Tarantula found in banana shipment!

papixx

Arachnopeon
Hey there, this is my first post. I thought I'd share this with you guys. My buddy works at a grocery store and found this little guy in a banana shipment from Colombia.

I believe it's a Hapalopus triseriatus. He has it kept in a small terrarium with a rocky bed. Anything he should know to keep this baby alive?

What do you guys think?

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is a nice find!

Not sure how big that coin is...but the spider is probably not a sling, based on the color and pattern.

I would contact Martin (tarcan) and talk to him about this species...some new blood for this line would be appreciated (whether it turns out to be a male or female).

Chris

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow, nice looking t! I'm not familiar w/ that species but since that's a penny it's sitting next to it must e either a very small dwarf or a sling.

Hamfoto is right, the best thing to do for the big picture would be to get it into the hands of a breeder who has some experience with that species and hopefully some other breeding stock.

I love those abdomenal markings!

papixx

Arachnopeon
Hey, thanks for th input. The penny shown is the same size as a US penny, so this guy isn't big. What's a sling?

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so..

what species is that anyways????

dan

papixx

Arachnopeon
Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well in the meantime papixx that lil guy is probably hungry and dehydrated. I don't know specifically about this spider's requirements but i'd expect it's best kept in a 4" wide deli cup or similar container with some sort of soft fertilizer and pesticide free natural substrate. Peat is highly recommended as is coco coir (bed-a-beast/eco-earth, etc.) Horticultural vermiculite can also do in a pinch. The soil should be slightly moist. Spray some water on the side so it pools at the soil level for it to drink.

It can eat small crickets like you'd get at any petstore. Please don't catch anything from outside for it to eat because you risk exposing it to pesticides and parasites that way. Sorry if you already know this stuff, I'm just assuming you don't keep T's. Congrats on a great find!

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, now I know why my wife keps telling me to eat fruits!!!!!!!!!!! I might just have to give it a try!

Really nice find, this is beyond being lucky!

Keep us posted on the condition. The animal looks a bit slim, but otherwise should be allright.

Thank you for sharing

Martin

papixx

Arachnopeon
Well in the meantime papixx that lil guy is probably hungry and dehydrated. I don't know specifically about this spider's requirements but i'd expect it's best kept in a 4" wide deli cup or similar container with some sort of soft fertilizer and pesticide free natural substrate. Peat is highly recommended as is coco coir (bed-a-beast/eco-earth, etc.) Horticultural vermiculite can also do in a pinch. The soil should be slightly moist. Spray some water on the side so it pools at the soil level for it to drink.

It can eat small crickets like you'd get at any petstore. Please don't catch anything from outside for it to eat because you risk exposing it to pesticides and parasites that way. Sorry if you already know this stuff, I'm just assuming you don't keep T's. Congrats on a great find!
etown, thanks for tips. I'll get my friend to change its habitat and I hope he has a bit of water there already.
My friend did say he gave him a cricket, but he didn't eat it. The cricket must have come from outside as I don't think he went and bought some. I'll let him know though. We're going to do our best to keep this guy healthy.

Wow, now I know why my wife keps telling me to eat fruits!!!!!!!!!!! I might just have to give it a try!

Really nice find, this is beyond being lucky!

Keep us posted on the condition. The animal looks a bit slim, but otherwise should be allright.

Thank you for sharing

Martin
No problem, Martin. I'll keep you all posted.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is so cool!!!! I wish I could find one too!!!

papixx

Arachnopeon
Hey fellas. A small update here:
"since last Saturday, i put a pin head cricket, after finding him i figures hed be hungry, and after two days he still had not eaten. i then thought, maybe they freaked him out a bit. i then took another cricket about 1/4 - 1/3 his size and riped off the back legs so it wouldn't be hard to catch. it has almost been a week since, and still nothing.

i went to the pet store and bought the smallest "gourmet" worms i could find, should i try and feed him those? or wait out the cricket feast?"

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It may be approaching a molt so it might be best to hold off a little longer between feeding attempts. As long as it has water it should be ok.... it should be able to drink plenty from misting.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
what kind of T was that in the grapes? sorta looks like an avic of some sort
Looked like a Cyriocosmus sp. to me. :?

Best wishes with the spider , papixx. You should defenitly work with Martin, for future breeding. Any other info on these banana's ?

Later, Tom