Something is Wrong With My Button Quail! Please Help if You Know About Gamebirds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Something is wrong with my dear Chickapee.
[youtube]GWPpscU46RI[/youtube]
Something is wrong with his/her head. Please diagnose this strange occurence if you have any knowledge of keeping gamebirds as pets. Chickapee lives with two other button quails- Tic and Tac (born together). He/she is twice as old as them. Also, can you please tell me if it is a boy or a girl?

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
guessing female, male button quails have a bib except in colors like pied and all white, but that looks like standard color to me.

Also NO clue what I'm looking at, is she missing feathers on teh back of her head? if so, the others are probably pecking her feathers out. They tend to get a bit territorial sometimes like that, and it's like barbering with rats. They'll pick on the lower of the group.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
guessing female, male button quails have a bib except in colors like pied and all white, but that looks like standard color to me.

Also NO clue what I'm looking at, is she missing feathers on teh back of her head? if so, the others are probably pecking her feathers out. They tend to get a bit territorial sometimes like that, and it's like barbering with rats. They'll pick on the lower of the group.
That's what confuses me. If anything Chickapee is the "queen" of the group. And older too. Anyways, what do you mean a bib?

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oldest doesn't matter...
Younger ones will challenge the weaker members...

take it to a vet if you want it properly diagnosed...

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Oldest doesn't matter...
Younger ones will challenge the weaker members...

take it to a vet if you want it properly diagnosed...
Is Chickapee weak genetically, or could there be something wrong with her?

And my parents "don't want" to take her to the vet.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
um....
we have no way to tell if your thing is weak genetically lol....

but i meant weaker - as not as good in territorial disputes...ect.. but you never know she could still have won...?

anyways you cant really tell whats wrong or what is actually in your video because its a massive blob of blurry feathers..

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
um....
we have no way to tell if your thing is weak genetically lol....

but i meant weaker - as not as good in territorial disputes...ect.. but you never know she could still have won...?

anyways you cant really tell whats wrong or what is actually in your video because its a massive blob of blurry feathers..
She seems just fine. I'll try to make a better video.

slvdv

Arachnopeon
If you have two males they will fight, and they could kill one another. I have seen them get their heads picked so bad their eys swell shut. Best to separate the one.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Into what? And which ones are male!?!
If you have two males they will fight, and they could kill one another. I have seen them get their heads picked so bad their eys swell shut. Best to separate the one.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Into what? And which ones are male!?!
Go to the link I posted earlier. The people on there are very knowledgeable & there is even a forum specifically for quail.

I'd guess the first two are male seeing how they both have a bib & the third one doesn't.

I believe 2 males & 1 female is generally bad with most species of animals.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Go to the link I posted earlier. The people on there are very knowledgeable & there is even a forum specifically for quail.

I'd guess the first two are male seeing how they both have a bib & the third one doesn't.

I believe 2 males & 1 female is generally bad with most species of animals.
Agreed. Including humans. Well, unless there's a th- um...yeah, I'll sign up on those forums...thanks.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
looks like two males and one female there. yeah, the males WILL fight. It's best to seperate them out.

/edit- only males have the bib under their neck. females don't have that pattern.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
looks like two males and one female there. yeah, the males WILL fight. It's best to seperate them out.

/edit- only males have the bib under their neck. females don't have that pattern.
So there's 2 males and one female?

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wounds on the back of the head like that can also be from flying into the cage top. They're stupid and will do it repeatedly if they are scared/fighting/whatever.

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
some nice clear pictures of all 3, and the injured area on the one would probably give us a better idea. as for the injury it looks like it's either being picked on by a cage mate, rubbing its head on something, or possibly was being harassed by another one of its cage mates and in an effort to escape banged/caught/rubbed it's head on something. it could also be self mutilation, a skin condition, or a host of other things. without clear pictures there is no way for us to get an idea of the various possibilities.

if it is being caused by a cage mate your only course of action is to remove the one being picked on, unless you know which one is doing the picking, in which case you could remove the one being the bully.

good clear pictures, not a video, of the affected area will make it a lot easier to see whats going on. at the very least be prepared to separate them. on the other end of the spectrum if it is being picked on by a cage mate you could end up needing to make a trip to an avian vet. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I would place the one being picked on in a separate cage now, before things progress to the point where a trip to an avian vet is necessary.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
some nice clear pictures of all 3, and the injured area on the one would probably give us a better idea. as for the injury it looks like it's either being picked on by a cage mate, rubbing its head on something, or possibly was being harassed by another one of its cage mates and in an effort to escape banged/caught/rubbed it's head on something. it could also be self mutilation, a skin condition, or a host of other things. without clear pictures there is no way for us to get an idea of the various possibilities.

if it is being caused by a cage mate your only course of action is to remove the one being picked on, unless you know which one is doing the picking, in which case you could remove the one being the bully.

good clear pictures, not a video, of the affected area will make it a lot easier to see whats going on. at the very least be prepared to separate them. on the other end of the spectrum if it is being picked on by a cage mate you could end up needing to make a trip to an avian vet. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I would place the one being picked on in a separate cage now, before things progress to the point where a trip to an avian vet is necessary.
I agree :) let chick pee rest by herself for now

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
It's actually not chick pea, it's Chicka-oh, what does it matter? Anyways, Tic and Chickapee don't seem to have any problems. In fact, they all huddle together under the black light (which BURNS when you touch it, by the way) when they're sleeping. It may be some mating thing, because Chickapee was doing a mating call, but he was like the mother (yes, mother) that Tic and Tac never had. I'll try to get some better pics.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Is Chickapee weak genetically, or could there be something wrong with her?

And my parents "don't want" to take her to the vet.
Might I also suggest not getting exotic pets that you're unable to provide veterinary care for? It's not fair to the animals if their specialized needs are at the whims of your parents, since it seems like you're too young or don't have the means to provide veterinary care yourself... it's all too common, and it's best avoided until you are autonomous.

Status
Not open for further replies.