Tarantula Hut Petco

Bambu

Arachnopeon
As for being educated, im pretty sure a 5 year old can wing it better without the misinformation a salesmen is gonna give them. If their uneducated (im NOT sayin thats a good thing) they have a 50/50 shot at getting it rite. If a petco salesmen "educates" them then they will 99/100 get wrong lol
Oh, right. That makes a lot more sense... Sorry, I'm used to people selling live animals actually caring about them and having a bit of knowledge. Sigh. :(

cold blood

Staff member
lol, but in all fairness it's the OP's first post.
Which is a clear indicator that the op did NO reading prior to posting...which used to be a requirement just to be able to post. One quick browse and he would have seen a bevy of active threads on this very subject.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
@bonsaimaster1 it is highly frowned upon to purchase arachnids from petco or petsmart, especially petco. there is essentially a hobby wide protest against them currently. petco does not offer even remotely acceptable conditions for them to live in, as well as not providing remotely adequate information for any novice to successfully keep them. they are also providing VERY irresponsible options with no regard to the purchasers experience. many of the species options theyve made available have very potent venom and are notoriously defensive species, which WILL bite and put people in the hospital, especially a parent buying one for their preteen child.

i congratulate you and welcome you to the wonderful hobby of tarantulas if you have any questions on how to keep a happy healthy t feel more than free to pm me, ask away in the forums, or search the forums for someone else who had posted a similar concer (easiest way to do this is to search in google "(insert issue or question here) arachnoboards" and you will find a list of previous threads.

i also implore you, moving forward, to no longer shop at petco and purchase no further specimens from them. ask around on here, look in the classifieds section, or visit a respectable online dealer (jrsinvertibrates.com, kenthebugguy.com, swiftsinverts.com ect ect ect) you will have a much better experience and often find better deals and guaranteed healthy specimens that way as well as funding the hobby. people help each other out, pretty much any order from an online dealer involves a freebie.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Which is a clear indicator that the op did NO reading prior to posting...which used to be a requirement just to be able to post. One quick browse and he would have seen a bevy of active threads on this very subject.
I dug back in the T Chat subforum for those page by page. I only saw two others related, but not worth linking including one of my own about hobby inventory effects, not quite a bevy by my standards but I admit I didn't dig in this subforum and possibly missed others if the titles weren't obvious :p However, that's not to say I don't disagree with probably not doing any digging back a few pages. Maybe after 15+ years of internet forums I've just accepted that nothing's going to change so I can either just go with it, ignore it, or get annoyed. I just wanted to be cordial :)

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
@bonsaimaster1pretty much any order from an online dealer involves a freebie.
That has not been my experience at all. I don't know that I've ever received a freebie including with an order this year of over $300 of multiple T's at various sizes. I was hoping for one but nope.

Actually, I take that back, one of the local LPS's discounted my Lp sling 100% ($14) when I bought about $200 worth of T's and supplies then the next time I bought another $200 worth a few weeks later and they discounted a book about Avics I picked out that was $10 and a tiny Hapalopus sp. "Pumpkin Patch" sling that was $5 to free as well. Online dealers I have never received a freebie.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That has not been my experience at all. I don't know that I've ever received a freebie including with an order this year of over $300 of multiple T's at various sizes. I was hoping for one but nope.
That's not fair :-/

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter

Actually, I take that back, one of the local LPS's discounted my Lp sling 100% ($14) when I bought about $200 worth of T's and supplies then the next time I bought another $200 worth a few weeks later and they discounted a book about Avics I picked out that was $10 and a tiny Hapalopus sp. "Pumpkin Patch" sling that was $5 to free as well. Online dealers I have never received a freebie.
wow thats a shame, i think ive received a freebie every time ive ordered, specifically form those three that ive mentioned, several dealers have specific freebie policies set such as swifts, who give a freebie for every purchase over 20$. also i think just about every deal ive made with members on here have involved freebies with the exception of 2 or 3 occasions.

cold blood

Staff member
I dug back in the T Chat subforum for those page by page. I only saw two others related, but not worth linking including one of my own about hobby inventory effects, not quite a bevy by my standards but I admit I didn't dig in this subforum and possibly missed others if the titles weren't obvious :p However, that's not to say I don't disagree with probably not doing any digging back a few pages. Maybe after 15+ years of internet forums I've just accepted that nothing's going to change so I can either just go with it, ignore it, or get annoyed. I just wanted to be cordial :)
its easily been the hottest topic on AB for the past bit....and I stand by the term bevy, as its accurate.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/species-confusion.282899/

