- Feb 24, 2016
A few days in that stuffy closet wont be a problem?
There isn't really room for a fan in that closet, and the painting has begun. I will get them out saturday.It may be too late to suggest this, but you may want to put a small table top fan into that closet. Not absolutely needed, but I personally wouldn't want that stagnant air for that long. If you do choose to do this, then be sure to point it away from any spiders - perhaps put it on the top enclosure and point it straight upwards. However, if the painting has already begun, then leave well enough alone.
Well that is weird. I think some people will complain about anything. Some people maybe are more sensitive than others, or maybe you are like me and the fumes are groovy. I used to paint a lot in high school and after a while I could barely smell any fumes.There isn't really room for a fan in that closet, and the painting has begun. I will get them out saturday.
@REEFSPIDER i asked them and they said it was oil based. Weirr though, a neighbour complained about the strong smell and got a headache from the paint. But im in my bedroom which was done yesterday and all smells are gone.
Confirmed. Oil based paints contain a chemical solvent (thinner) a resin (binder) and a pigment (color) when applied the solvent immediately begins to evaporate and this is the highest time for concentrations of vapors to collect. As the paint dries to the surface the resin soaks into the wood and hardens pulling color pigment in with it (this is why oil based paints are better for saturation) but once it has completely dried there is 0 presence of solvent left. The hardened resin forms a "outer shell" on the painted surface and your good. If you had one of those micron analyzing devices you would probably pick up some kind of residuals but I highly doubt anything seriously dangerous. BUT, this is also why they stress the window open for ventilation when using solvents or solvent based paints. Hope it helps. Once it's dry I wouldn't worry at all.@REEFSPIDER since you're in the construction bunisess, can you confirm something for me? I've read somewhere that the concentration of toxic fumes are at their highest when fresh applied (which makes sense), but also that when dried, all toxic solvents will have evaporated and that the paint no longer emits paint fumes.
Any thruth to this? And it's confirmed oil based paint they're working with.
There needs to be a don't worry emojiThis is really killing me. Im really nervous about it.
precisely and depending on your painters skill and how much effort was put into applying it. If it was just thrown on in thick coats it will take a while to dry thoroughly.Yeah thanks, you can see the setup i have, plenty of ventilation. The frames that were painted yesterday are dry, since when I touch them i see no paint marks nor do I get sticky fingers, yet it feels funny, but I think that is because although its dry, it needs to harden?