So I bought my first T finally. All input appreciated.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
As soon as I posted that she started crawling all over the place. I'm just jittery I guess :embarrassed:
Take it from someone else fairly new, who worried about everything... Tarantulas know how to tarantula :) Typically all they need us to do is set up the right home for them, drop some food in once in a while, and makes sure they have clean water. After that, we can sit back and enjoy the show, or lack thereof in some cases.

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
@Caseyface I don't have a ton of space and I work in retail haha.
I used to work retail, and I have three words for you: SAY NO MORE. Hehehe.

But, but, but, having 30 tarantulas isn't as bad as having 30 cats or dogs, or even five. They don't require too much space to store, and you can get pretty creative with stacking (safely) and such. Some of these members have posted videos of their collections, and it is inspiring. I only have two adults (and one is a dwarf) and one juvie tarantula, the rest are all spiderlings. I have PLENTY of space now with my three shelving units, but as they all grow within the next few years and require larger housing, that space will dwindle. But, it will take quite some time from now.

I also have other animals, two dogs, two bearded dragons, schools of fish, and one slug. The tarantulas honestly don't add any burden to my current "animal workload."

Jason B

Arachnosquire
@Caseyface I don't have a ton of space and I work in retail haha. I also have a number of other pets already. So I don't know if I can get away with that many, both because of space restrictions and not having a ton of money. I would like more eventually though.

She's beautiful. When I'm not at work, I'm often at my computer and I have her setup right next to me where I can watch her do her thing. She is pretty active for the most part. Have yet to actually see her move any sub around though.

And ya I've watched unboxing videos to see what good shipping looks like. Jabberwock Reptiles did an excellent job. Healthy T too from what I can tell, and for a really good price based on what I've seen these sold for elsewhere online.
See the thing with this hobby is its really cheap, especially slings, while its nice to have a big t, I like to raise slings, especially faster growing species, and slings don't take up much space at all. And there is plenty of cheap slings, alot you can find for under 20 dollars and its fun to watch them molt and double in size. And there are also a good variety of dwarf species like hapalopus sp columbia that come in 2 or 4 inch sizes which also save on space. Ts are like pokemon, you get a collection going and you want them all, lol.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
When I got my first Ts back in January I already had 2 snakes, 2 leopard geckos, and a cat. Four months later and I now have 7 tarantulas. Would've been 8 but one of my little A. geroldi had a bad molt and didn't make it :bigtears:
It really is a very addictive hobby. Especially if you enjoy setting up the enclosures.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Question. My T is less active today than yesterday, and her abdomen is losing hair. Is she in premolt or is this due to stresses from being shipped and put in a new home?
They can behave oddly, best thing to do is not over think, I used to get paranoid when I was getting started. It's only just settling into the new enclosure, it needs time and the less disturbances the better.

All that really matters is keeping it in the right conditions, everything else is out of our control. They all have a personality, some individual tendencies won't be present with others. The spider knows what it's up to, so it's not something that can always be explained.

What's cool about Ts is they are good at taking care of themselves, and have been doing so for millions of years. Enjoy your new beauty, and don't even worry about it. ;)

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So I bought my first T finally. All input appreciated.
They eat insects, not unwanted psychic presences in the Infinity Circuit.

They can teleport, but through realspace, not the warp. Not even the webway.

You can't genetically graft spinefists on them. Forget it.

Srsly tho, nice spider. Have fun with it. And ditto to everyone saying these guys can be addictive.