Something is Wrong With My Button Quail! Please Help if You Know About Gamebirds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's actually not chick pea, it's Chicka-oh, what does it matter? Anyways, Tic and Chickapee don't seem to have any problems. In fact, they all huddle together under the black light (which BURNS when you touch it, by the way) when they're sleeping. It may be some mating thing, because Chickapee was doing a mating call, but he was like the mother (yes, mother) that Tic and Tac never had. I'll try to get some better pics.
Your male bird isn't the mother the other two never had. It is a male. He never was, & never will be, anyone's mom.

Why ask for help, then suggest that everyone, who is suggesting the same basic concept (2 males + 1 female = bad), just simply doesn't understand?

There probably is some "mating thing" being involved, which is all the MORE reason to separate one of the males.

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Might I also suggest not getting exotic pets that you're unable to provide veterinary care for? It's not fair to the animals if their specialized needs are at the whims of your parents, since it seems like you're too young or don't have the means to provide veterinary care yourself... it's all too common, and it's best avoided until you are autonomous.
At some point this has to be said, don't get any more pets at this point. Through several of your posts it's very clear 1. You've done very little research on the purchases your parents have made 2.Your of an age that you have the answers therefor others knowledge is wasted. Wanting to have various pets is not a terrible idea, but everyone has turned into a drama with you. Stick with what you have and learn how to properly take care of them.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
First off, don't tell me what to do. I've done research, and I thought this was supposed to be a helpful site- not one full of jerks like you. We've been raising animals for years, and this is the first time trying button quails. The answer has been repeated several times, and it's actually been days since I separated Chickapee from the others. Everyone just keeps stretching the topic. This is supposed to be an informative site, not one where everyone goes against one newbie. On that note, I bid you farewell. Goodbye

Last edited by a moderator:

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First off, don't tell me what to do. I've done research, and I thought this was supposed to be a helpful site- not one full of jerks like you. We've been raising animals for years, and this is the first time trying button quails. The answer has been repeated several times, and it's actually been days since I separated Chickapee from the others. Everyone just keeps stretching the topic. This is supposed to be an informative site, not one where everyone goes against one newbie. On that note, I bid you farewell. Goodbye .
You haven't done enough research if you couldn't even sex your quails.

I posted a link on the first page to one of the BEST forums on poultry. I don't see any posts on the quail forum that would suggest that you tried to get suggestions from knowledgeable fowl people.

In just me browsing a few threads on there, I already found two threads with info that would be very beneficial to you.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=390896

This one is even about pecking feathers off:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=389319

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Niki - those links are awesome! I've had the pleasure of working with tons of parrots, finches, and softbills, but never with quail. I just might be hooked! thank you for posting them.

it's obvious from the last post that unless we coddle burntsnow and tell him everything he's doing is 100% correct we are wrong and being mean. the reality is he is asking for advice, not getting coddled and told hes doing everything right, and then getting angry about it. the truth here is that we are trying to help you with your pets. you obviously have done little to no research and think you already know it all. at this point not many people are going to be willing to help you. that is a very sad thing because outside the realm of tarantulas a lot of people on this site have a lot to offer. we are not here to hold your hand and tell you what you are doing is right all the time, sorry. you ask for help and when you get it you doo doo all over it. Mister I is absolutely correct. if your parents are not willing to take the animal to the vet, and you don't have the money to take them to the vet, don't get them. no one is going against you, you are asking for advice and then refusing it when it isn't exactly what you want to hear. veterinary care is a part of pet ownership, not just dogs and cats. most vets won't treat fish or inverts, however birds, reptiles, amphibians, mammals are all well within the scope of treatment these days. your parents may have "raised animals for years", thats your parents, not you. raising animals for years would lead me to believe they would understand how important not only veterinary care is, but how important it is to build a good, working relationship with their vets. it seems like you get over defensive EVERY time someone offers you genuine advice. and thats all anyone has done is offer you advice, no one has told you what to do. people took time out of their lives to find links to help you, that doesn't do jack for them. however had you read any of the links Niki posted you'd have been able to do something as easy as sex your obviously sexually dimorphic button quail. Niki didn't have to take time out of her life to do that for you, but she did. and rather than being thankful for that advice you decided to doo doo all over not only her but everyone else that has offered you help. I've offered you plenty of advice in more than than this thread, I sincerely doubt you did more than read the first line before ending up in a huff and starting a reply. you are in for a big shock if this is how you act in the real world.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
What an ungrateful little snot! BurntSnow, get your attitude fixed before you graduate and the real world slaps you in the face. As has been stated, people took time out of their lives that they could have done almost anything else with... spent time with their kids, spent time reading, improving their own knowledge, but no, they spent it on YOU, and ungrateful little child who thinks he knows everything.

