Species specific info on Amblypygi

spodermin

Arachnosquire
I'm trying to get into keeping and breeding Amblypygi, but can't seem to find much species-specific information. I basically want to know things like

-which ones grow the fastest?
-which ones grow the largest?
-which are most resilient?
-which are the most common as pets?
etc.

Yesterday I just bought my first one (damon diadem) which I took out of the deli cup and put into a temporary enclosure till I could rehouse it tomorrow, and I came out this morning to find it tried to molt on the ground and died.

The list in the image is what I currently have available to me.

Attachments

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
Dr Linda Rayor of cornell university has done a lot of communal research on these, and Orin Mcmonigle has a great book about these. Damon is a great starter species, I have a juvinile. They are great eaters. They molt upside down, and need humidity. Keep all amblys with springtail and possibly isopods. The largest Ive seen are E. amanica, or heterophrynus batesii. Damon and (possibly) Paraphrynus (im not entirely sure about this one) are the most common as far as I know. The ones most common are usually also the most resilient. Best of luck with your new pet!!

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
So you've discovered rule # 1, which is that amblypygi need a vertical surface for molting or they will die. Please don't purchase another until you've learnt a bit more and have an appropriate enclosure ready. I'm afraid I can't help with your other questions.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
The ones most common are usually also the most resilient.
This is such an incorrect statement that I don't know where to begin. The pet trade is first and foremost a business, so it helps to be realistic here.
The most common ones are the ones that are:
a) easiest to import at a given point in time (WC Damon medius, Phrynus marginemaculatus)
b) prolific and reproduce well under captive conditions (Damon diadema, Phrynus barbadensis)
c) able to reproduce parthenogenetically (Charinus acosta)

However, the most resilient species are Acanthophrynus coronatus, Paraphrynus cubensis, Phrynus whitei, and Phrynus barbadensis.
As you can see Damon is not on this list. Most Paraphrynus have a seasonal activity pattern, so they are not the easiest as well. Heterophrynus are fragile. And so on.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I'm trying to get into keeping and breeding Amblypygi, but can't seem to find much species-specific information. I basically want to know things like

-which ones grow the fastest?
-which ones grow the largest?
-which are most resilient?
-which are the most common as pets?
etc.

Yesterday I just bought my first one (damon diadem) which I took out of the deli cup and put into a temporary enclosure till I could rehouse it tomorrow, and I came out this morning to find it tried to molt on the ground and died.

The list in the image is what I currently have available to me.
I'm in Canada with the same availability list, and have the same basic questions really.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Dr Linda Rayor of cornell university has done a lot of communal research on these, and Orin Mcmonigle has a great book about these. Damon is a great starter species, I have a juvinile. They are great eaters. They molt upside down, and need humidity. Keep all amblys with springtail and possibly isopods. The largest Ive seen are E. amanica, or heterophrynus batesii. Damon and (possibly) Paraphrynus (im not entirely sure about this one) are the most common as far as I know. The ones most common are usually also the most resilient. Best of luck with your new pet!!
Wouldn't isopods climb the wood and munch on a molting individual?

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
However, the most resilient species are Acanthophrynus coronatus, Paraphrynus cubensis, Phrynus whitei, and Phrynus barbadensis.
As you can see Damon is not on this list. Most Paraphrynus have a seasonal activity pattern, so they are not the easiest as well. Heterophrynus are fragile. And so on.

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
sorry i dont know how to actually do the quotes lol. I misspoke, and you're totally right. Stupid response on my part, and I apologize for any problems this caused.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
I hope what I said didn't come off as an attack (if so - my apologies). There was nothing stupid in what you said, sometimes there is another aspect to the bigger picture.
We (I mean Canadians) are fortunate to have such an impressive availability of different Amblypygi species to choose from, something out neighbours can only dream of...

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I hope what I said didn't come off as an attack (if so - my apologies). There was nothing stupid in what you said, sometimes there is another aspect to the bigger picture.
We (I mean Canadians) are fortunate to have such an impressive availability of different Amblypygi species to choose from, something out neighbours can only dream of...
But for how much longer? We're on to you Canadians, and it's only a matter of time now...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
Yes, that is a potential danger of keeping them together. I personally wouldn't risk putting isopods in an amblypygi enclosure.
I've heard both sides. I've heard from a lot of people dwarf white isopods will remain under the soil, and wont bother your a
all good man, I’m just one of those people who apologize for everything lol. And I truly envy you guys and your (I think) relaxed/ more plentiful availability in terms of inverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
For isopods with amblypygi, I kept Trichorhina tomentosa with Phrynus marginemaculatus without any issues.

Thanks,

Arthroverts