Sparassidae Photos - Huntsman of All Species

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
no one posting Heteropoda maxima pictures ? :?

i've heard they have entered the German hobby-market recently or am i too early to ask :D ?

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi Steven,
I´m still waiting for s.o. to confirm the ID but it really seems to be H. maxima.
To be honest: I think the ppl who got them won´t manage to breed them. If they manage to get eggsacs (which wouldn´t be captive breeding in my eyes - just luck to get a sac from a WC), they´ll probably not manage to raise enough specimen in order to breed F2, but rather sell F1 in order to make big money...

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
no one posting Heteropoda maxima pictures ? :?

i've heard they have entered the German hobby-market recently or am i too early to ask :D ?

Hi Steven,

so, why don´t YOU post some....?

I have some pictures here and might get permission to post - anyway, i won´t even inquire for permission, as i don´t want to see these posted.
It was for GOOD REASON that this wasn´t mentioned.

I´m out of this topic.
(If you are interested in "good advise" and if you have SERIOUS INTEREST in Sparassidae in general: DROP THIS!
If you "need to know" you might get informed replies, however of course NOT through public boards and this is NOT an offer to have a private chat)

@ Bastian

I fully second your opinion on that one, as do "some others" (guess you know who those are anyway...)

Greetings,

Stefan

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
hi Steven,
I´m still waiting for s.o. to confirm the ID but it really seems to be H. maxima.
To be honest: I think the ppl who got them won´t manage to breed them. If they manage to get eggsacs (which wouldn´t be captive breeding in my eyes - just luck to get a sac from a WC), they´ll probably not manage to raise enough specimen in order to breed F2, but rather sell F1 in order to make big money...
hey Bastian,
i was under the same impression when someone passed me trough some prices he had been send.

i don't have them, and don't have plans in getting some,
i was just interested in seeing other/new picture-material of them, rather then the pictures and video's i allready have seen.

Irks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
mature male Holconia insignis. I'll post the female when she matures (1 more molt). 18cm, 7+ inches from tip to tip.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

the colour of envy is....

P-U-R-P-L-E :D

Heteropoda lunula (Malaysia), cb juvenile female

Regards,

Stefan

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is an edited version of Stefan's image; reduced exposure and cropped (posted with Stefan's permission).
Hopefully the coloration is accurate.
Let me know, Stefan.

That is a great looking species!

Last edited:

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all,

just to make this "official": Jeff had asked for permission in advance and was granted to edit and post. ;)

Hopefully the coloration is accurate.
Let me know, Stefan.
Hi Jeff,

slowly getting there, a bit too bright in my very own one, but now a tad too dark in yours. Maybe something in between, like 50% darker than my original, but 50% brighter than the version you´ve posted.

That is a great looking species!
It definitely is!

I really hope breeding of these will be possible and successfull one day.

Regards,

Stefan

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
One more try.

Hi Jeff,

and a better result!

The problem to get a 100% match i guess is about the different colour shades this species portrays: if you get one done with editing the pic you´re next to automatically editing the others, too.

This spiders definitely have some cryptic colour and markings...

Regards,

Stefan

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Man those are really nice looking colorful spiders! Here are a couple of not so colorful ones I came across while walking around, Olios gigantea. I found 3 females clumped together, gave one away. The other two clumped together in the gallon jar. Guess they like neighbors. Going to let the babies go when they hatch.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And the finished product (too bad it's a dud... if anyone has a MM and wants to do a 50/50 trade, I'd be open)