So I made an application...

tisha

Arachnopeon
Try the other method I posted, copy com.tarantulas.p3kb folder to the same location in the other phone. I hope that works.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Hmm idk im not phone litterate now and goin samsung to lg im a bit lost xD.. As said ill try something later maybe... If not put all records in when im super bored

tisha

Arachnopeon
Version 2.04.22 is now available for download!
Updates and Fixes:
» Add 'Quick Backup', backup will not include pictures
» Add option to 'Keep one picture per T' from settings
» Some additional multi-select menu options
» Minor UI updates
Please download it from http://tarantulas.p3kb.com/ or from Google Play
Thanks!

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
I had the same problem as pyro when I did an upgrade, I also lost all of my data but I thought it was due to my own stupidity.

If I inspect the backed up .data files most of them appear to be 20KB in size. For instance on my sdcard/mytarantulas/db/20150209 (yes I checked this morning) tfeed.data is only 20KB. Is this correct?

I can do with out a lot but having to recapture all the info is very tedious and I like having all the info(its like having a full service history for a car)

p.s Still the best Tarantula application out there! Keep up the good work!

tisha

Arachnopeon
Hi BossRoss, most of the data files are ~15KB-50KB only, depending on the amount of data you have. Like my tlist, it is only 44KB, settings is 16KB but my pic database is 126MB. :bruised:
The problem with android, I don't remember when it started, but on 4.4, apps are not allowed to write to the external sd card so you have to manually move the backup files from your internal/phone memory to your external card.
I do this almost every time I backup my data because once your device crashes, you may not be able to access your phone's memory and you'll loose the data. Always have a copy in your external card, just don't loose your phone. :laugh:
Also, since I work on a computer everyday, I almost always have my phone plugged-in and I can always copy the files to my computer for safe keeping. :happy:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
im pretty sure now that the reason must be my stupidity or because i was going form samsung to lg.. i tried to coppy the entire app to my sd card, like i did with a few other apps not on the market.. and bring it over to sd card [meaning taking all data from samsung as i moved instead of coppied like a derp] it still wouldnt work for me.. and when i tried to put back on samsung now saying that only the pic table is a faiure to restore but wont let me have any of my old info... so ig i hafta go in from scratch and do it by hand [which sucks as idr all dates of feeds and some i got in real life not a card purchase so no digital tracking]

either way still love the app..as if im to lazy to write it all down or cant find a pen i can just hit a button and 'feed' all my T's and have the dates..and ill just use the new backup alongside hand written info just incase i move info again :\ either way thanks for trying to help tisha :D

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
Tisha, is there any test cases when can do to help you identify the problem(if one exists)?

tisha

Arachnopeon
Me and pyro has been in contact thru PM, I also need to do some research on this problem. I haven't used any device other than Samsung galaxies and some emulators and all seems to work fine, even moving my backup into BlueStacks emulator.

@BossRoss, can you give me some info on when you lost your data? Thru update from where? Is it from play store or via a downloaded APK installer?
App data should not be deleted by android unless it is an uninstall, even if uninstalled, the backup files (in mytarantulas/db/) shouldn't be deleted also.

Last edited:

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
It was about 2 months ago I lost all the data. I backed up to SD card. Formatted and factory reset the device)had a whole bunch of junk I wanted to get rid of before I did an update to my device). All data on SD card was unaffected but I got the same error as pyro when I attempted to restore. I also tried to manually copy the files from SD card to device storage but it also did not work. At this stage I was using the direct download(not through Google play store or anything like that)

I am currently using a Sony Xperia S.
Sony Build Number: 23.0.1.A.0.167
Android Version: 4.4.4

I am happy to help with any test cases you might need, just let me know. I also don't store many pics within the app, just one pic per T for the image as this helps me to identify the actual T with the one on my phone.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
no need to worry about it i dont think,especially not with my case. after spending the last hr or so trying move the files around [which obviously are there to some degree] i give up im sure i messed something up somewhere.. as when i bring it to the sd card i get a "file type not supported" message on the lg.. oh well i can start over... XD

ps: also i originally updated thru the links your provided and never thru the app store.. but it did say i had it installed.. dont think it said the app updated itself pretty sure i did it thru ur links as well

tisha

Arachnopeon
Thanks pyro and boss, I'll do some research on it especially on moving to different device (manufacturer), I've only tested moving data from my S4 to my wife's S3 and Tab3, and all went well.
At least I have something more to do. ;)

tisha

Arachnopeon
Version 2.05.08 is now available for download!
Updates and Fixes:
» Minor updates on restore folder list actions
» (BETA) Added an alternate restore method if the regular method failed
» (BETA) Updates to 'Keep only one picture per T', after saving settings, excess pictures will be cleaned
» Updated save 'About Me' page to run in thread
» Updated save settings to run in thread
» (BETA) Add 'Auto-(Quick)backup on exit' option from settings, runs a Quick Backup everytime the app closes
» Renamed backup folders, adds '_FULL' and '_QUICK' depending on the backup option
» (BETA) Update on 'View' picture from T info, swipe left or right to change picture display
» UI adjustments
» Minor bug fixes
» (BETA) Stability improvements
Thanks!

tisha

Arachnopeon
Version 2.05.09 is now available for download!
Updates and Fixes:
» Fix 'Backup & Restore' menu options if 'Auto-backup' is enabled
Version 2.05.08
» Minor updates on restore folder list actions
» (BETA) Added an alternate restore method if the regular method failed
» (BETA) Updates to 'Keep only one picture per T', after saving settings, excess pictures will be cleaned
» Updated save 'About Me' page to run in thread
» Updated save settings to run in thread
» (BETA) Add 'Auto-(Quick)backup on exit' option from settings, runs a Quick Backup everytime the app closes
» Renamed backup folders, adds '_FULL' and '_QUICK' depending on the backup option
» (BETA) Update on 'View' picture from T info, swipe left or right to change picture display
» UI adjustments
» Minor bug fixes
» (BETA) Stability improvements
Thanks!

tisha

Arachnopeon
Version 2.05.12 is now available for download!
Updates and Fixes:
» Add 'Last Rehouse' to add/edit Tarantula, show/hide from Settings
» Add sort by molt date desc/asc
» UI adjustments
Thanks!

tisha

Arachnopeon
Version 2.05.18 is now available for download!
Updates and Fixes:
» 'Prev Molt Cycle' adjustments if '' is not set
» Additional date compare formats: MM-DD-YYYY, YYYY-MM-DD, MM/DD/YYYY, YYYY/MM/DD
i.e. 02-05-1981, 1981-02-05, 02/05/1981, 1981/02/05
» (BETA) Option to show date picker on add new molt, enable/disable from settings
» (BETA) Add 'Update last feeding date' to multi-select options
» UI adjustments
Thanks!