Sparassidae Photos - Huntsman of All Species

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Amazing photos blaster - you may be referring to the family, Sparassidae. I could be wrong, but I have never heard of a Genus Sparrasus; only Sparianthina (Banks, 1929), Sparianthis (Simon, 1880) and Spariolenus (Simon, 1880).

As this species is only beginning to be studied it could be a 'not yet named' Genus. Any ideas on where is was collected? That would help out a lot on pinning a possible ID.

Dr. Peter Jager is currently the Sparassid expert to my knowledge; although there are more studies on this family popping up - for obvious reasons; although there are just so many species both known and unknown that it will take some time. Location where it was collected, as I mentioned is pretty imperative at pinning down a possible ID, also so that you can keep them alive and well as it is important to mimic their natural habitat as closely as possible - especially humidity.

Here are a few links - google Peter Jager as well.
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0161-8202(1999)27:1<19:SANGOH>2.0.CO;2-U
http://www.americanarachnology.org/JoA_tocs/JOA_contents_v27n1.html

Yeah, very true!

Sparrasus species from me - any help on closer ID?

Veith

Arachnopeon
hi,

platnick says
Gen. Eusparassus Simon, 1903

N.B.: some workers follow Bonnet in using the generic name Sparassus Walckenaer, 1805, but that name is now considered a junior synonym of Micrommata Latreille, 1804.
br karsten

Blaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry, there was a mistake. This is not Sparrasus, but Sparassus. As far as I'm concerned, they were probably collected with Lycosa sp. (tarentula probably) - the seller wasn't really talkative. So I suppose they may be from eastern Europe, and that says they would be Sparassus walckenaeri, but they're not that big (only about 8cm legspan, every one of the three females I have). Well, links:

http://perso.orange.fr/denepoux/desert/photo/p4-06.html
http://giantspiders.com/article3.html

What'd You say? :)

Best regards, Matthew.

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good call Veith - I was just looking under S in the index.

I found this photo:
http://geos-nature.org/arachnide003_dia.jpg

and the Arachnologist in the middle east presented with the White Sparassidae I have gave me an ID of Eusparassus sp. just by a photo - he went on a trip to Turkey and just returned. He should have the live specimens on Monday for a confirmation and a species to go with the genus. It resembles the Eusparassus sp. pictured on the below page, only that one looks just a bit darker - could be the lighting. I'll include one of mine to compare it to also.
homepage.mac.com/jmdelacre/PhotoAlbum53.html

As for your photo - it is of superb quality. I know Dr. Jager is very busy, but it wouldn't hurt send an email inquiry to see if he is able to give you a likely ID judged by photo. There are not many photos with "solid" ID's - if you have more than one you may even be able to ship him one or preserve and ship it when it dies, then you can cite the ID source.

hi,

platnick says

br karsten

Last edited:

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

no Sparassidae thread is complete without these.... ;)

Heteropoda lunula (Malaysia), cb juvenile, freshly moulted

Greetings,

Stefan

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh wow!!!!
Purple Huntsman!

Thanks for sharing...more pics everyone!!!!

STICKY PLEASE!!!!!

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great, thanks Jason. There goes my savings account again.
Damn vicious circle.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
purple hunstman:drool: wow! very impressive, i'll definitly have to have them! the color is amazing.

Dr. John

Arachnopeon
Sticky Thread Please !

Hello to those in charge of things ,

I would also raise my hand to elevating this thread to a sticky one . There seems to be a lot of interest in Sparassidae species from the side of many forum members / users . Otherwise , we wouldn't be through so many pages so far . A number of posters have given valuable advice to other interested readers and keepers , based on sound knowledge and experience . Some of the posted photos of certain species just can't be found anywhere else .
I would like to ask you to please take this into kind consideration .

Dr. John

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Quarantine

Man, you are going to have to give it a month ---- quarantine ---- I have ethics :embarrassed:
Work harder...hurry!
:?
Lets bring this back ... bringing it back now ... to a photo thread! Than maybe Mr. and Mrs. D. will make it sticky. ;P

Now thats how you suck an abdomen dry! (below)
'The female of the species if more deadly than the male' - Space

A thousand thundering thrills await me,
Facing insurmontable odds gratefully,
The female of the species is more deadly than the male.
Oh she wants to conquer the world completely
But first she'll conquer me discreetly
The female of the species is more deadly than the male
Oh she deals in witchcraft
And one kiss and I'm zapped
Oh How can heaven hold a place for me?
When a girl like you has cast a spell on me ... because the female of the species is more deadly than the male.

Malaysian babies - greased lightening ...

Unknown spp.

Work harder...hurry!
:?

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mom is looking better...

She's fed up on some crickets and seems to be recovering well after a nice big sac.

chuckpowell

Arachnopeon
I'm new to these forums as you can see from my number of posts but am interested in getting some huntsman - beautiful spiders. Here's one of my pictures.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What a plethora pf Sparassidae photos!

This thread sure would make a great STICKY. Don't you agree?

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This things jumping capabilities are unbelievable. It's not so much the distance which is amazing, it's with the precision that they "pounce" with...not a psycho mad leap...very precise landings.

I took your advise and played "catch the huntsman"...unintentionally of course.

:eek:
{D