tarantulas eating fruit...

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In the T keepers guide it says that they will sometimes eat grapes, so it does happen. I think they probably get some nutrients out of fruit (sugar, vitamins, starches) as well as water, but I doubt they could survive on it long term. It's an interesting behavior though, especially for an animal that is supposed to be purely carnivorous.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In the T keepers guide it says that they will sometimes eat grapes, so it does happen. I think they probably get some nutrients out of fruit (sugar, vitamins, starches) as well as water, but I doubt they could survive on it long term. It's an interesting behavior though, especially for an animal that is supposed to be purely carnivorous.
I think the fruit is staying put for now :rolleyes:

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is a new one to me.
You might be on to something there with the moisture thing.

There's an anomalous species of monitor lizard who, in a family of obligate carnivores, is the one and only fruit eater - Varanus olivaceus.

I would be surprised, but not totally shocked if someone discovered a fruit eating Theraphosid at some point.

I haven't heard of tarantulas eating fruit, but it's not impossible. There are non-tarantula spiders that drink nectar and eat plant material, so I suppose a tarantula could do something similar. Since tarantulas don't swallow their prey, but instead masticate and extract the liquids from it, they could do the same to fruit. Most likely they would just be extracting moisture, but who knows.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is very interesting I must be fair but until I see evidence that fruit can be beneficial to any of my spids........livefood stays on the menu i'm afraid

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is very interesting I must be fair but until I see evidence that fruit can be beneficial to any of my spids........livefood stays on the menu i'm afraid
Well I don't think anyone is suggesting that you start adding peaches to your feeding rotation, just that some interesting, if anomalous behavior has been recorded in the past.

MorganD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's unfortunate when trolls post intrigueing questions that induce alot of banter.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you put up a troll barrier,you may stop the one or 2 people with genuine Q's........
I know what you mean though......such a waste of time :evil:

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's an interesting behavior though, especially for an animal that is supposed to be purely carnivorous.
"Supposed to be?" I think the thing to keep in mind is that there is no rule book of what is "supposed to be". We make guesses and assumptions based on observations. But we should always be ready to challenge those guesses and assumptions if new observations contradict them.

As for trolls - I'm still undecided as to whether we have a serious troll, or someone with a less-than-disciplined mind that needs a little attention now and then. I would be interested in knowing how old she is. (Anyone want to place bets?)

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if this goes on much longer.....I will grass you out to a mod......this thread has run it's course and serves no purpose.....except to divert attention where it is needed.....to newbies.
paul

Hilikus311

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
{D LOL. . . fruit? I don't think it would be bad, but you run the risk of possible poisoning as some plant have natural barriers against insects, could be the same for arachnids. If it didn't kill your T off the bat then watch it and just be careful next time if you decide to put another piece in. Obviously, it is frowned upon by most T owners, but it's your T and you do what you want in the end. Good luck! and Thanks for the kind words.

if this goes on much longer.....I will grass you out to a mod......this thread has run it's course and serves no purpose.....except to divert attention where it is needed.....to newbies.
paul

:embarrassed: I think you are being a bit excessive in your comments, if not just plain rude. A question is a question and it should be answered, and if memory serves correctly she didn't' specifically ask you for your opinion, or for your continued harrasment in this thread. However, you made your point already now drop it or I may be inclined to "grass you out to a mod."

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
paul
So far you have been a total jerk and its uncalled for. are you a cop? or do you just tattle tell a lot? if you dont like the thread stay off it instead of adding your snide remarks. To the op, i wouldnt do fruit but if the T likes it just be sure to clean up any mess it makes in the tank.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since when is curiosity of a young one considered trolling? :? :confused:

I thought trolling was more like for instance if it had been on this board, "Anyone want to painball wild tarantulas with me" or "You guys spend more time with bugs than people - get a life!" Things that would be obviously responded to in a confrontational way..this just seems like a hypothetical experiment. Kind of like when I was a teen with a collection of earwigs wondering if I could make the males' forceps bigger by selective breeding.

I have yet to see any kind of arachnid eating fruit or veggies but I have seen a true spider drinking a drop of honey.

I myself wouldn't feed any of my tarantulas fruit since very little has been documented about tarantula nutrition and supplements. Also, we're already having a big debate wether vertebrate feeding can do damage without having to think what fruits would do to a tarantula. Some fruits have very high acid content. I love my arachnids and wouldn't want to be careless by feeding my curiosity. I'll let other people "mess up" and read on it. ;P

Plus, sounds a little messy like others have stated. I'll just give fruit via cricket packaging.