tarantula

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
JoeyS, Again, do a thorough search for caresheets, etc. Once you've decided on a species then do a thorough search on it before obtaining.

Why not go ahead and get yourself something like a G pulchra. The docileness and ease of care in itself IMO negates the fairly expensive price tag, which really isn't all that much- 25-40 bucks + LAG shipping if you can't find a local breeder for a sling.

Good luck, and welcome aboard :)

Terry

Last edited:

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why not go ahead and get yourself something like a G pulchra. The docileness and ease of care in itself IMO negates the fairly expensive price tag, which really isn't all that much- 25-40 bucks + LAG shipping if you can't find a local breeder for a sling.Terry
Same goes for G. pulchripes, although a lower price tag :p

OP, just go to the forum search function & enter the name of any species you're interested in. It'll bring up lots of info & pics.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Same goes for G. pulchripes, although a lower price tag :p

OP, just go to the forum search function & enter the name of any species you're interested in. It'll bring up lots of info & pics.
Make sure to search in the Tarantula portion of the site, it is on the right after you hit advanced search. If you don't do it that way, you will get results from the For Sale section and such and get unhelpful threads. Once you have researched to your hearts consent, then search the For Sale section for good deals on your now informed choice. (and use the scientific name when searching, usually just species will work, as there aren't many duplicate species names in too many genera)

I don't think you have given a price range(shipping included) that you are comfortable with/ can afford, care to answer that question?

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First T

Honestly, almost any of the 4 most docile species are fine. It's a matter of price & preference. Theses 4 are: Aphnonopelma, Avicularia, Brachypelma (worst hair-kickers, but arguably the most beautiful), and Grammostola. And as far as preferences goes, color & attractiveness obviously will affect your choice, and life-span and growth-rate may be another factor. All of these spiders are extremly hardy, easy to care for, and docile, and almost all but Avicularia Sp. are slow-growing, long-lived terrestrials. The Avics are fast-moving, fast-growing, tropical arboreals; which need a higher amount of humidity than the mostly arid terrestrials of the other Sp. You really can't go wrong with any of the choices mentioned. Good luck.

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This has been covered time and time again. Try using the search function.
Most likely this person is new to the site. Maybe offering him so help on how to use the search function would be more beneficial and be a bit more encouraging!:confused:

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here are a few reccomendations I would make, and the pros and cons associated with said species:

- Brachypelma Smithi (Mexican Redknee)
* Pros
Beautiful species
Generally VERY docile
Easy to care for
Slow critter
* Cons
Harder to find, generally a bit more pricey
Kick hairs more readily

- Brachypelma Emilia
* Pros
Another beautiful species
Again, generally docile
Dirt mover - Makes some awesome hiding places (this is a double edged sword)
Slow critter
* Cons
Dirt mover - While it makes some interesting hiding places, it can vanish from sight
Not very active, they'll spend days sitting in the same spot, when the lights go out, they'll do their moving

- Grammastole rosea (Chilean Rose Hair)
* Pros
Generally VERY docile
Husbandry - EASY to care for, VERY hardy critters, you can mess up a bit and it isn't the end of the world
Demeanor - They do some wierd stuff a LOT. It's a new day almost everyday with one of these guys. They always keep you guessing.
Very slow critters
* Cons
Bland - they're very plain looking
Activity - One day they're running everywhere, the next they're a pet rock.

- Avicularia avicularia (Pink Toe), Avicularia metallica (White Hair Pink Toe/White Toe) (These are what I started with)
* Pros
AWESOME arboreal tarantulas, they make some pretty impressive webs and are really active
VERY pretty, striking blue colorations, red and white.. breathtaking and very entertaining
Easily one of the most friendly tarantulas I have ever owned, they have never rubbed hairs (they cannot kick them). Pretty easily handleable if you do it close to the ground
* Cons
Jumpers - They can and will jump, if you're holding them too high up, they'll die on impact
The good ole' poop-shoot - When excited or agitated, they can shoot a stream of poo.. a bit difficult to get out of clothing
Faster moving species - they can bolt fairly quickly when they want to
Humidity - Avicularia species' require higher constant humidity for survival

Avicularia versicolor (Antilles pinktoe)
* Pros
VERY pretty T with numerous colorations
Again, like the other Avics, pretty docile, though slightly more aggressive than the others. It's nearly impossible to make my other Avics snap at me.. this is nearly the same, but I've heard it's easier to make them cranky
Activity - While not as active as the other Avics, they're not a pet rock.. and they make some amazing webs too.
Easy to handle if you do it near the ground in case they jump
* Cons
Humidity - again, has to be high and remain that way
They can flick hairs and will do so more readily than the others above stated (though this is still RARE.. at least for me)
Faster tarantula, nothing extremely fast, but they can scoot pretty quickly when they want to
The poop-shoot - As stated above

