Tarantula recommendations

I am Raf

Arachnopeon
Hello!

The British Tarantula Society exhibition is approaching fast and I'm looking to expand my collection. I've been looking at the traders' websites and the variety has my head spinning, and I can't make up my mind on what to get.

So, I wanted to ask if anyone could list their favourite(s) based on the following:

A new world terrestrial

A new world fossorial

An old world terrestrial

An old world fossorial

Heavy webbers

Dwarf species

Most unique behaviour/appearance

Thank you!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
What are you currently keeping? Do you already have old world ? Plus Europe often has species we can’t get in America .

I am Raf

Arachnopeon
What are you currently keeping? Do you already have old world ? Plus Europe often has species we can’t get in America .
Got a nice mix of new worlds and old worlds at the moment - Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, Acanthoscurria, Chromatopelma, Theraposa, Psalmopeus, Pterinochilus, Chilobrachys, Poecilotheria, Cyrioagopus, the list goes on.

I also keep scorpions, centipedes, mantises, assassin bugs and vinegaroons so nothing is really off limits, and I don't mind the more reclusive nor more defensive species

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
just buy one of each aaand maybe it will hold that itch to expand your collection off a few months or years:rofl:

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Harpactira pulchripes, any Brachypelma, or Aphonopelma would be my suggestion. All look very nice in their own ways.

H pulchripes gold and blue...need I say more. Spicy T, fast, fierce, and venomous. Definitely requires attention and care when maintaining. They are stunning T's though.

Brachypelma sp, called fire-legs for a reason. Feisty, but tend to be fairly calm most of the time. Nice reds and blacks. Terrestrial but do well with burrows and hides.

Aphonopelma sp, often regarded as very laid back T's with pleasant earthy tones. Terrestrial but enjoy shallow burrows or hides.

Nhandu/Vittatus sp, feisty for a NW T, personable and look very cool. Terrestrial/fossorial tendencies.

These, I feel, are readily available in many parts of the world at reasonable prices and are generally easy to keep. Good luck, hard to make a wrong choice when it comes to T's.

If you are looking for crazy spiders get any Ornithoctoninae genus. I'd imagine availability is better in Europe and Asia than in NA.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Got a nice mix of new worlds and old worlds at the moment - Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, Acanthoscurria, Chromatopelma, Theraposa, Psalmopeus, Pterinochilus, Chilobrachys, Poecilotheria, Cyrioagopus, the list goes on.

I also keep scorpions, centipedes, mantises, assassin bugs and vinegaroons so nothing is really off limits, and I don't mind the more reclusive nor more defensive species
Pterinochilus and
centipedes are pretty crazy I think you can handle keeping anything. I only keep terrestrials at the moment ran out of money . First I have to find a job then a way to sneak Ts in or convince parents to let me get more , so be lucky 🍀 you aren’t dealing with this . You got an idea what species are going to be available at this expo ? So I don’t list species you already got .

I am Raf

Arachnopeon
just buy one of each aaand maybe it will hold that itch to expand your collection off a few months or years:rofl:
If I had enough space I'd probably try something like that, but alas, my bedroom is bound by the laws of physics

Harpactira pulchripes, any Brachypelma, or Aphonopelma would be my suggestion. All look very nice in their own ways.

H pulchripes gold and blue...need I say more. Spicy T, fast, fierce, and venomous. Definitely requires attention and care when maintaining. They are stunning T's though.

Brachypelma sp, called fire-legs for a reason. Feisty, but tend to be fairly calm most of the time. Nice reds and blacks. Terrestrial but do well with burrows and hides.

Aphonopelma sp, often regarded as very laid back T's with pleasant earthy tones. Terrestrial but enjoy shallow burrows or hides.

Nhandu/Vittatus sp, feisty for a NW T, personable and look very cool. Terrestrial/fossorial tendencies.

These, I feel, are readily available in many parts of the world at reasonable prices and are generally easy to keep. Good luck, hard to make a wrong choice when it comes to T's.

If you are looking for crazy spiders get any Ornithoctoninae genus. I'd imagine availability is better in Europe and Asia than in NA.
Aside from the H pulchripes, would you recommend any specific species from each genus you mentioned?

