Something to prevent climbing glass?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Safe distance = the legspan of the spider. 1.5x if you're feeling frisky, or dealing with a fast-growing species. That tank's probably just plain too big, you may as well go to something smaller.

Also, that's pretty hot. 85F is about absolutely the HOTTEST a tarantula should be expected to tolerate. Unless your house is below 65F, ditch that light. It's more a hazard than anything that will actually benefit your bug.
i have something like 15-20 sp of taras, pretty good distribution of genera... and they all lived quite well at 100*f for about a month this summer and spent 3 months at 90*F+. the only things that died where high metabolism species that went into overdrive and starved to death.

for sure there are going to be species that don't do well at all at that high of temps... specifically the montane/cloud forest type creatures... but those are typically rarer and hopefully the ppl dropping the cash on them already know what to do

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
simpler enclosure

I would also go for a simpler look. My enclosures have bedding and a piece of bark to run/stretch out on. The bark is sized to reach from the bottom to just near the top. So far, out of 16 Ts none even try to hang upside down from the lid, and they enjoy being on the bark.. The pokies do occasionally hang out on the enclosure sides, but pokies can deal with that, since they are arboreal/semi-arboreal anyway.