Some Advice?

valentina96

Arachnopeon
Hey guys. I know you've probably come across this question before but I was wondering if you can give me some advice.
I got a juvenile G.Pulchra on the 1st of April this year and fed her for the first time a week after I got her however in that week she already burrowed herself in substrate but not deep at all. She closed off the entrance to the hide but there was still some small space where I could access her so I placed a mini mealworm and she did react to it but I'm not sure 100% she ate it however I cant see it anymore. The next day she closed that small space as well so now I cant see her at all and she has been hidden for the past week. I've read other similar threads about this and it says not to disturb the T because she might be in pre-molt or doesnt want to be disturbed but I am a bit worried as I dont know if I should try feeding her again or...? Sorry for the long post any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Uhm no I didnt, is that concerning?
Yes it is, especially judging that you said it closed off it’s burrow (maybe premolt) and you attempted to feed it an non injured meal worm. The meal worms will burrow when heads not crushed and can eat and snack on a defenseless molting tarantula...

valentina96

Arachnopeon
Yes it is, especially judging that you said it closed off it’s burrow (maybe premolt) and you attempted to feed it an non injured meal worm. The meal worms will burrow and can eat and snack on a defenseless molting tarantula...
Should I try and check on her?

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Ok....normally you never do this......If it was me,and I would do the unthinkable,and GENTLY try to find that mealworm.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Uhm no I didnt, is that concerning?
Yes, because if it was ignored, the mealworm will burrow out of sight. Eventually, it will pupate into an adult beetle, which can make a meal out of your T if it's in the middle of molting and defenceless. Crushing the heads prevents them from burrowing, but still gets them wriggling enough for a hungry T to grab. Hopefully, your pulchra grabbed the worm as a last meal before going into premolt.

It's a big risk. You'd be better off disturbing your T now and yanking out the mealie if it's still alive. Always ensure the worm is caught right away. Otherwise, pull it out and feed it to another critter.

valentina96

Arachnopeon
So I had to check on her, she is perfectly fine, she hasnt molted or anything and it has been a week since I gave her the mealworm and there's no sign of it.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another thing is that pulchras aren't exactly cheap. The last thing you want is your prize T to be eaten by a lowly mealworm beetle. Better to be safe than sorry. Dig around the sub, hopefully you can find it easily enough.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
You would be impressed how easily buffalo beetles can find protein. My vote is with a couple others. Carefully dig it up, have a catch cup ready. Try NOT to dig in a way that will collapse the tunnel. You don't have to though. It's a gamble.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I had to check on her, she is perfectly fine, she hasnt molted or anything and it has been a week since I gave her the mealworm and there's no sign of it.
I made that mistake once, assuming it was gone and eaten. A month later, it came out as a freshly pupated beetle. Fortunately, my T was not in the middle of molting and I noticed it. It was in my big boehmei's tank. She will not touch a beetle no matter what.

valentina96

Arachnopeon
I checked the bottom of the enclosure as well and there's no sign of the mealworm. I slightly pulled the T's hide up a bit just to see her and she is looking good. She has also dug quite a huge space so I'm guessing the mealworm is gone? I cant exactly dig down in the substrate where she is but I did on the other side

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I made that mistake once, assuming it was gone and eaten. A month later, it came out as a freshly pupated beetle. Fortunately, my T was not in the middle of molting and I noticed it. It was in my big boehmei's tank. She will not touch a beetle no matter what.
They all musk and it smells like powerful baby powder. I don't blame it.

I checked the bottom of the enclosure as well and there's no sign of the mealworm. I slightly pulled the T's hide up a bit just to see her and she is looking good. She has also dug quite a huge space so I'm guessing the mealworm is gone? I cant exactly dig down in the substrate where she is but I did on the other side
Rehouse to be 100% certain.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To get back on track, I would temporarily remove your pulchra to a temporary container and sift thoroughly. Leave no spot unchecked.

Edit : OP, this would not be considered a rehouse. Just maintenance. Once you've sifted through the sub completely and found truly nothing, just tamp the sub back, replace the hide and introduce the T back. It will make itself at home in no time flat.