Tarantula hunter!

magneto

Arachnoknight
I'm picking up this vicious killer in a few weeks. He's a male longhaired dachshund. My father has always wished that I would share his passion for hunting so I thought I could train him as a tarantula hunter. Dachshunds are bred to burrow into holes to scare out small game and vermin so it's the ideal breed for tarantulas. He'll go down the burrow to scare them out, I'll stand ready on top with a landing net, a pair of tweezers and a small paintbrush. This will be fun!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You got me there a moment before I saw the picture....I went from 'wtf?' to 'wait a minute, lol!' in one second.
Well played sir :)

Adorable, euhm, I mean fearsome machine you have there :D

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Not a name that is used in Norway. The common nickname here is, when directly translated, "stovepipe". :rolleyes:
Here their name sounds like 'tackle', which I think is appropriate considering they are very good at tackling people :D

magneto

Arachnoknight
Here their name sounds like 'tackle', which I think is appropriate considering they are very good at tackling people :D
The problem is that, according to themselves, there isn't a creature on this earth that they wouldn't be able to tackle. They would charge a angry rhino with no second thought. :p

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The problem is that, according to themselves, there isn't a creature on this earth that they wouldn't be able to tackle. They would charge a angry rhino with no second thought.
Sad but true. Mine went out to defend her home against a pack of coyotes. Fool hardy fearless. Have you had it checked for potential spinal problems? Best of luck to you both.

magneto

Arachnoknight
Sad but true. Mine went out to defend her home against a pack of coyotes. Fool hardy fearless. Have you had it checked for potential spinal problems? Best of luck to you both.
I haven't picked him up yet, still a few weeks until he's mine. And the breeder gets him a full checkup, including spinal check, before I get him.

The Snark

Old Timer
Good luck, again. Generally speaking, you will own a dog smarter than the average human, IMHO. They are past masters at problem solving and connecting thought train dots.

Best anecdote. Friend locked her dachs doggy door to keep her out while the newly cleaned kitchen door dried. Dog tried to go in then stared at the door. She was furious and gave my friend the cold shoulder for a solid week. Go sit on the couch with the dog, the dog would more to another chair and stare daggers at her.

After all, these were trained to hunt badgers in their holes. An animal several times more powerful and dangerous.

The Snark

Old Timer
PS Weird dachs trait: some can run, or at least lope, backwards. Never seen any other dog do that. Kept them alive in the holes worrying badgers.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
So cute! This picture was certainly worth the wait. :) I'm already imagining a situation where he puts his head down a prairie dog hole, stretches out, and ends up with his head sticking out one end and his back end out the other.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I pronounce "Dachshund" the original German way (for obvious reasons). But I find that most people have no idea what I am talking about since everyone around here pronounces it the (to my ears) horrible "American" way "dot sand" or whatever they say. *Shutters* :alien:hurting:

@magneto Beyond cute puppy!!! :)