Some spiders from my Trip

Rathkeaux

Arachnopeon
Some pictures I snapped this past week from my trip to north mississippi. I don't really know the scientific names for most of these little guys, some I don't even know common names for. This was my first attempt at spider photography with any kind of camera that was actually decent.
This spider here just looked cool as it seems to have a skull design on its abdomen(leg span is about a cm)

This next series of photos is of a small jumping spider that attacked a carpenter ant (or whatever those big black ants are called). The jumping spider was sitting on the top of a fence post; the ant ran up the post and got tagged, he then fell down to the crossbar of the fence and acted like he was in some serious pain, twitching etc. Then the jumper meandered down and proceeded to have some lunch.

coming down to take a look

little bit closer

I feel proud of this shot

tried to get a better picture of the little guys back, he was pretty small though so it was quite difficult.

The next series is a good size Jumping spider of some variety, he was maybe 1.5cm long body length not counting legs.

He attacked a small ant lion looking creature that seemed to mimic a piece of moss or lichen.

This next spider had about a 2 cm leg spread, and I have never really seen anything like him before. Very odd little guy.

This next spider was tiny maybe 4 mm leg span, he seemed to be a jumper of some variety.

And last but certainly not least, the only spider I killed, only out of shock that it was on my bare leg. Normally I would just photo or capture, but I was standing in a creepy little cemetery looking for missing headstones when I looked down and saw her on me, needless to say I reacted instinctively.

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
very cool spiders:clap: thanks for sharing, too bad for the widow though.

Rathkeaux

Arachnopeon
I've been searching crab spiders for the past hour or so, most of them do resemble pic#1 in some way so I believe he must belong in that group but I have not found a picture close enough to give a scientific name yet.

Blaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yep, the green one is probably a Peucetia viridans. Wanted to have one of those once, pity they're almost unavailable here. :)

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lovely spiders. Too bad some of the pics you couldn't see them too well. Feel sorry for the widow though. I don't know what I would do in that situation.

Black Widow88

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some pictures I snapped this past week from my trip to north mississippi. I don't really know the scientific names for most of these little guys, some I don't even know common names for. This was my first attempt at spider photography with any kind of camera that was actually decent.
This spider here just looked cool as it seems to have a skull design on its abdomen(leg span is about a cm)
crab spider, yeah. i'll try to narrow it for you

maybe Thomisidae crab spiders.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/1957/bgpage
it looks like the eye pattern might match

and Misumena genus are pretty like that. well, i am going to stop at Thomisidae most like and some kind of Misumena maybe.

bugguide says
"

Misumena:

All four anterior (front) eyes are about the same size. When viewed from the front, and a little above, it seems all eight eyes are visible and form a crescent shape. The lateral eyes are on tubercles, but the posterior laterals are visible."
http://bugguide.net/node/view/6749

Last edited:

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awww crap! You beat me to it! But yes the first one is indeed a crab spider. I love them and I hope I see one someday.

Black Widow88