Pterinochilus and
centipedes are pretty crazy I think you can handle keeping anything. I only keep terrestrials at the moment ran out of money . First I have to find a job then a way to sneak Ts in or convince parents to let me get more , so be lucky 🍀 you aren’t dealing with this . You got an idea what species are going to be available at this expo ? So I don’t list species you already got .
I'd honestly be hard to list all of them, there's quite the few breeders/traders here in the UK with some impressive stock. As for the animals I keep, yeah. I'm comfortable keeping pretty much anything, that's why wanted to ask people what their favourites are and not necessarily "beginner" species

Just buy whatever Cyriocosmus species you can get, thank me later.
Just had a quick look at them and I'm liking what I'm seeing, especially Cyriocosmus ritae, thank you for the suggestion!

Last edited:

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
BTS I am seething with jealousy but okay

Ephebopus cyanognathus, get a sling, basically the best in every regard

They build beautiful turrets... it counts as webbing right?

I used to call them shy eaters until my little guy came flying out of his turret as I was peeling his utterly disruptive lid off, bro was ready to risk it for the crick-et 🤣

My young adult female is out exploring every night now

Urticating hairs in the front, little orange hearts on their legs poking out when they're hungry

Strangely meticulous, unless they run out of turret building materials they seem to establish a poop corner and stick to it

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I got a saved top 10 list kinda leaves your ideas 💡 open !
  1. King baboon
  2. Pamphobetus sp. Platyomma
  3. T stirmi /Theraphosa stirmi
  4. Tliltocatl vegans
  5. Brachypelma boehmei
  6. Any baboon tree spider
  7. gbb
  8. Poecilotheria
  9. T vagans
  10. A genic

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I got a saved top 10 list kinda leaves your ideas 💡 open !
  1. King baboon
  2. Pamphobetus sp. Platyomma
  3. T stirmi /Theraphosa stirmi
  4. Tliltocatl vegans
  5. Brachypelma boehmei
  6. Any baboon tree spider
  7. gbb
  8. Poecilotheria
  9. T vagans
  10. A genic
What are the husbandry differences between #4 and #9, besides diet?

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
If I had enough space I'd probably try something like that, but alas, my bedroom is bound by the laws of physics

Aside from the H pulchripes, would you recommend any specific species from each genus you mentioned?

I'd honestly be hard to list all of them, there's quite the few breeders/traders here in the UK with some impressive stock. As for the animals I keep, yeah. I'm comfortable keeping pretty much anything, that's why wanted to ask people what their favourites are and not necessarily "beginner" species

Just had a quick look at them and I'm liking what I'm seeing, especially Cyriocosmus ritae, thank you for the suggestion!
B auratum or B boehmei, my personal favourites. Relaxed and slow moving and their colours are really nice even at a young age

A chalcodes look really cool for a "plain" tarantula and they don't get huge but they are very highly acclaimed for their quirky behaviour and relaxed nature.

V chromatus are really personable, even as a sling mine is fearless and will rush towards any movement in the enclosure. If you want a terrestrial NW T that thinks it's an OW T this is the perfect spider. Oh they look really cool with Skelly legs, red and black abdomen with a light carapace.

Ornithoctoninae: fast growth, fast, venomous, and do not mess around! Top opening door and plenty of room for these ones.

Ornithoctonus - Asian burrowers, very fast but spend most of their time deep in their burrow so usually not an issue. O aureotibialis is one of my favourite tarantulas but there are so many species in this genus and all have super cool patterns.

Phormingochilus - some of the coolest Asian arboreals to exist, seriously on par with Pokies. From Borneo this genus has some really nice looking "tiger tree spiders" Phormingochilus sp Sabah Blue and P everetti are renowned for their vibrant colours. Very fast, great feeding response, very reclusive but patterns and colours are worth it.

Omothymus violaceopes are really cool but they get quite large ~9" max size. Fast, reclusive but an absolute gem when on display. Top opening enclosure highly recommended.

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Alternatively

1: A genic
2: A genic
3: A genic
4: A genic
5: A genic
6: A genic
7: A genic
8: A genic
9: A genic
10: A genic

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
A new world terrestrial

A new world fossorial

An old world terrestrial

An old world fossorial

Heavy webbers

Dwarf species

Most unique behaviour/appearance
Pick a Pampho

Ephebopus spp

Any Harpactira

Chilobrachys spp

Harpactira or chilobrachy spp that you didnt get for previous 2 :p

Cyriocosmus spp

I.mira

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
D pentaloris or an even more rare/colourful Davus species? Cute little dwarves that are low stress to keep

Some freaky fossorial such as Ceratogyrus darlingi or Liphistius sp.? Just something that looks super weird, but doesn't come out much.