Tarnatula-sicles

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I received a batch of spiders about a month or so ago... The heatpack used was of the short-lived variety (12 hours, I think). Anyway, I lost most of the spiders (even the ones that were twitching a little)... But one in particular that looked absolutely dead to the world has made an amazing recovery: A 2.5"-ish P. fasciata.

When it arrived, it was curled. I warmed it and kept it on my monitor (which is fairly warm on top) elevated by a small inverted cup within a larger one. I dripped water into its bucal cavity and its legs would twitch and the water would get drained away, so I figured there was hope. I kept the water drip going every other day or so, occasionally mixing cricket goo in with the water (yes, that is definitely one of the top most nauseating things I've ever done).

One day when I left the top off the cup (you don't expect a nearly paralyzed spider to go for a walk), I found it clinging to the side of a nearby dresser! Good sign.

Today, the little guy still can't take live food, but it did molt successfully and can crawl around fairly well, so I'm still optimistic. You just have to be patient with your 'patient' sometimes. ;)

bill

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm glad at least one of the T's made it. But it must make you a little angry the others didn't. I know something like that would make me mad.

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bill, Sorry about your apt manager, let me know how things turn out.
Thanks,
Mark.

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I went out of town for a week a few winters ago and the heater to my 4 inch P. fasciata cage along with the heater to my house went out. When I came home her cage was at 37, I had no idea how long it had been out for but it must have been a while for her to drop that low. She was completely motionless and very dead looking. Using warm moist peat in a deli cup and a heating pad I brought her Temp very slowly up to 85 (about 2 hours) she stayed in there for a month before she got back to herself. A week and a half before she could move. So, stick with them and keep them warm and moist.

Best of luck.
MrMatt

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Conipto
Good luck hope they pull through. My second spider a B smithi (2")arrived after one cold night and I thought it was a goner. It was all curled up ,I placed it the warm and got no response for ages and was about to give up when I carefully nudged it and got a reaction . It came round after a few hours and as been fine since.
So lets hope for your spiders.
Chid

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Thanks for the good wishes, folks. Both are still alive, and the A. moderatum seems to be further improving. It only spends HALF it's time in the death pose now :) The pinktoe has made no progress, I'm pretty sure it's days are numbered.

Bill@ Invertepet - Monitor - great idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it when I have my H. gigas tank on top of my PC for the same reason..

Bill

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bill, I'm glad about the A.Moderatum, and awfully sorry about the pinktoe. You know when I signed off the chat last night, Ron hollered at me to come down to the spider room. Our H.Gigas Prissy was in her water bowl having a real good time. I wish I had a camera so I could show you. Was that a guyana pinktoe? Take care, Pam

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
still alive is good...

Glad you're still seeing improvement Bill. Hopefully they will both make it fine. Surprising what the ol hand warming thing can do huh. :)

Phil

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Bill, I'm reading this late..so I give you my post-traumatic condolences. I pray for the best. Have you tried placing a large dish of water into their container and wrapping it with a heating pad? (2 of the 4 sides). This is what I did when my h. lividum was traumatized by a 50 deg. temp. change. She recovered well after a few weeks of this therapy. Sounds like you are doing an outstanding job as it is.

In Him,
marcus

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Re: still alive is good...

Originally posted by Phillip
Glad you're still seeing improvement Bill. Hopefully they will both make it fine. Surprising what the ol hand warming thing can do huh. :)

Phil

I tried it again last night, and got a Rio that bolted into the hide I made for it. I'm gonna go with healed on that guy :)

Pinktoe all but inert. But, atleast one of em made it.

Bill