T.Blondi Care

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi just want to make sure i have everything in my head before i buy a t.blondi....

can anyone make a few suggestions that will make keeping one easier and also some caresheet information..

some questions :D

should i use a bulb or a heat mat on the side of the tank to heat the tank...for some reason i keep thinking that heat mats dont raise the temperature very much..

if i use a bulb i was thinking about using a dimmer so i can regulate the heat and lower it slightly in the night time etc.

i have read a few caresheets that mention to keep the temp between 80 and 85 and humidity around the same figures? can anyone confirm

and anything else you can think of.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The problem with using bulbs for heating is that they dry out the humidity in the enclosure VERY badly and VERY quickly. Not so awesome, especially with species extra sensitive to humidity, like blondi.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been keeping mine in the mid to upper 70's with no problems. If you want to increase the heat, I would go with the heating pad. Like Mushroom said, bulbs just evaporate the moisture too quickly.

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can find a small wealth of information by trying the "Search" function. You can use multiple words. It doesn't have to be just one. If you don't find the information there then post your questions here. I'm not trying to come across as not caring but this subject gets covered over and over.

Below is a shortcut to the search function:

Click me to search

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeh i may change to a long heating pad... i REALLY want a blondi but i have just been reading about the salmon pink and found people saying it is much easier to take care of and also grows to around the same size and is a very active spider aswel as feeder

also they dont burrow or web much....what are blondi's like for burrowing and staying out of sight?

which would you guys prefer :)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I dont think I have ever had a juvi or adult Blondi that burrowed........ They are opportunistic when it comes to hides and if you provide a good safe hide they will come out all the time and not burrow.

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
at what age or size would it be possible to sex a blondi...i really want a female but dont really want to buy a fully grown one and all the pet shops i have asked say you can only tell when its an adult

what size would be the earliest possible to tell using a moult?

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i wish pet shop owners knew what they where doing...then i wouldnt get the usual "you cant tell until they are adults" response

anybody know of any good websites or breeders near the north west that would have small guaranteed female blondis?

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi a L - PARAHYBANA would be a good alternative to a T - BLONDI as they do get big i had my ones heating at 75 / 78 .f with a heat mat on the back of the tank as i am in the U -K both ( t ) are very good to keep just keep your eyes on them when working in the tanks good luck with any one you do get in the end === phil

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks phil....yeh it sounds like a good alternative but when i think about it i keep going back to the blondi...this is such a hard decision haha

thunderthief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get both!!! ;) Im hoping to get a L. parahybana this weekend!!!

I think if you're wanting a guaranteed female its not going to be cheap. Theres a shop in Pemberton Nr Wigan that has a T. blondi @ about 6" dont know if its female but might be worth a look. I was quoted £70 for it.

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hehe i wish i could get both

any idea what the pet shop was called?

thunderthief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
any idea what the pet shop was called?
I dont, I've just tried a search on yell.com but nothing. My younger brother lives local i'll see if he can get me a phone number.

Mike

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks that would be great...that sounds around the size i want to buy :)

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if i was using a heatmat would it make a difference if i have one of those aquarium backgrounds on the actual glass and then the mat against that or would it lower its effecitiveness having this between the mat and glass?

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I want a T blondi too! {D
They're great! Very stalky and big! They eat like machines and grow quite fast, but their hairs, ouch! Painful and itchy! Invest in rubber gloves and tweezers when doing maintenence (i.e. removing cricket/roach remains) They're great though, don't be put off by precautions!

I keep mine hot and humid with plenty of ventilation so the air in the enclosure doesn't get stagnant and moldy! I suggest you do the same.