tarantulas eating fruit...

mariemaria

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello, everyone {D
My tarantula is well. I have not touched him ever since my last thread.
I have a yearning question to ask.

Is tarantulas eating fruit rare?
Chilean Rose Tarantulas in this case...and small bits of banana being the fruit.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
They will... maybe.

I keep some Tegenaria, and one day, thanks to a niece, I ended up with bits of cantalope in one of my females enclosure (THEY NEED HEALTHY FOOD!! she says:wall: ). So I go to fish em out, and notice she has a small bit in her mouth, carrying it around like it were prey. She did eventually finish it and leave the remains which were a hard, dark yellowish ball... I'll never know whether she just drank from it or actually ate it, but there you go, it's entirely possible if a true spider can do it.

Whether or not it is actually good for them is another matter all together (probably not since they're carnivores).

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ALL my Ts eat fruit. They eat it wrapped up in cricket and locust parcels ;) .

CellebrO

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"The tarantula keeper's guide" says its known to happen. Rarely but it does. And with the Chilian rose being the case - its not hard for me to believe it {D

Randomhero148

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My T likes margaritas and cheese burgers. :)

Im from holland. Isnt that vierd? {D

drunk post.. :8o

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I hope you stoped touching your tarantulas! {D {D
Too much?:confused:
Either this is a really witty fruit-based comment that has sailed far above my head.........or you really ARE drunk and have posted in the wrong thread! :D

(I bet it's the first option! :wall: )

Edit: I think I'm drunk, It WAS the first option...I need to go back to bed!

Randomhero148

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Either this is a really witty fruit-based comment that has sailed far above my head.........or you really ARE drunk and have posted in the wrong thread! :D

(I bet it's the first option! :wall: )

Edit: I think I'm drunk, It WAS the first option...I need to go back to bed!
Sorry but in all seriousness... From your original post you didnt really state wether you have been giving fruit to your tarantula, you only made the suggestion you have. Have you been feeding your tarantula bannanas? If so does he peel it or do you?

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry but in all seriousness... From your original post you didnt really state wether you have been giving fruit to your tarantula, you only made the suggestion you have. Have you been feeding your tarantula bannanas? If so does he peel it or do you?
No bananas. Gives em nightmares (and they have a terrible time trying to peel them) :D .

To the OP: If you want to put some banana in the enclosure, then feel free. I suspect you'll just end up with a gooey mess on the sub that will attract flies but....you never know ;) .

Randomhero148

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Would it be possible to plant a bonzaai bannana tree in the enclosure? That way the T has a constant source of food.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My T's don't eat fruit but they are prone to a can of stella after a slap up crix meal {D

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just got up from a night of a few beers, this thread cleared my head. Now to go feed my kids some Bonzai grown fruit!!!

Thanks for the many laughs!!!
PIG-

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello, everyone {D
My tarantula is well. I have not touched him ever since my last thread.
I have a yearning question to ask.

Is tarantulas eating fruit rare?
Chilean Rose Tarantulas in this case...and small bits of banana being the fruit.
First, your T is a G. rosea. Even though we know what kind of T you are talking about, you should use scientific names.(i am pretty sure you have been told that)

Second, Ts are carnivores, not omnivores.

Third, decaying fruit in with your T just doesn't sound like a good idea. It will attract other organisms that WILL eat it and since you have no idea what those other organisms are, you don't know whether it would be good idea to have them around your T.

In short, i think its a bad and pointless idea.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I haven't heard of tarantulas eating fruit, but it's not impossible. There are non-tarantula spiders that drink nectar and eat plant material, so I suppose a tarantula could do something similar. Since tarantulas don't swallow their prey, but instead masticate and extract the liquids from it, they could do the same to fruit. Most likely they would just be extracting moisture, but who knows. Tarantulas and other spiders have certainly been observed chewing on wet paper towels to extract moisture, and fruit would be much more likely to occur in nature than would paper towels. If you observe one doing it, document your observations. (That would certainly be more productive than a bunch of people who have never tried feeding fruit to their tarantulas lecturing you about how impossible it is.)

Admittedly, feeding fruit to tarantulas as a means of providing water doesn't sound very efficient - but just for experimental purposes, go for it.

MIC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It was a period, that my tarantulas used to sup small pieces of water gel i was given to them. A little bit after i realized that it was much more convenient to give them just water instead of gel.

Anyway, seems to be a very small difference between fruit pieces and gel pieces, isn't it?

To confuse more the situation, my B.smithi goes mad for mushrooms which, for some reason (i.e. seeds from my garden), every now and then sprout in the substrate of her enclosure.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There's actually a thread around here where a T eats a green pea (photos included). Another T is pictured in the thread eating a cucumber.

Zebo777

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How old are you Marie? I bet the spid just getting the moisture out they are scavengers interesting observation. But wat made you think to do it in the first place?

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T sure absorb some plant matter when the devour a prey. Yet it's a tiny fraction of what goes it. Once digested, it comes down to the same elements.