Some Advice?

valentina96

Arachnopeon
Okay cool thank you everyone for your advice I will put her in a temporary container and check the substrate to make sure the mealworm is not there anymore. Thanks!!

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Okay cool thank you everyone for your advice I will put her in a temporary container
Smart move,IMHO.If you find the mealworm,then you remove the threat.And you can put another mealworm close to the burrow,WITH THE HEAD CRUSHED!.
A T will take down prey pretty darn quick.
If you cant find the mealworm,then you know your T has had a good meal...and you can relax for a while.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The other thing you can do is offer a cricket to switch things up. Crickets generally don't burrow, but they can nibble on a molting T. With every feeder tossed, stick around to see if your T takes it right off the bat. If they don't after the insect passes by a few times, it's either not hungry or in premolt. Remove it and toss it to another. You only have 1 T you say ? Not for long ;) Like those potato chips, you can't have just one :)

valentina96

Arachnopeon
The other thing you can do is offer a cricket to switch things up. Crickets generally don't burrow, but they can nibble on a molting T. With every feeder tossed, stick around to see if your T takes it right off the bat. If they don't after the insect passes by a few times, it's either not hungry or in premolt. Remove it and toss it to another. You only have 1 T you say ? Not for long ;) Like those potato chips, you can't have just one :)
With the crickets, how big should they be? I just want to make sure I order the right size for my 5-6cm T just because I got dubia roaches and they were way too big.
And yeah I only have one T, pretty sure I'll get more in the future I just need to make sure I'm taking proper care of this one for now 😩😭

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
With the crickets, how big should they be? I just want to make sure I order the right size for my 5-6cm T just because I got dubia roaches and they were way too big.
And yeah I only have one T, pretty sure I'll get more in the future I just need to make sure I'm taking proper care of this one for now 😩😭
At that size, an adult cricket is an easy snack. Just one or two per feeding. Just purchase them as needed. And no need to feed every week. You can space it out every 2-3 weeks or more. It's incredible how little they need to stay healthy. One of the most popular books suggested 6-8 a month. I think that's still a bit much. Mine get 2-4 and they are doing very well.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hey, some people can eat cantaloupe. I think it smells like hot garbage.
My SO is the same way, she is repulsed by pretty much all melons, although she has started to be able to eat in season watermelon marinated in lime.
got dubia roaches
By the way dubia burrow as well so if you are feeding them you also need to crush their heads.

worm status??

valentina96

Arachnopeon
Did you find the worm?
So I removed the tarantula in a container and gave her another worm just to see if she would eat it and she didnt, moved away from the worm. I took the substrate out and searched it thoroughly and couldnt find the worm so i'm guessing she did eat it. I'll keep an eye out anyway just in case. Also I've attached some pictures they arent the best quality but is anyone able to tell me if she might be in pre-molt or not? She looks a bit whiteish. Thank you!

Attachments

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
So I removed the tarantula in a container and gave her another worm just to see if she would eat it and she didnt, moved away from the worm. I took the substrate out and searched it thoroughly and couldnt find the worm so i'm guessing she did eat it. I'll keep an eye out anyway just in case. Also I've attached some pictures they arent the best quality but is anyone able to tell me if she might be in pre-molt or not? She looks a bit whiteish. Thank you!
She has a decent bit of chunk on her. G pulchras love to seal up and just not come out for months if they feel like they have ate enough. I was feeding mine way too much and she sealed up and didn't come out for 8 weeks.

They can seal up even longer if they are in pre molt. Either way, just let her do her thing and she'll come out when she's ready, just make sure she always has water.

This is where if you can accommodate them, having a few T's can help pass the time so you aren't just looking at one tub of dirt for what feels like a lifetime. (A watched G. Pulchra never boils)