Grow up. It's better for everybody involved... mostly you.

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thank you Mister I! I would have used a similar opening line, but i felt it better to leave it for a moderator/admin. thank you!

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The interesting thing is...
I think all those birds are males!
The first one (one with a head injury) shows a bit of a "beard", the second one definitely has it, and as for the black one; I personally own an all-black button quail who's definitely a male; he calls all the time and he has the red "butt" color other males have with no neck "bib."

So. My vote is, they're all males, all beating the crap out of each other, the cage is too small, and yadda yadda yadda...

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The interesting thing is...
I think all those birds are males!
The first one (one with a head injury) shows a bit of a "beard", the second one definitely has it, and as for the black one; I personally own an all-black button quail who's definitely a male; he calls all the time and he has the red "butt" color other males have with no neck "bib."

So. My vote is, they're all males, all beating the crap out of each other, the cage is too small, and yadda yadda yadda...
I was wondering about the possibility of this. I thought I had read somewhere that some color morphs have to be ventrally sexed.

Of course their age & a lack of eggs could also answer that :D

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Well, it turns out that Tac is a male (black one) and Chickapee is a female! Chickapee has a rare mutation that makes her fur have patterns that are like a boy's. Tac is a male. He has the absence of a bib and red breast feathers, but does have red vent feathers. They were hard for me to see because they were hidden behind the black feathers. Several times today, Tac was mating with Chickapee. It went almost exactly like this-
[youtube]5A8RXm4KgTk[/youtube]
I observed that the reason of the feather loss is because while mating, the feather(s) Tac grabs onto are pecked off by accident. At this point I would type rude remarks and make you all feel like %&^#, but some of you were just trying to help. Anyways, after a feather would come loose, Tac would fall off Chickapee, only to try again a few minutes later. It's all pretty graphic, Tac is very aggressive. Anyways, Tic is definitely a male. Case closed.

P.S.
The cage is plenty big. I could even fit in a couple of finches and another button quail in there if I wanted to.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, it turns out that Tac is a male (black one) and Chickapee is a female! Chickapee has a rare mutation that makes her fur have patterns that are like a boy's. Tac is a male. He has the absence of a bib and red breast feathers, but does have red vent feathers. They were hard for me to see because they were hidden behind the black feathers. Several times today, Tac was mating with Chickapee. It went almost exactly like this-
[youtube]5A8RXm4KgTk[/youtube]
I observed that the reason of the feather loss is because while mating, the feather(s) Tac grabs onto are pecked off by accident. At this point I would type rude remarks and make you all feel like %&^#, but some of you were just trying to help. Anyways, after a feather would come loose, Tac would fall off Chickapee, only to try again a few minutes later. It's all pretty graphic, Tac is very aggressive. Anyways, Tic is definitely a male. Case closed.

P.S.
The cage is plenty big. I could even fit in a couple of finches and another button quail in there if I wanted to.
You really are ungreatful... Not "some of you".. But ALL of the users in this thread were trying to help.. Atleast you state there were some that were trying to help.. But really.. You make the comment that you did? That is childish & uncalled for.. Maybe you should try either 1) doing the research yourself.. 2) going else where for other to do the research for you & then bash them 3) shut up & "thank" the users for taking their time for helping you..

Reason why.. I cant say if birds do what you see.. But I have seen reptiles of the same sex appear as they are mating.. All it is.. One is dominating the other.. Again though.. I know nothing about birds... So.. Unless you listen to the ones here or have the animal sexed buy someone who knows what they are looking for.. You cant say which is male or female..

To get better responces in the future in your "I'm going to argue with everyone because I am always right" threads.. Maybe you should think before you submit the reply... No one here is going to try & lie to you.. They have no reason to.. They are offering YOU their knowledge.. Try to soak it up... Its worth it.. You become smarter in the end & gain some new internet buddies..

Anyway.. As I said.. I cant help with the birds.. Best of luck getting the answers you need..

Have a good one.. :razz:

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Chickapee has a rare mutation that makes her fur have patterns that are like a boy's.
It doesn't appear to be a rare mutation, i'm pretty sure Quaillady would have mentioned that. And it's just that the bibs appear to be different.

Large cage or small, you still need to seperate one of the males. From what i've read, they do best in mated pairs & can become aggressive towards others.

someone who knows what they are looking for.. You cant say which is male or female..
In his defense, he has. Burnt did actually go to the poultry forum & a button quail breeder has IDed & sexed them :D

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They are definitely mating. Note the submissive posturing of the female in the first go around + brief copulation. Believew it or not, the ordeal is notably faster than this in many other avian sp. I've never raised birds with the exception of pigeons, so wouldn't know to tell you whether to separate her after x time. However, it's easy to see how she's getting the slight injury to the nape. Good luck with it. :)
Terry

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bald spots on hens

I never raised quail but raised chickens for years,and Grandpa says....