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/petco-conference-call-info.282783/

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/for-those-who-havent-seen.282851/

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/petco-t-inventory-effect-on-availability.282785/#post-2465631

Heck its so popular Jose mentioned it in this title as the Petco news is dominating the boards as of late.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/in-other-news-besides-petco.282853/

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Agreed, I don't think I've ever not gotten a freebie. I even got a couple freebie slings for a MM loan.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Except two of those are duplicates, both my thread which I mentioned I didn't link because I didn't think it was really worth it (in the context of OP's post) :p "Species confusion" isn't exactly something I'd click on if I were digging for Petco T threads as a newbie or heck even as an "Old Timer" reading through the forums. It might come up in a site specific search for Petco but I did one for "petco tarantula huts site:arachnoboards.com" earlier on Google, only the conference call link came up and the species confusion link.

I'm not really trying to argue with you just saying it's not exactly an onslaught when it's five posts or so out of over more than 10x that judging by thread titles over the last 24 hours-ish, which is what most people use to decide whether to read a post or if its relevant to a question they have, and even Google isn't picking all of them up (I can post screen shots, maybe I'm just unlucky and Google hates me? lol *shrugs*). You're certainly free to describe it how you interpret it though.

But in the interest of avoiding further back and forth that's five threads instead of my four and I believe five is where I can agree to the term "bevy" :)

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
wow thats a shame, i think ive received a freebie every time ive ordered, specifically form those three that ive mentioned, several dealers have specific freebie policies set such as swifts, who give a freebie for every purchase over 20$. also i think just about every deal ive made with members on here have involved freebies with the exception of 2 or 3 occasions.
One of those orders was from Ken for $125. He did send me the exact same order the next day on accident though lol. Obviously I told him as soon as I realized what the box was and he paid for return shipping (went back out that same day). Never ordered from either of the others or other members of the forum (individuals haven't really seemed to have enough of what I want when I want to order to make shipping worthwhile to me or shipping has been excessive).

cold blood

Staff member
[
Thank you, I couldn't read the packaging in the picture clearly, but that's what it probably is. There are so many "white banded" that it's really absurd.
huh, the packages posted earlier looked pretty clear. Nhandu coloratovillsus

bonsaimaster1

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, geez, I left this post up for one day and this is what happens!:) Thank you very much for everyone who welcomed me to the site. I just found these at petco and worried about how they were treated so I went ahead and bought one and saved one of them from the torture of that store. They had them out in the open, but when I asked if this was appropriate for them (container and open-wise to the public) they finally put those little containers in the actual glass cages to keep them humid and away from younger customers! Thank god for common sense. However, these poor spiderlings will most-likely die due to starvation. When I asked someone to feed them, they stated that "everyone was scared of tarantulas and didn't want to or know how to feed them". What really pissed me off, was that fact that they did put in food for them to eat, sadly, the crickets that were in their cage were about triple the small tarantulas size!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead: I can't believe how bad these creatures were treated... I just want to buy and save them all!!!

bonsaimaster1

Arachnopeon
BTW, this tarantula species name is Nhandu coloratovillosus. I also wanted to mention how I belong to the Mantidforum and do rather prefer to buy from private dealers as I do happen to get free insects or items from time to time. I was just in petco to check on the torture levels of the animals and found these tarantula babies. Poor things...

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Hey guys, geez, I left this post up for one day and this is what happens!:) Thank you very much for everyone who welcomed me to the site. I just found these at petco and worried about how they were treated so I went ahead and bought one and saved one of them from the torture of that store. They had them out in the open, but when I asked if this was appropriate for them (container and open-wise to the public) they finally put those little containers in the actual glass cages to keep them humid and away from younger customers! Thank god for common sense. However, these poor spiderlings will most-likely die due to starvation. When I asked someone to feed them, they stated that "everyone was scared of tarantulas and didn't want to or know how to feed them". What really pissed me off, was that fact that they did put in food for them to eat, sadly, the crickets that were in their cage were about triple the small tarantulas size!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead: I can't believe how bad these creatures were treated... I just want to buy and save them all!!!
Just try and refrain from "rescuing" any more. All you are doing is rewarding Petco for the maltreatment