Tarantula hunter!

magneto

Arachnoknight
We pronounce it pretty much identical to original German in Norway. Up until recently I thought the Americans would just say dachshound as that would be the logical translation.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
We pronounce it pretty much identical to original German in Norway. Up until recently I thought the Americans would just say dachshound as that would be the logical translation.
Well let's just say when it comes to pronouncing this breed's name all bets are off. :shifty::sour:

I guess I am a bit different than a lot of my fellow Americans around me. Having learned 3 languages thus far I am much more sensitive to proper pronunciations.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Hearing Americans speaking German words is like watching an English movie narrated by Germans, so I guess they're pretty much even, all things considered :D

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Recalling asking my friend, ahem, mein freund, Herr Dietrich - linguistics professor, how to pronounce doxsend: "Well you have High Deutsch....., Archaic ..... Prussian influenced ....... Slavic Influenced...... Stuttgart modern proper......
He had to have rattled off about 12 different pronunciations ending with "I prefer Dahks huundt. Note the syllabic emphasis."

Last edited: