Suggestions for next arboreal..

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Hey all!

I am looking to get a new arboreal T. I am not usually an aboreal kind of guy as I am mad for the terrestrials. I have only have P. regalis and P. metallica. I have formerly owned P. ornata and Avic avic(yeaaaaars ago).

However, after rearing the ornata to a larger juvie I have recently sold it on.

Now I have an arboreal enclosure sitting empty. I was thinking I would quite like to have another T put it to good use.

The enclosure is a bit on the small side side so looking for an arboreal that is preferably under 5" and has some bold colouring. :)

I have done a bit of digging and have looked at Psalmos and Avics, but I was hoping some arboreal lovers on the boards could help me with suggestions based on size.

Any help and info would be much appreciated. :D

Thanks

louise f

Arachnoangel
Yeah you should def go for Psalmo, you will never regret that. Psalmo Psalmo Psalmo :D
They are really great hunters. And they are soo beautiful in their coloration. :)

See you gotta have those in the collection :)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
My favorite arboreals are psalmopoeus cambridgei and Avicularia versicolor. Both beautiful NW species in my opinion. Post a pic of the enclosure to make sure but people seem to keep versicolor in some pretty small enclosures. They are sensitive to proper enclosure and husbandry until about 1.5-2" though

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You want a small arbor. NW T? The best is A. minatrix, AFs max out at 3" DSL And they are the only known Avic to keep the sling tiger striping on their abdomen!

Striking contrast>> P irminia females that is, but at that size, I'd go w/ A. versicolor.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I admit they are beutiful species!

I like the look of minatrix, juruensis, huriana, diversipes or versi as avic but I am not sure what they max growth at. Though I am looking to get juvenile/subadult preferably so I think versi may be out of the question as all I can see for sale is slings.

When looking at Psalmos it could be any one to be honest but I was thinking about size as I understand the most common species irminia/cambridgei grow large. Is that true? I literally have no more room left for a larger enclosure :(, hence why looking for one on the smaller side 3.5"-5"

The enclosure is 20x20x30cm

I was looking at Psalmopeous langenbucheri as they max out around 4"... Well so I have read?

Does anyone on here keep any of those Avics or the langenbucheri?

Thanks for the input @louise f and @magicmed. :)

magicmed

Arachnobaron

I like the look of minatrix, juruensis, huriana, diversipes or versi as avic but I am not sure what they max growth at. Though I am looking to get juvenile/subadult preferably so I think versi may be out of the question as all I can see for sale is slings.

When looking at Psalmos it could be any one to be honest but I was thinking about size as I understand the most common species irminia/cambridgei grow large. Is that true? I literally have no more room left for a larger enclosure :(, hence why looking for one on the smaller side 3.5"-5"

I was looking at Psalmopeous langenbucheri as they max out around 4"... Well so I have read?

Versicolor max out at around 5" (I do believe, someone may correct me) I know @MobBurrow has some versicolor at a really good price for their size. Check out his add, mine got here at about 1.5-1.75" dls and have been great (one is my roomates, one mine)

Psalmnopoeus cambridgei do get bigger than 5" I think, at least the adults I've seen pics of look massive with those long front legs. I'm going to be getting my first cambridgei soon.

I don't know dwarfs at all other than the minatrix and my hapolopus sp columbia but I'm sure there's some nice looking dwarf arbs.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You want a small arbor. NW T? The best is A. minatrix, AFs max out at 3" DSL And they are the only known Avic to keep the sling tiger striping on their abdomen!
Thats what put them in the spotlight for me. I wasn't sure what size minatrix got to. Thanks for the info! That was one of the nicest looking ones IMO. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

The enclosure is 20x20x30cm

I do on Avics.

Jurensis grow pretty large.
Huriana- my male isn't even mature yet, and he's already over 4" DLS, his 0.0.1 sacmate is larger than 3"
Diversipes- smaller, BUT they significantly lose their brilliant sling colors. They are not nearly as pretty as adults. Also, their disposition is more like Iridopelma genus
Minatrix is your BEST shot. My AF female is only 3" DLS . Minatrix is the smallest Avic.

P cam- get larger, larger than 4".
Irminia are smaller, but more skittish. They wouldn't fit your size limit.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Versicolor max out at around 5" (I do believe, someone may correct me) I know @MobBurrow has some versicolor at a really good price for their size. Check out his add, mine got here at about 1.5-1.75" dls and have been great (one is my roomates, one mine)
I'm over in UK, unfortunately postage might be an issue :p

Thanks though :)

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I do on Avics.

Jurensis grow pretty large.
Huriana- my male isn't even mature yet, and he's already over 4" DLS, his 0.0.1 sacmate is larger than 3"
Diversipes- smaller, BUT they significantly lose their brilliant sling colors. They are not nearly as pretty as adults. Also, their disposition is more like Iridopelma genus
Minatrix is your BEST shot. My AF female is only 3" DLS . Minatrix is the smallest Avic.

P cam- get larger, larger than 4".
Irminia are smaller, but more skittish. They wouldn't fit your size limit.
I was thinking the Psalmos may be over my size limit but I will probably be looking more towards minatrix then. I was looking at Iridopelma genus too but I just wasn't sure what sizes they get to either. I forgot to mention them. I know a dealer here that has a couple of juveniles but I don't know too much about them tbh.

I love the look of P. cam but know it was a large T. So when read up on the P. langenbucheri somewhere online it said it that they max at 4-5". It looks quite similar and it has me wanting to know more. I don't know if I would even be able to find it over here though.

Thanks for the info. It is always appreciated

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was thinking the Psalmos may be over my size limit but I will probably be looking more towards minatrix then. I was looking at Iridopelma genus too but I just wasn't sure what sizes they get to either. I forgot to mention them. I know a dealer here that has a couple of juveniles but I don't know too much about them tbh.

I love the look of P. cam but know it was a large T. So when read up on the P. langenbucheri somewhere online it said it that they max at 4-5". It looks quite similar and it has me wanting to know more. I don't know if I would even be able to find it over here though.

Thanks for the info. It is always appreciated
I've owned Iridoplema before too. I wasn't too impressed. Kept the same as Avics, if you want an arboreal that is more strung out than Avics and a bit less than Psalmo's (sorta), get one. The advantage w/ Psalmo's > no urticating setae.

I wouldn't trade my A. minatrix for the world.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If I can't find that Psalmo then I will be leaning to A. minatrix :D

These 2 are awesome. The chevrons on the minatrix are redic stunning though :eek:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking

See you gotta have those in the collection :)
I wanted irminia for my 4th T a very long time ago. The only reason I didnt get one is because I couldnt shell out the coin on a big viv for large arboreal.

Now I have saved the money but the problem is now that there are too many big cheap plastic boxes full of terrestrials in my apartment I cant fit a large arboreal in here. I wish I was born in the states, where the land is spacious and the space comes cheap :rofl: