swiming t's?

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
swimming Ts

ok i know that some tarantulas can swim like avic avic but what other Ts can swim?:? :?

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
ask conipto

conipto had some syncronized swimming T's once ask him...

:D

mr. fur

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would think all T's have the capabilties to swim.I'm sure somewhere in their lifetime they're forced to swim due to torrential rains,floods,escape from predators and some are subject to monsoon seasons and it's just plain survival to know how to swim.Question is..are there actually any T's that like the water and actually swim or hunt in water for prey without being forced to do so....peace..

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hysterocrates are known for this behavior. No big surprise really considering their humidity requirements.

Atrax

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I swear I saw pictures on this forum a long while back about someone setting up a combo dry/wet fish tank for an H. to hunt in....Hazy details though....

FelixA9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's amazing the way the air clings to the turantula that way. Makes it look like a chromium spider :)

arcane

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Martin, I'm curious: is that part of a larger set up, or just a fish-tank you occasionally throw T's into ;) ? Is there a "land" portion, is this part of their set-up or just an experiment?

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
He posted those pictures before and said it was a tank he had filled up for some other thing. I can't remember for sure, but it's definently not the spider's home.

caligulathegod

Arachnodeity
Old Timer

Sometimes it's hard getting these pics under the 102K limit. Especially the animated ones.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
can lasiadora parahybana swim and is the h gigas underwater how did it dive down like that wow also is that salt water or fresh water

Pokie1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
G. rosea swim too!

Well, climb into a bath anyway. I am keeping my new G. Rosea in a setup that has a standard water dish and about 60% humidity. Several times, I have seen unexplained wet spots on the dry substrate. I thought maybe a cricket bounced into the dish and spilled it. Anyway, I was told to keep rocks in the bowl etc. and read in the T keepers guide that their booklungs need to be kept out of the water. So imagine my suprise when I came in to the room and saw this.

So, I was scared that the T was drowning. When I went to open the cage, she strolled out of the dish like nothin. Then I left the room, came back and in the dish she was. It seems she spends a lot of time at the pool. I am thinking of putting in a much larger bowl with a fish and see what happens.

Pokie1

Attachments

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Citharischius crawshayi "King Baboon" can swim

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a large water dish (maybe a gallon) in my H.gigas' tank. It's perfect to see if she'll go swimming and/or fishing. Big enough for her to submerge herself, but not so deep she can't get out. I'm waiting to see if she uses it before I go any further.
I'm attaching a pic. As you can see it's no where near as involved as the "fish tank gigas tank", but it should serve it's purpose.

cdxrd

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One of my supervisors here used to keep his T in a tank with a large enough 'pool' to keep small goldfish and he said his T would go over and hunt. I know I have caught my Rosea sitting in her water bowl a couple times (humidity too low perhaps?) so I was thinking about setting up a similiar setup to see what she would do with the goldfish.. :)

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It seems odd for a G. rosea to drink so much since they are native to such an arid locale. They are the weirdos of the T world, though.

Karen N.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
now that we KNow that H.gigas can swim has anyone ever tried to feed ond a feeder fish

Pokie1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I dunno how many have tried with the H. gigas but I am gunna try with the rosie. I thought it was really odd with her being a "desert" species n all. I made her habitat fairly dry and warm, but moisten it up once in a while be watering the plant. What was funny to me was that it looked like she submerged her entire dorsal side into the water. Now this, according to the books, will kill the Ts. But I can assure you it has not. So it seems that we might have uncovered a myth perpetuated by the experts. I plan on doing more experiments. I have an ever increasing population of guppys and I think a couple of them have a date with Sunset, my G. rosea. I will keep y'all posted on progress of the tank once I get some cash.

Pokie1