1. when you have hens with bold heads you got to many roosters gang raping the few hens

2. the ones with bald spots are the roosters favorite

3. those hens just like it rough

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
At this point I would type rude remarks and make you all feel like %&^#, but some of you were just trying to help.
This kid is unbelievable. Who does he think he is?
Kids. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Including humans. Well, unless there's a th- um...yeah, I'll sign up on those forums...thanks.

I think I know what you were about to say before you stopped yourself. You sound like you're 10. Where do you hear this stuff and learn this behavior?
I blame it on poor parenting. :rolleyes:

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
You really are ungreatful... Not "some of you".. But ALL of the users in this thread were trying to help.. Atleast you state there were some that were trying to help.. But really.. You make the comment that you did? That is childish & uncalled for.. Maybe you should try either 1) doing the research yourself.. 2) going else where for other to do the research for you & then bash them 3) shut up & "thank" the users for taking their time for helping you..

Reason why.. I cant say if birds do what you see.. But I have seen reptiles of the same sex appear as they are mating.. All it is.. One is dominating the other.. Again though.. I know nothing about birds... So.. Unless you listen to the ones here or have the animal sexed buy someone who knows what they are looking for.. You cant say which is male or female..
If people were really being helpful instead of rude jerks blind to how mean they really are, I probably would have gotten the answer sooner. Also, they're not dominating one another. That's complete BS. They're mating. Backyardchickens members confirmed it, tons of videos confirm it, and that video obviously doesn't show them "dominating" each other. Reptiles are much different than birds. You should definitely think before you post too, because I did find out the gender from other sources. The people here know jack @#$% about birds. Unlike you, I actually went and did my research. There's two males. And a female.
BB709 said:
I think I know what you were about to say before you stopped yourself. You sound like you're 10.
If you can understand that from 2 letters, you're just as childish.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you can understand that from 2 letters, you're just as childish.
Nope. It means I'm an ADULT. I'm allowed to know these things.

Edit: By the way, you're not allowed to abbreviate your swearing or do $##$%#$^#$^$%&$$#*%%^*%^% to edit. Read the rules, Kid.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

To get better responces in the future in your "I'm going to argue with everyone because I am always right" threads.. Maybe you should think before you submit the reply... No one here is going to try & lie to you.. They have no reason to.. They are offering YOU their knowledge.. Try to soak it up... Its worth it.. You become smarter in the end & gain some new internet buddies..

Anyway.. As I said.. I cant help with the birds.. Best of luck getting the answers you need..

Have a good one.. :razz:
If people were really being helpful instead of rude jerks blind to how mean they really are, I probably would have gotten the answer sooner.
Maybe if your were not being so hostile... You might have got your answer sooner...

Also, they're not dominating one another. That's complete BS. They're mating.
If you look about all your nonsence... You notice.. I did quote myself.. No read it really slow.. I mean sloooow... It says... It appears as if they were dominating.. I also followed it with.. "I know nothing about birds.."
Does that make a bite of sence to you? No?

Here.. For me to break it down a little for you to comprehend.. "It was a suggestion!" Did that help?

Backyardchickens members confirmed it, tons of videos confirm it, and that video obviously doesn't show them "dominating" each other.
I am very glad you got your answer.. Did you bash them for helping you? I hope not..

Reptiles are much different than birds.
Holy cow! :eek: Reptiles are different than birds?!?! OMG! I would have never guess it.. Thank you! ;)

You should definitely think before you post too, because I did find out the gender from other sources.
I always think before I post.. I even think WHILE I am typing what I post.. Crazy aint it?!

The people here know jack @#$% about birds.
Again... Comments like these get you no where.. ;) Stop being so hostile.. There are many members here that know alot about birds.. They just choose not to share their information with you because they think you are a snot nose little brat...

Unlike you, I actually went and did my research. There's two males. And a female.
I do not have to do research on any birds.. I dont keep birds.. I dont plan to keep birds.. Birds do not interest me in the least.. Nothing against those who keep them.. They are just not for me.. :cool:

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This kid is unbelievable. Who does he think he is?
Kids. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Including humans. Well, unless there's a th- um...yeah, I'll sign up on those forums...thanks.

I think I know what you were about to say before you stopped yourself. You sound like you're 10. Where do you hear this stuff and learn this behavior?
I blame it on poor parenting. :rolleyes:
little brat needs more than a time out,needs to go cut himself a good switch from a peach tree and hand it over to someone to learn him some yes sirs and no sirs

Status
Not open for further replies.