Tarantula Hut Petco

Bambu

Arachnopeon
I see, sorry guys. No more petco!
I hope you aren't deterred from participating here due to the criticism by the way, I assure you everyone here just wants the best for the Ts. I know that probably doesn't mean much coming from someone who's still a "peon", but once you get used to the "blunt talk", this place's helpfulness really shines.

bonsaimaster1

Arachnopeon
I hope you aren't deterred from participating here due to the criticism by the way, I assure you everyone here just wants the best for the Ts. I know that probably doesn't mean much coming from someone who's still a "peon", but once you get used to the "blunt talk", this place's helpfulness really shines.
Oh its no problem, I've had much worse on another forum, trust me! I can't wait to get started with all of you guys. I am very new to raising Ts and will need some help I am sure. I have raised mantises and am now ready for a new challenge! :)

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
Oh its no problem, I've had much worse on another forum, trust me! I can't wait to get started with all of you guys. I am very new to raising Ts and will need some help I am sure. I have raised mantises and am now ready for a new challenge! :)
Glad to see you're not deterred... Some people here were pretty outright rude - I'm sorry some people jumped on you. But as you can tell, a big part of the hobbyists are against Petco and Petsmart selling a wider range of Ts. Basically, don't breathe either of those words and you'll be golden. ;P Welcome to the forums!

bonsaimaster1

Arachnopeon
Glad to see you're not deterred... Some people here were pretty outright rude - I'm sorry some people jumped on you. But as you can tell, a big part of the hobbyists are against Petco and Petsmart selling a wider range of Ts. Basically, don't breathe either of those words and you'll be golden. ;P Welcome to the forums!
Got it, thanks grimmjowls! BTW, love bleach!!! :)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Seems like no matter what your interests are some clowns without a clue (or a care) will ruin it. In this case jeopardizing our invertebrate keeping hobby. Let us hope that keeping Tarantulas in those death vials out in the open next to the box-o-roaches and the box-o-crickets is not a common factor at all the petcos nationwide.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Unfortunately that's how they were at the one Petco I went to up the road from me. There's one or two others in the area but a bit out of my way.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Ok, they were across the aisle from each other but yeah...same deal. All New World species, i didn't even bother to see which species they had. Only reason I went in was because I wanted to see for myself. Saw them, looked for about ten seconds, then left feeling upset.

cold blood

Staff member
I checked my local Petco (there are several on the other side of town) and they were not selling ts.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Also dont use common names like i do lol you'll be lynched ;)

Haha but seriously welcome :)

queenieheather

Arachnopeon
So I was in my local Petco and saw they had T's for sale... I asked the sales lady what type they were.

She said, "Well one is a curly tail." :banghead:

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I checked my local Petco, and I had no luck. They weren't selling T's yet. As usual however, the care is terribe. Way to go Petco! :banghead::jimlad:

Vindicta

Arachnopeon
Yeah, that's very concerning. OP, were they locked behind glass originally and you just put them on a shelf for a picture or were they out there on a shelf to begin with?
At my petco they are locked behind glass.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I'm about to go check the petco in brea and there's a petsmart across the street. OBT....?

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Hey guys, geez, I left this post up for one day and this is what happens!:) Thank you very much for everyone who welcomed me to the site. I just found these at petco and worried about how they were treated so I went ahead and bought one and saved one of them from the torture of that store. They had them out in the open, but when I asked if this was appropriate for them (container and open-wise to the public) they finally put those little containers in the actual glass cages to keep them humid and away from younger customers! Thank god for common sense. However, these poor spiderlings will most-likely die due to starvation. When I asked someone to feed them, they stated that "everyone was scared of tarantulas and didn't want to or know how to feed them". What really pissed me off, was that fact that they did put in food for them to eat, sadly, the crickets that were in their cage were about triple the small tarantulas size!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead: I can't believe how bad these creatures were treated... I just want to buy and save them all!!!
I broke down and saved a poor little B. Vagans today to later realize that me saving one likely means that they will replace it with two more poor little guys. They knew next to nothing about them and had oversized crickets in those terrible tanks with them. Took the thing straight home, set it up in a nice deli cup with vermiculite and coco fiber, fed it, and now its in my micro-climate with my more fortunate Paul Becker slings.

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The average whoever that is going to buy these impulsively is not likely to want to wait for these slings to reach a larger size.

Tygarys

Arachnopeon
I wonder if these are selling well for them, the way they are displayed doesn't seem to be very good for selling. They are kept behind glass, most of the spiders are hiding so you can't see them, and the labels that tell you whats in them are turned away from the customer. The only way to get a look at these is to try to track someone down that will open the case so you can pull them out to look at them, if you can get someone to do that. Most of my local stores initially sold these, but now they no longer have any and are using the space for other animals.