T. Blondi missing fangs... update.

Ace_Man

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pics.

Finally had a perfect molt. No problems at all and he's lookin' good. He is about 4.25" now. I'll probably move him to the 20 gallon tank the next time he molts. Not saying it's a Blondi or an Apophysis... but here's pix I took about 1 or two days after molt. You can see his back right leg is regenerated now.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Way to go Ace_Man. I've been following this thread and it's nice to see the T doing well. :)

olablane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOOOOW!!! just read this thread. That T and you have been thru quite the ordeal. Im glad she/he is doing good. I have a 5inch apophysis-not saying yours is- and really enjoy her. She also has never offered to burrow even though she has 10 inches of substrate. Keep up the good work and enjoy!!!!

Nightshade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice blondi.
Glad to see s/he's made a full recovery. It looks like it's still juvie size, maybe you can hold onto some hope it's female.

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice and darn this thread will probally go to the abyss of forgotten threads soon =(

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
An interesting read... I'm always appalled when I see pet stores selling that for tarantulas. They cannot burrow in it, it does not maintain moisture (wet floor is different to moist enclosure) and it's rough and could potentially injure the T. Every time I see it I tell the pet store the dangers and advise them to offer an alternative (damn, how expensive is it to buy a sack of peat-moss and bag it up???). Glad to see you got rid of it.

As for the fangs, I once knew a family down the road from my old house who cut the fangs off their tarantulas to stop them biting. I'd not have believed it had I not seen it, B.Smithis clipped with toe-nail scissors.

Yes, they were reported.

And yes, I'm a stickler for these things, happy to report maltreatment and to inform pet-stores of the problems. It makes me look like an arsehole, but at least I'm doing my bit for the poor spiders they're selling.

This is one of those threads that needs to be kept where newbies to the hobby can read it. That way people can really care for their spider, get one that is appropriate for them and treat it in a way that the spider will be happy.

Ace_Man

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just figured I'd post this.

From Botar (The guy I bought it from): "...it was purchased in a group of T. blondi slings... probably 100 or more and this is the only one in which there is any question. I seriously doubt there is any way it could be a T. apophysis as I had not carried T. apophysis for quite some time and any breeder/supplier with T. apophysis would ask twice as much for them... which is why I didn't carry them. There is a wide range of coloration possibilities with T. blondi and any taxonomist will tell you that proper ID from a photo is not possible."

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just figured I'd post this.

From Botar (The guy I bought it from): "...it was purchased in a group of T. blondi slings... probably 100 or more and this is the only one in which there is any question. I seriously doubt there is any way it could be a T. apophysis as I had not carried T. apophysis for quite some time and any breeder/supplier with T. apophysis would ask twice as much for them... which is why I didn't carry them. There is a wide range of coloration possibilities with T. blondi and any taxonomist will tell you that proper ID from a photo is not possible."
Mine came from him too, looks exactly like yours. Here's a "baby" pic:

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T. blondi are pretty variable as slings. It would be pretty hard for a dealer or wholesaler to mix up a T or 2 that are twice as costly. Once seen a kid at a reptile show that thought his normal ball python was a pastel {D

Ace_Man

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is what a Theraposa substrate supposed to look like. I kept mine at 75-85% humidity.
I also agree its not a Blondi but an Apophysis. Most people would rather have an Apophysis though since its more rarer than Blondis.

Please check my last post... thanks.

Boogalingous

Arachnopeon

you guys should actually READ these posts

Pokerplayer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

you guys should actually READ these posts

What do u mean by that??

Boogalingous

Arachnopeon
What i mean is his breeder did not carry that species. Nobody knows everything. Just like people, cats, dogs, or whatever else nothing looks identical. I've seen other T.blondi's that have pink and red in them and they grow out of it. Proper ID from a picture in NOT possible. Read the posts before you start judging the person.

Pokerplayer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What i mean is his breeder did not carry that species. Nobody knows everything. Just like people, cats, dogs, or whatever else nothing looks identical. I've seen other T.blondi's that have pink and red in them and they grow out of it. Proper ID from a picture in NOT possible. Read the posts before you start judging the person.

lol

u are a pretty funny guy.
If u couldent ID T`s from a picture, then this site was worth nothing.
It is done all the time in here.

Ace_Man

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Ace

I hope u will end up with the right conditions one day and that the spider stops having bad molts.
It seems like u are doing the "humidity part" right now, but its still wont molt correct.
I dont really have an idea to what might be wrong in your case.
Some spiders might just be more sensitive within the same species, just like humans are not all the same.
Some are always sick, and some never gets sick.

But what i DO KNOW, is that it is not a blondi u have there, but a Apophysis like mentioned before.

Here is a VERY good tread to read and with lots of pictures.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=37152&highlight=blondi+sling

Look for the pink feet.
That is the easy way to tell a blondi from a Apophysis when the are juv.

The good thing, even though u really wanted a blondi, is that these 2 spider looks pretty much the same when the are adult.
And thats why so many are beeing wrong when the are breedting this species

Good luck
Notice the bottom of this post you put on here before. You are saying that it's hard to tell the difference between the two when they are an adult. But it's EASY to tell juveniles apart. You are saying that a breeder and a seller who've been in the business about as long as you've been alive CANNOT tell them apart, but YOU CAN? Okay.

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just throwing this out here but.... sp burgundy perhaps?

You know... the ones that so far differ from blondies only in having pink feet as young 'uns and slightly darker and sometimes redder coloration as adults?

The ones that aren't even necessarily a different sp from blondi? (or at least no one can get an answer on it either way more definitive then a future publishing date)

Just a thought.

*hunkers down and waits for the ensuing crap storm*

Last edited: