Spider Chores

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
- removing uneaten live prey. It seems like the feeders will always run into the burrow/under the plant/bury themselves, whatever is least convenient for me to remove. I don't like annoying my Ts and I especially don't love moving all their stuff around.
oh yes, how could i forget.. drives me crazy, especially when the spider sin premolt and im nervous to leave anything in for any length of time.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
removing uneaten live prey. It seems like the feeders will always run into the burrow/under the plant/bury themselves, whatever is least convenient for me to remove. I don't like annoying my Ts and I especially don't love moving all their stuff around.
Easily avoided by having the bare minimum - water dish and hide :D All of my enclosures look like a scene from Fallout New Vegas. Barron.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Easily avoided by having the bare minimum - water dish and hide :D All of my enclosures look like a scene from Fallout New Vegas. Barron.
Mine look like my Fallout 4 settlements - aesthetically pleasing and as "homey" feeling as possible for what they are :D

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Mine look like my Fallout 4 settlements - aesthetically pleasing and as "homey" feeling as possible for what they are :D
I'm definitely a functionalist. My settlers were lucky to get a roof over their heads. Farm and man the mortars, peasants!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Y'all whining about cleaning water dishes. It takes like 3 seconds :/
That's the only husbandry Regina requires. She hasn't defecated a single time in my care, and she has never even left a bolus. She eats the whole entire mealworm and leaves nothing behind.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I've gotta second the water dish cleaning. This drives me nuts.
Also - setting up attractive enclosures for them which they promptly remodel (destroy).
Another thing I hate, which isn't quite a chore, per se - removing uneaten live prey. It seems like the feeders will always run into the burrow/under the plant/bury themselves, whatever is least convenient for me to remove. I don't like annoying my Ts and I especially don't love moving all their stuff around.
My N. incei female molted recently and finally came out to play last night. There were four plastic plant stalks with leaves that have been attached with hot melt to the enclosure in every corner above the substrate. Today I looked and all four of them are now laying in various places on the substrate.:banghead:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That's the only husbandry Regina requires. She hasn't defecated a single time in my care, and she has never even left a bolus. She eats the whole entire mealworm and leaves nothing behind.
Give it a few years after you've gotten dozens of spiders. It's certainly the most time consuming aspect of the hobby.

And don't worry, Regina will become a jerk eventually. Give her time ;)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Give it a few years after you've gotten dozens of spiders. It's certainly the most time consuming aspect of the hobby.

And don't worry, Regina will become a jerk eventually. Give her time ;)
If she's an 8.5 inch spider with golden knees she can do anything and I'd forgive her. Speaking of getting more spiders, I can't decide between A. geniculata and C. cyaneopubescens. I want to get a sling that grows fast and they're both awesome species. I can only get one of them tho

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If she's an 8.5 inch spider with golden knees she can do anything and I'd forgive her. Speaking of getting more spiders, I can't decide between A. geniculata and C. cyaneopubescens. I want to get a sling that grows fast and they're both awesome species. I can only get one of them tho
A. geniculata. Much more of an attitude than the GBB. They're very bitey though, so be prepared for that.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
A. geniculata. Much more of an attitude than the GBB. They're very bitey though, so be prepared for that.
I'm prepared for the bitey aspect. I'm told that they're hardly defensive so much as that they think everything is food and they usually just walk away when they realize it's not. This is a spider that I'll be using my long soft-tipped tongs for.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
None of the tarantula chores really bother me that much except, perhaps, a water dish with a smelly bolus in it.

Scraping the Avic poop off the sides of the enclosure can be a little annoying if they are brats and go in a place that is less accessible. (Usually they are kind enough to go where I can easily clean.)

The worst thing about cage maintenance is not the work but the aftermath if I get sloppy and expose my hands to urticating hairs. Fortunately, that's mostly preventable, but I need to be more careful about it as my geniculata grows up.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Oh just wait til you have more.

And I say A. geniculata. I'm also biased because my GBB isn't a nice guy...but I seriously adore my little genic. She's spunky and smart and eats like nothing I've ever seen. Just don't put your fingers near them and you'll be okay!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I'm prepared for the bitey aspect. I'm told that they're hardly defensive so much as that they think everything is food and they usually just walk away when they realize it's not. This is a spider that I'll be using my long soft-tipped tongs for.
I am trying to remember.... Is this the one where YouTube videos show the T attacking water as the person refills the water bowl?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Oh just wait til you have more.

And I say A. geniculata. I'm also biased because my GBB isn't a nice guy...but I seriously adore my little genic. She's spunky and smart and eats like nothing I've ever seen. Just don't put your fingers near them and you'll be okay!
I'd rather have an aggressive T than a fast one. I'll probably get a P. muticus before a P. irminia.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I'd rather have an aggressive T than a fast one. I'll probably get a P. muticus before a P. irminia.
Speed is overrated. I have both Tapinauchenius and Psalmopoeus. You just have to explain to the T that a new home is what is best for them on a rehousing.:troll:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Speed is overrated. I have both Tapinauchenius and Psalmopoeus. You just have to explain to the T that a new home is what is best for them on a rehousing.:troll:
I tried that with my P.muticus. But she was slapping the floor, adamant that she wanted to stay here here here instead of over there there there (pointing her fangs to new enclosure).
Kids...

Walker253

Arachnobaron
3 seconds for one, lol. Having about 80, feeding and watering is about a 2 1/2 hours every week. That doesn't really bother me though, Feeding slings sucks and I only have 12 or 13.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm definitely a functionalist. My settlers were lucky to get a roof over their heads. Farm and man the mortars, peasants!
I love the Engineers mentality: there isn't place for annoying stuff. "Work/Don't Work" and nothing else. We need Engineers, and not politicians, for create Societies :-s