Some people! (LP sling advice)

ChickenTaco

Arachnosquire
I don't know wether to laugh or cry, but I need some fast advice on the brazilian salmon pink. So long story short a friend contacted me the other day and asked if I'd take a free L.P.! Apparently a family member received a young L.P. for a birthday gift as a joke from some conversation or whatnot(and it was not well received) and my friend figured that since I have spiders I'd be a willing and safe caretaker for this suddenly free baby spider! I should be getting this little buddy on Sunday if all works out. As I don't actually have a ton of experience in tarantulas( my own is a Chaco), as much as true spiders what do I need to know about this guys? I've already looked up size, temp, etc. But what about humidity/soil conditions or anything else?(I know there are many an opinion so it's hard to be sure!) Not sure what condition the critter will be in so I'll post pics when I pick it up :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Don't worry about temperature and humidity.

For an enclosure, just get a deli cup. Most grocery store deli's will give you one for free. Poke plenty of holes with a pin - too many is better than not enough. Keep the substrate mildly damp (not wet!) until it reaches about 1.5-2" across. After that, just overflow the water dish every week or so. Your sling will absolutely burrow at least a couple of inches, so be sure to provide enough substrate for that. Beyond that... nothing. This is a very easy sling to raise. It's tolerant of droughts to an extent, so it's forgiving of husbandry mistakes. Feed, feed, feed! These grow to be giant spiders and will eat as such. Don't be afraid to feed as much as it'll eat up until the 2" mark. Assuming you're getting a 2i/3i sling, you should have a 2" spider within 6 months.

ChickenTaco

Arachnosquire
Haha thanks! Good to know theres no secret to keeping the little munchers. Still crazy that I went from thinking of buying a dwarf for my next T to receiving a baby giant! This actually happened to us personally once where someone we knew thought we would want another parakeet! You'd think one would ask before buying someone an animal! But it worked out in the end I suppose :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@ChickenTaco I didn't say any of that ;) In the future, just hit "Reply" on my post and simply start typing to quote me and respond.

Yeah, buying animals as a surprise gift is usually very much a faux pas. Not sure why people do it. I mean those of us in this hobby would likely welcome a new spider with open arms, but for someone who has zero spiders? And to buy that person a spider that gets to be the size of a dinner plate? That's a bit mean...

ChickenTaco

Arachnosquire
@ChickenTaco I didn't say any of that ;) In the future, just hit "Reply" on my post and simply start typing to quote me and respond. Haha sorry I meant to hit reply! Hit quote instead unintentionally! Don't walk while typing apparently I swear I know how to use an electronic device (mostly )

Yeah, buying animals as a surprise gift is usually very much a faux pas. Not sure why people do it. I mean those of us in this hobby would likely welcome a new spider with open arms, but for someone who has zero spiders? And to buy that person a spider that gets to be the size of a dinner plate? That's a bit mean...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@ChickenTaco Swing and a miss :rofl:

Although, I'd like to take back what I said. If someone gave me a G. rosea/porteri sling, I'd likely slap them in the throat.

ChickenTaco

Arachnosquire
@ChickenTaco Swing and a miss :rofl:

Although, I'd like to take back what I said. If someone gave me a G. rosea/porteri sling, I'd likely slap them in the throat.
Hehe I've heard they can have nasty tempers! With my luck I'll probably end up whith one at some point!

ChickenTaco

Arachnosquire
Nope K pretty sure I figured this out now! Before it's just said @ and not the quote when I replied so for a sec there I was confused! But now I've got it! I swear!(ya know till I forget in like 6 hours XD)

user 666

Arachnobaron
@EulersK is right; this is an easy T to raise. i have two.

It is a pet hole when small, but if you are lucky it will dig one or more tunnels against the sides of the enclosure.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
How big are they when they grow out of that phase?
Roughly 1".

What I'm about to say applies to all NW terrestrials (in my experience). Not so much with OW terrestrials. A juvie will continue to use the burrow that they created as a sling. Indeed, they'll actually expand the burrow as they grow if allowed to stay in the same enclosure. But once you rehouse them, they never bother to remake the burrow so long as you provide a hide. I think this may be why most of the tarantulas we find in the wild are living in burrows - they simply expand the burrow that they made as slings. Not sure, purely speculation on that point.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I got mine at just over and under an inch 2m and 3m ago. They've about doubled their size since I got them.

I am tempted to rehouse them to see if they do what you predict (not dig any more tunnels) but I rather like the extensive tunnel setup one has created. I think I'll wait until they outgrow their enclosures before disturbing them.

Leila

Arachnobaron
I don't know wether to laugh or cry, but I need some fast advice on the brazilian salmon pink. So long story short a friend contacted me the other day and asked if I'd take a free L.P.! Apparently a family member received a young L.P. for a birthday gift as a joke from some conversation or whatnot(and it was not well received) and my friend figured that since I have spiders I'd be a willing and safe caretaker for this suddenly free baby spider! I should be getting this little buddy on Sunday if all works out. As I don't actually have a ton of experience in tarantulas( my own is a Chaco), as much as true spiders what do I need to know about this guys? I've already looked up size, temp, etc. But what about humidity/soil conditions or anything else?(I know there are many an opinion so it's hard to be sure!) Not sure what condition the critter will be in so I'll post pics when I pick it up :)
Somewhat similar thing happened to me today. The upside is that I got 2 free slings. :happy:

cold blood

Staff member
@EulersK is right; this is an easy T to raise. i have two.

It is a pet hole when small, but if you are lucky it will dig one or more tunnels against the sides of the enclosure.
Ive never ever had any lasiodora burrow as a sling.

OP, simplify, just keep part of the sub damp and feed once or twice a week...I suggest keeping them in a condiment cup, like this...

user 666

Arachnobaron
that's no surprise when you give it hardly any substrate!

Me, I felt bad when my LP arrived and it kept trying to hide under a clump of substrate. That's when I gave it enough substrate to dig in.

Coincidentally, I also have a couple arboreal 2" Lampropelma sp.Borneo Black who have dug extensive burrows. One has two entrances to its burrows, the other had three (but then I covered one while adding more substrate.).