That's just afew of the tarantulas off the top of my head that I personally would suggest. I would also suggest purchasing a juvie, not a sling. That way you can screw up your husbandry a little here and there and not lose the T (Generally). Slings require more care and a watchful eye. Plus, by getting a Juvie, if you're interested in handling them, you have a chance to feel them out. Food is a lot easier to come by as well for them as you dont have to find somewhere that sells pinhead crickets etc. A water dish can be added to the enclosure thus negating the need to mist one portion of the cage or webbing for the sling to drink from. It also allows you (If you go to a pet store) to handle or watch the T handled before purchasing so you get a feel for the critter right off the bat.

http://www.scottstarantulas.com/tarantulas1.htm - is a great site (while not perfect) it has a list of tarantulas, pics and some general info on the sideboards that's very easy to read. Shows speeds, aprox lifespan, handling warnings, temp/humidity reqs. etc. Take a peek and find one that interests you then look up more info online via caresheets. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'll answer what I can, and if I can't, I'll direct you to something or someone that can :)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most likely this person is new to the site. Maybe offering him so help on how to use the search function would be more beneficial and be a bit more encouraging!:confused:
There is a sticky for that at the top of Question & Discussion sub forum. The link is in my signature. There are many that get tired of people asking simple questions, that would have taken them 1 minute to find an answer to with a search. You really can find answers to questions much faster with a search. You could wait over a day to get a good answers to your question otherwise. Plus, you can differentiate from newbies trying to be helpful and giving advice they have no experience with and the experienced keepers giving advice from being in the hobby for years. Through reading multiple threads and forming your own opinion on the answers, a person can decide how they want to care for their pet. Since there is no one right way to care for a tarantula, a variety of opinions is invaluable.

It is a valid comment though, maybe a bit blunt, but you need thicker skin on the internet and the ability to roll with the punches when something is criticized. :D

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There is a sticky for that at the top of Question & Discussion sub forum. The link is in my signature. There are many that get tired of people asking simple questions, that would have taken them 1 minute to find an answer to with a search. You really can find answers to questions much faster with a search. You could wait over a day to get a good answers to your question otherwise. Plus, you can differentiate from newbies trying to be helpful and giving advice they have no experience with and the experienced keepers giving advice from being in the hobby for years. Through reading multiple threads and forming your own opinion on the answers, a person can decide how they want to care for their pet. Since there is no one right way to care for a tarantula, a variety of opinions is invaluable.

It is a valid comment though, maybe a bit blunt, but you need thicker skin on the internet and the ability to roll with the punches when something is criticized. :D
Maybe people who rant and rave about posting reoccurring threads could grow some thinker skin as well!:D

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
I am probably going to get Brachypelma Smithi and Avicularia versicolor juveniles . Anyways I’ve been searching the net for enclosure for the juveniles . I seen some people use “hobby cubes” which I can’t seem to find anywhere , so I am not sure people get them please let me know thanks

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Check out craft stores, like Michael's. Also, Walmart has tons of items in the food storage & organization bin areas that can easily be turned into tarantula containers.

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This has been covered time and time again. Try using the search function.
RUDE! Why do some of you have to be so anal and not helpful? U were new once

Versi's are a beautiful arboreal and unless you get a bigger smithi, they do take quite awhile to grow. The G. rosea you can't go wrong and of course A. avic. G. pulchripes are great Ts too. Honestly these are a few that I started out with and I promise the more you learn the more you will fall in love with them!

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter

Versi's are a beautiful arboreal and unless you get a bigger smithi, they do take quite awhile to grow. The G. rosea you can't go wrong and of course A. avic. G. pulchripes are great Ts too. Honestly these are a few that I started out with and I promise the more you learn the more you will fall in love with them!
So b.smithi are slow grower's? and a.avic are fast grower's? i really want a b.smithi i think they look great and a avic's have amazing color

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes from what I've learned most Brachypelma species take a long time to grow, which is kinda good because you know you'll have them for a long time. Avics are fairly fast growers great!!

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
there's a few thing's i cant find one is a printable care sheet on b.smthi's and A.versicolor i like to have all my info printed out so i can look and read it not run to the computer and find it or whatever.. and housing juveniles i cant see to find info on that really i mean i find bits here and there ;/

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man, quit complaining about rudeness! Please! You are not responsible for anyone's feelings, but your own. If the OP felt that it was rude, he has had ample time to voice his opinion on the matter. There was absolutely NO reason to state that someone had been rude once if it isn't your thread, let alone twice. Why people feel the need to tell others to 'be nice and polite' is beyond me.

Yes, we have all been new once. Some of us want to do thorough research and utilize the search engine to that end. Others have a different approach, but the comment that has you up in arms was simply a blunt way to give the best advice there is with a question like the OP's.

