. Gentle blowing results in either of them scrunching up, then relaxing again. I take that as a good sign. Anyways, I am wondering if any of you have experience in things like this, and might be able to offer any further advice on how to keep them alive. I've used the boiling water pot's steam so that I had no direct heat, and it feels just under 90 on the table, if that. It's slightly warmer than the rest of my apt.

Bill

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I recieved advice to warm them up in my hand. I started with the A. moderatum, as I thought it the most likely to make it. here is how it looked when I began holding it..

Bill

Attachments

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
And here, about an hour later, is the picture I half-managed to get of it walking off of my hand onto the glass coffee table. It seems to still not want to be too active, but capable of activity, nonetheless. It is now in a deli cup with a moist paper towel, and my fingers are crossed.

Bill

Attachments

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
The pinktoe, so far, has been less fortunate. I managed to get it into my hand, but it stayed in this position for some time:

Bill

Attachments

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
After a half-hour or so of no movement (the A. moderatum was starting to move on it's own by that point) I had to switch hands to wipe sweat off of my one hand. I did this the most cautious and safe way I could think of, which was hovering over the T with the other hand, and flipping my hand slowly. What I got, was a twitching pinktoe that looked like this:

Attachments

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Since taking those photo's, I have moved both of them to the warmest place in the apt. the pinktoe righted itself, and made me feel bad about putting it on it's back, but I still wasn't sure if it were alive at this point. Hopefully tommorrow I have good news.

Bill

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bill,
Your a EMT, for T's..
Sounds like you have them well in hand.
Sorry, I hope they'll be ok. It looks like their already on the road to recovery. Nice job.

Ernie

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would like to speak for the 2 tarantulas. It is good to know someone like you exists.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope they get better.

Mad Scientist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just wanted to say I'm sorry, about your T's and I hope they make it. Looks like u did as much as you could...

Sincerely

Ra

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Action Jackson
This has got to be the friendliest messageboard I've ever been on.
Yea im used to myself "I HOPE THEY DIE IRL U NOOBIE" , welcome to nice people land.

I myself have not adjusted

Action Jackson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bob the thief
Yea im used to myself "I HOPE THEY DIE IRL U NOOBIE" , welcome to nice people land.
Throw the word "emo" in there and you'll know how the boardies I'm used to would react to this. But yeah, I hope everything works out for Bill and his buggers, too.

EDIT: typos

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hope they make it Bill :(
Whatever happens, you can say you tried your utmost. Good luck mate. :)

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Bill,
Ernie hit it right on the head; you ARE a t EMT. Here's my hope they pull through...
Peace,
Gillian

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
hey bill--
anxiously awaiting word on the health of your new tarantulas...and i hope that when they recover, they will look upon you as the loving and caring blurry "god-like" "master of the universe" that you truly are!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Bill,
good thinking on the coffee table/boiling water idea. Keep us updated on them will ya?!

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Ok, So today I recieved two T's from Mark (mebebraz). An A. moderatum, and A. Avicularia. both are around the 2 inch mark. Due to my apt manager not keeping my box inside like she SWORE she would, and happening to get stuck in traffic for 2 hours on the #$%^%$^&%$ dan ryan xpwy, I got home to find a very chilled (around 45 F ) box conataining two very chilled spiders. At first, I thought them both surely dead. One was half into the death pose, and the other looked almost totally into it. I thought that the cold had perhaps stopped the transition into said pose. However, unwilling to give up hope, I placed them both on my coffee table, (which is glass) and placed a boiled pot of water under said table. about an hour later (now) I have movement out of both, but only if disturbed. Gentle blowing results in either of them scrunching up, then relaxing again. I take that as a good sign. Anyways, I am wondering if any of you have experience in things like this, and might be able to offer any further advice on how to keep them alive. I've used the boiling water pot's steam so that I had no direct heat, and it feels just under 90 on the table, if that. It's slightly warmer than the rest of my apt.

Bill
I had a scare like this happen to me this morning when I received my Fed Ex package with my new spiders. When I opened it, the interior of the box felt stone cold. The heat pad inside was also stone cold as well. I was quite certain my tarantulas would be temperaturely traumatized like yours. But luckily once I opened up their deli cups they were stirring and lively. After I got them into their new Pet Pals they were alright. They're all now recovering from their harrowing trip from one coast to the other.