Some spider pics

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I visited this local park that is a spider paradise. You can wander in a brushy area the size of your living room and find a zillion bugs and spiders.

P. clarus female

P. clarus male

Argiope aurantia (every one I've seen to date have been juvenile, but this girl must have had her web in the perfect spot)

Green Lynx male

Also seen were P. audux and many smaller orb weavers hiding in the leaves. I assume these were eaiting for nightfall to weave their web.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
More pics from that area

Yellow Crab Spider

Green Lynx

Young entomologist catching a jumper (poor kid, I've really screwed her up, she thinks bugs are cool and wants to be an entomologist)

Last edited:

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great pics!
Love green lynx ...had one for a spell until she somehow slipped past me during feeding. Never found her. :?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
great shots of that green lynx!that first one came out perfect.nice job

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All of those are great, especially the lynx. :)

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Green Lynx are not hard to find here once you're in the right habitat. They perch up high on brushy plants, often at the very top. The gal above had herself a Japanese Beetle. Not sure if she would be able to eat that.

They do well in captivity in a minimal habitat.

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Have you had any luck keeping the Argiope aurantia in captivity., There are several large ones at my work place and I would like to catch one to study and admire. However I dont want to catch one one just to watch it pass.
Jason

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great photos, particuarly the lynx! That park must be so abundant with spider life.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I haven't kept them for a long time. I kept several juveniles in jars for a few weeks. I included a v shaped plant stem for them to spin a small web. They did well and ate and molted.

An enclosure like a 2.5g or 5g with some sort of frame to web onto should work for larger ones.

Others have likey kept them and have ideas for enclosures

Have you had any luck keeping the Argiope aurantia in captivity., There are several large ones at my work place and I would like to catch one to study and admire. However I dont want to catch one one just to watch it pass.
Jason