Tarantula found in banana shipment!

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Looks like something else to me... something both of us keep. :)

Eric
The one in the video that Syndicate posted? The grape spider ?:?

I do believe that the spider found in the banannas, is a H. triseratus.

Later, Tom

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The one in the video that Syndicate posted? The grape spider ?:?

I do believe that the spider found in the banannas, is a H. triseratus.

Later, Tom
Oops, my bad, got confused what spider you were talking about!

Eric

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey amazing find! Didn't a similar thing happen in the movie 'Deadly Cargo'? Some tarantulas were amongst a shipment of coffee beans from South America and attacked an American town in this fictional film but oddly enough, I think they were Mexican Red Knees!

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looked like a Cyriocosmus sp. to me. :?

Im confused I thought the T in the bananas was different than the one in the grapes. anyways both are really cool looking. I like the one in the grapes more thought, looks sorta like an avic.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Im confused I thought the T in the bananas was different than the one in the grapes. anyways both are really cool looking. I like the one in the grapes more thought, looks sorta like an avic.
Oh boy, what a mess I'm turning this thread into, haha.

I believe the first spider in this thread, found in the banannas, is a H. triseratus.

Then Syndicate posted a video of one found in the grapes. That spider looks like a Cyriocosmus sp. to me, not an Avicularia sp.

I do think H. triseratus is a different spider than the Cyriocosmus sp. "grapes" :)

Later, Tom

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
O
Then Syndicate posted a video of one found in the grapes. That spider looks like a Cyriocosmus sp. to me
The "grapes" spider looks like a little Paraphysa/Euathlus jobby to me.

Eric

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
The "grapes" spider looks like a little Paraphysa/Euathlus jobby to me.
I could believe that too, It would make sence to since they refer to it as a Chilean sp. Definitly not an Avic.

Later, Tom

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's another "Banana" spider that came in a shipment into Philly this summer...seems it's a more common occurance...and genus?

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OK, that's it, I am going to be a whole semi full of banana boxes tomorrow!

This is getting really crazy!

Martin

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's another "Banana" spider that came in a shipment into Philly this summer...seems it's a more common occurance...and genus?

you're joking right!?! holy crap

tell me you bought this one... cause if you didn't i'm gonna start a business importing bananas! lol

that's a H. triseratus as well!

dan

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OK, that's it, I am going to be a whole semi full of banana boxes tomorrow!

This is getting really crazy!

Martin
Sheesh, who would have known a trip to the local fruit market could be a rare find.

I worked for a man who owned a couple of fruit markets in town, when told of my tarantula collection. He mentioned finding large spiders in the bananas happened occasionally. He first tried to give them to pet stores, then to the humane society, with no luck they had to consider it a pest and destoyed them when found.

While working for him I offered to take the pests away if any were found. I never heard back.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you're joking right!?! holy crap

tell me you bought this one... cause if you didn't i'm gonna start a business importing bananas! lol

that's a H. triseratus as well!

dan
Nope, why buy something that was free?
{D

-It is however not in my possession, it belongs to a museum collection now.

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Wow, realy nice spider UrbanJungles.

I took some pics of a banana wholesaler in Costa Rica in 2006. I cant speek for columbian banana's but I cant imagine where a tarantula would hop on for a ride. After the bananas go through this process they are bagged and boxed and sent to there destination.

Every "clutch" of bananas on every tree was wrapped in plastic to protect from preditors as well.(sorry no pic of that)

Attachments

c'est ma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Fascinating pics!

I remember our bus in Costa Rica stopping because bananas were crossing the road...there was a sort of overhead automatic conveyor line and huge bunches of field-cut bananas were hanging from it, on their way to the next step, what ever that would have been. Maybe something like the above. :)

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great, all i ever find are frogs in my produce. I feel so gipped. :8o

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Danny, when exactly was it that you found that t in your produce?

so if it's from produce, that means it's from the wild... does it eat well? the reason i'm asking all this is because it looks rather fat... and if it's WC then there's the possibility that it could be..

well you know what i'm getting at :D

--dan--