OP, online care sheets are absolute crap in most cases. Do not try and go by them as your go to source. If you want to print yourself proper care instructions and information on the spider, find and compose the way you are going to care for the animal and relevant facts on Notebook or Word and print it out. Go to the library or visit Amazon and borrow/ invest in the Tarantula Keeper's Guide. Many of these questions you are asking are answered there too in a very easy to read format, if you don't wish to utilize the search function. Plus it is a reliable source if you want pictures as well.

Last edited:

peterock44

Arachnopeon
I am probably going to get Brachypelma Smithi and Avicularia versicolor juveniles . Anyways I’ve been searching the net for enclosure for the juveniles . I seen some people use “hobby cubes” which I can’t seem to find anywhere , so I am not sure people get them please let me know thanks
if your local craft type store doesnt carry the "hobby cubes" that are popular (mine doesnt) check out the containerstore dot com, search for amac in the search bar.

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Man, quit complaining about rudeness! Please! You are not responsible for anyone's feelings, but your own. If the OP felt that it was rude, he has had ample time to voice his opinion on the matter. There was absolutely NO reason to state that someone had been rude once if it isn't your thread, let alone twice. Why people feel the need to tell others to 'be nice and polite' is beyond me.

Yes, we have all been new once. Some of us want to do thorough research and utilize the search engine to that end. Others have a different approach, but the comment that has you up in arms was simply a blunt way to give the best advice there is with a question like the OP's.

OP, online care sheets are absolute crap in most cases. Do not try and go by them as your go to source. If you want to print yourself proper care instructions and information on the spider, find and compose the way you are going to care for the animal and relevant facts on Notebook or Word and print it out. Go to the library or visit Amazon and borrow/ invest in the Tarantula Keeper's Guide. Many of these questions you are asking are answered there too in a very easy to read format, if you don't wish to utilize the search function. Plus it is a reliable source if you want pictures as well.
Maybe some people realize this is a starting point for people and as they get more familiar with this site they will understand how to use the search function, as well as how to find information about other topics. You criticize people for worrying about others feelings yet you do the same thing when people comment about rudeness. Maybe some people try to find the positive side to things. Relax and quit getting so uptight about other peoples replies. Sorry if I seem a bit to "blunt"!

PhobeToPhile

Arachnoknight
IMO, I would NOT use care sheets. Alot of care sheets out there are just plain wrong, although written by well-meaning people I'm sure. Getting The Tarantula Keeper's Guide by Schultz and Schultz (2009) and doing research on this site works better. It's first hand experience (the authors of the Guide have kept thousands of tarantulas, and here on this site you can get multiple perspectives).

Incidentally, the basic setup for B. smithi and A. avicularia (pinktoe) are pretty much listed in Schultz and Schultz, as well as a wealth of other infromation. Housing juveniles is also covered, and the book is only around 20 bucks.

How big-or small- a juvenile are you thinking of? 1 inch sling, or larger/smaller.

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
IMO, I would NOT use care sheets. Alot of care sheets out there are just plain wrong, although written by well-meaning people I'm sure. Getting The Tarantula Keeper's Guide by Schultz and Schultz (2009) and doing research on this site works better. It's first hand experience (the authors of the Guide have kept thousands of tarantulas, and here on this site you can get multiple perspectives).

Incidentally, the basic setup for B. smithi and A. avicularia (pinktoe) are pretty much listed in Schultz and Schultz, as well as a wealth of other infromation. Housing juveniles is also covered, and the book is only around 20 bucks.

How big-or small- a juvenile are you thinking of? 1 inch sling, or larger/smaller.
Not really sure on how big at least 1 inch( i rather bigger cause i'd like to watch them grow).. lol now thats a newbie anwser hehe..also thanks for the book title ill pick one up soon

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe some people realize this is a starting point for people and as they get more familiar with this site they will understand how to use the search function, as well as how to find information about other topics. You criticize people for worrying about others feelings yet you do the same thing when people comment about rudeness. Maybe some people try to find the positive side to things. Relax and quit getting so uptight about other peoples replies. Sorry if I seem a bit to "blunt"!
Man, I'm done. Me telling people to knock of their teacher like rules of classroom etiquette on an internet forum is not being rude. I am not the one that needs to relax, you are the one that called someone rude. I asked you politely to stop it, I even said please twice.

How on earth telling someone that they are being rude, is seeing the positive side of things I have no clue. Because to me, it is petty bickering over something in a thread that wasn't yours. So, I am done with the thread jack, as I have nothing further to offer the OP. I suggest you do the same and please quit trying to make people communicate in a way you would. Blunt is not rude, it is simply not sugar coated and that is how some people are. I'm sure you have run into them in real life and I doubt you tell them to quit being rude.:rolleyes: