Spider Chores

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I am trying to remember.... Is this the one where YouTube videos show the T attacking water as the person refills the water bowl?
My genic almost always attacks the water when I refill her dish. She'll also attack tongs so I always make sure she's not too close by when I'm doing maintenance so she doesn't break a fang.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I question why I ever wanted to buy a stirmi.... >.< For the love of god(s) those hairs..... and it is the ONLY one that uses it's water dish as a toilet... Every day I'm either tossing/washing a water dish...depends on my mood...the majority of the time I say F**k it and toss it. Other than that... my B. vagans are dicks.... they CONSTANTLY bury their water dish and even move it and bury it...so its a continuous game of hunt and find, clean, and refill while wetting down their substrate more lol. (2 juveniles, 1 male other unsexed). My vagans have corrupted my innocent G. pulchripes into flipping its water dish and wearing it as armour lol (To be fair, it was adorable to walk in and check on everyone and just see a water jug cap upside down on top of him lol). Waterings/feeding/cleanings take roughy 2 hours or more to do.. 29 tarantulas, 6 scorpions, leopard gecko, and a cohab fire belly toad/fish set up

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I question why I ever wanted to buy a stirmi.... >.< For the love of god(s) those hairs..... and it is the ONLY one that uses it's water dish as a toilet... Every day I'm either tossing/washing a water dish...depends on my mood...the majority of the time I say F**k it and toss it. Other than that... my B. vagans are dicks.... they CONSTANTLY bury their water dish and even move it and bury it...so its a continuous game of hunt and find, clean, and refill while wetting down their substrate more lol. (2 juveniles, 1 male other unsexed). My vagans have corrupted my innocent G. pulchripes into flipping its water dish and wearing it as armour lol (To be fair, it was adorable to walk in and check on everyone and just see a water jug cap upside down on top of him lol). Waterings/feeding/cleanings take roughy 2 hours or more to do.. 29 tarantulas, 6 scorpions, leopard gecko, and a cohab fire belly toad/fish set up
"Adorable Grammostola pulcripes who wears water dish?":wideyed: Not gonna let mine learn anything from yours lol!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
My vagans have corrupted my innocent G. pulchripes into flipping its water dish and wearing it as armour lol (To be fair, it was adorable to walk in and check on everyone and just see a water jug cap upside down on top of him lol).
I wouldn't even be mad if Regina started doing that. A tarantula wearing a bottle cap as a hat sounds like the most adorable thing literally ever.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
For me, the worst chore is trying to rid my T's and inverts of mites. I have quite a few species that I'd rather not rehouse, just for mites. I would easily do any T's rehouse if my T's could live mite free forever ;) They're so hard to get rid of too! Thinking I will try some springtails and see if they can outcompete the mites. Just hate to rehouse and bother them, especially when many are already "settled". Worst comes to worst, I can probably order some H. miles and have them go to town on the mites :D

Deb60

Arachnosquire
oh yes, how could i forget.. drives me crazy, especially when the spider sin premolt and im nervous to leave anything in for any length of time.
Yes , there's always the worry that your T is going to escape as your trying to remove uneaten prey . It's my Brachypelma Emilia that I've had since December that I've had to do this with , when I got him he was quite fat , and I was told he ate every week , his not eaten since , I feed him once a week , and remove prey within 24hrs , was given him crickets , which I was told he only ate , but as he wouldn't even eat those , it's locust , which my others had , or he goes with out . Just fed my Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescen GBB , which I only got last weekend , if I have to remove it , I'm just hoping he doesn't do a runner .Lol

Deb60

Arachnosquire
oh yes, how could i forget.. drives me crazy, especially when the spider sin premolt and im nervous to leave anything in for any length of time.
Yes , there's always the worry that your T is going to escape as your trying to remove uneaten prey . It's my Brachypelma Emilia that I've had since December that I've had to do this with , when I got him he was quite fat , and I was told he ate every week , his not eaten since , I feed him once a week , and remove prey within 24hrs , was given him crickets , which I was told he only ate , but as he wouldn't even eat those , it's locust , which my others had , or he goes with out . Just fed my Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescen GBB , which I only got last weekend At but
If she's an 8.5 inch spider with golden knees she can do anything and I'd forgive her. Speaking of getting more spiders, I can't decide between A. geniculata and C. cyaneopubescens. I want to get a sling that grows fast and they're both awesome species. I can only get one of them th

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The only really "annoying" part is cleaning the cricket enclosure every day so it doesn't stink.
Agreed. Although the fact that my A.metallica webs the opening of her enclosure entirely shut and lines it with u-hairs is difficult sometimes. Every time I open that enclosure, a cloud of u-hairs float up to to latch on to me...making me covering every exposed skin in duct tape over and over again during the rest of the evening.