So my whole house is getting painted

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
20160822_172411.jpg

All set, safe from paint fumes (they'll start tomorrow till saturday. All spiders have fresh water.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
I taped the door shut. I hope they'll be okay til saturday. two versicolor slings molted. I expect the 3rd (same eggsac) to molt in the next few days.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
So one side of the house (front, which includes the closet with T's) is done, the other side will be done tomorrow. That is also the side of the house which catches the most sun in the afternoon. It's 30C/86F here, and temps will go up to max of 35C/95F so the paint will dry quickly since it's not too humid. My question is. the side that will be done tomorrow, is also the location of the T room, when will it be safe to move them back? Would saturday be safe?

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I'm not saying that every precaution you have taken isn't required because it is always better to be safe than sorry but you said in your original post that your concern is for the fumes from oil based paints. I'm in the construction business and can honestly say 80% of exterior painting done on wood is with a water based paint.
So what I'm saying I guess is do you know for certain they will be using oil based or is this just your assumption?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It may be too late to suggest this, but you may want to put a small table top fan into that closet. Not absolutely needed, but I personally wouldn't want that stagnant air for that long. If you do choose to do this, then be sure to point it away from any spiders - perhaps put it on the top enclosure and point it straight upwards. However, if the painting has already begun, then leave well enough alone.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
It may be too late to suggest this, but you may want to put a small table top fan into that closet. Not absolutely needed, but I personally wouldn't want that stagnant air for that long. If you do choose to do this, then be sure to point it away from any spiders - perhaps put it on the top enclosure and point it straight upwards. However, if the painting has already begun, then leave well enough alone.
There isn't really room for a fan in that closet, and the painting has begun. I will get them out saturday.

@REEFSPIDER i asked them and they said it was oil based. Weirr though, a neighbour complained about the strong smell and got a headache from the paint. But im in my bedroom which was done yesterday and all smells are gone.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
There isn't really room for a fan in that closet, and the painting has begun. I will get them out saturday.

@REEFSPIDER i asked them and they said it was oil based. Weirr though, a neighbour complained about the strong smell and got a headache from the paint. But im in my bedroom which was done yesterday and all smells are gone.
Well that is weird. I think some people will complain about anything. Some people maybe are more sensitive than others, or maybe you are like me and the fumes are groovy. :happy: I used to paint a lot in high school and after a while I could barely smell any fumes. :hungry::mask:

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
I'm really really tempted to open the closet to check on them bit i don't know it it's safe.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
I'll think i'll wait a day to be safe. Checking on them tomorrow. Putting them back saturday.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
@REEFSPIDER since you're in the construction bunisess, can you confirm something for me? I've read somewhere that the concentration of toxic fumes are at their highest when fresh applied (which makes sense), but also that when dried, all toxic solvents will have evaporated and that the paint no longer emits paint fumes.

Any thruth to this? And it's confirmed oil based paint they're working with.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Spider room has been painted (window frames) around 2pm, i have left it like running like this, and will leave it running this evening. Fan at the right pointed at the window. 20160825_172954.jpg

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
@REEFSPIDER since you're in the construction bunisess, can you confirm something for me? I've read somewhere that the concentration of toxic fumes are at their highest when fresh applied (which makes sense), but also that when dried, all toxic solvents will have evaporated and that the paint no longer emits paint fumes.

Any thruth to this? And it's confirmed oil based paint they're working with.
Confirmed. Oil based paints contain a chemical solvent (thinner) a resin (binder) and a pigment (color) when applied the solvent immediately begins to evaporate and this is the highest time for concentrations of vapors to collect. As the paint dries to the surface the resin soaks into the wood and hardens pulling color pigment in with it (this is why oil based paints are better for saturation) but once it has completely dried there is 0 presence of solvent left. The hardened resin forms a "outer shell" on the painted surface and your good. If you had one of those micron analyzing devices you would probably pick up some kind of residuals but I highly doubt anything seriously dangerous. BUT, this is also why they stress the window open for ventilation when using solvents or solvent based paints. Hope it helps. Once it's dry I wouldn't worry at all.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Yeah thanks, you can see the setup i have, plenty of ventilation. The frames that were painted yesterday are dry, since when I touch them i see no paint marks nor do I get sticky fingers, yet it feels funny, but I think that is because although its dry, it needs to harden?

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
This is really killing me. Im really nervous about it.
There needs to be a don't worry emoji :angelic:
I suffer from anxiety myself so I know how much someone saying "don't worry" can go both ways. It either helps a lot or it's like a slap in the face. But I'm sure your T's will be fine. I think I understand why they would be using oil based paints. Quite a lot more rainfall where you're at than California we are in a drought so bad that we just paint houses with water based because it would need to rain a lot more to wash it off of a house
Yeah thanks, you can see the setup i have, plenty of ventilation. The frames that were painted yesterday are dry, since when I touch them i see no paint marks nor do I get sticky fingers, yet it feels funny, but I think that is because although its dry, it needs to harden?
precisely and depending on your painters skill and how much effort was put into applying it. If it was just thrown on in thick coats it will take a while to dry thoroughly.