So I bought my first T finally. All input appreciated.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
I was fully expecting to get an arboreal. Still would love an arboreal someday, but what I bought was in fact a terrestrial burrower. I will fully admit, it was a bit of an impulse buy. Have not actually received it yet, should be here sometime tomorrow morning. It's a 4 inch female Pterinopelma sazimai that hadn't been listed for sale yet. I'm not sure how large they get, some places say 3-4 inches and others say over 5. I am a little nervous as I never thought to ask how old she is, but excited for her regardless. I requested actual photos of her as well which are below. Nothing stood out to me, it appeared to be healthy but if anyone sees anything concerning let me know. He said she's a little skittish, prone to kicking hairs, but usually just retreats to her cork bark hide.

So, I'd like to see if I have the care down pretty well for this species. The information on this one isn't quite as readily available but I've absorbed as much as I can. I've read up on it here, and some other places, and Tom Moran has some videos on it.

Substrate: About five inches. I was just going to use coco fiber. I see a lot of people use that. If I should do a mixture let me know.
Humidity: Overflow the water dish a little every week or two? That part I would like advice on.
Temperature: Not a concern for me. Always within tolerable levels.
Enclosure: I'm going to buy some kind of container and drill holes along the sides and maybe a few on top. I will look tonight at work, and maybe tomorrow at Home Depot and Lowes. Already looked once so I have some idea of what might work. Sterilite, Rubbermaid and some other brands had good ones. I will show you what I've got when I get it.
Hide: Might get some cork bark or PVC tube and partially bury it. Will probably get some silk plants as well.

Here she is. This photo is several weeks old, no flash. IMG_0261.JPG

This photo is from one week ago with flash on.
IMG_0322.JPG

Last edited:

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Cant comment on the care of the T.You state you have spoken with some very smart T folks.
That's a great thing.
But if i can put one word in your head,it would be.....Walmart.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
Cant comment on the care of the T.You state you have spoken with some very smart T folks.
That's a great thing.
But if i can put one word in your head,it would be.....Walmart.
Walmart?

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Ya,Walmart.Cheaper than Home Depot/Lowes.Go to the housewares dept.Specifically,storage and kitchen.
Walk up and down the isles.Youll be amazed at what makes great T enclosures.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'm currently raising two slings. They are about 1 inch now.. I got them at about half inch.. They have each molted twice in my care. They are skittish and remind me alot Lasiodora species.. Mine dig but don't attempt to burrow instead just making mounds of dirt here and there.

My temps are 76-80 and my humidity is about 80% because of the room they are in. As of now they are on moist sub but as they get larger I've been told to keep them on barely moist sub..

For adults from what I'm told they appreciate barely moist substrate and a hide much like Lasiodora.. My slings are always visible I don't imagine that would change much once they are adults..

Last edited:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Killer first tarantula. Still looking for a female. I had purchased a pair about a month ago. I didn't want the male, but was willing to buy him to secure her. Well she up and died 3 days before I showed up to pick them up. I was pretty bummed until the seller up and substituted a big female M balfouri in lieu of the pair.
You know you can't just own one, what's the next one going to be?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I don't have a lot of experience with this species. My girl is 3.5", and I've had her since 1.5". They certainly appreciate it a bit humid. They'll burrow like mad as slings and young juvies, but they completely stop around the 3" mark. At that point, house them like a typical NW terrestrial with perhaps a bit more substrate. My girl is still excavating, but she's a far cry from what I'd call a burrower.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
@14pokies , @EulersK
Are right on the money. I have raised 7 slings to @3.5-4" and all have been the same as stated. first 3 were all males :banghead::banghead:. Out of the second set of 4 looks like 2 each. Finally a female :happy:

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I just got a female of the species Saturday after reading many threads here and looking up info for the past couple of weeks.
Everything said by @14pokies and @EulersK matches with everything I've read.
So far mine has taken well to the makeshift hide I made for her out of cork flat. No burrowing or bulldozing just yet.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have two slings. One is growing much faster than the other, despite being offered the same amount of food and living 3 inches apart. So far, they seem rather reclusive and only come out in the dark. However, this may just be sling behavior that has no bearing on what the adults will be like. I just keep them on Eco Earth with a hide and small water dish.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
Killer first tarantula. Still looking for a female. I had purchased a pair about a month ago. I didn't want the male, but was willing to buy him to secure her. Well she up and died 3 days before I showed up to pick them up. I was pretty bummed until the seller up and substituted a big female M balfouri in lieu of the pair.
You know you can't just own one, what's the next one going to be?
Im not sure, but Avics and Taps both really interest me. Some of the dwarf species sound good. LP too.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
i Don't personally own this species, but i have a Close buddy who has two He just confirmed as Females this week and i shot him a quick Message asking about basic info and he said this:

"Pretty easy to keep, basically everything you'd do for big Pink(my L. Parahybana)
Give her 5in+ of Sub, Coco with maybe a little Moss on top for looks with some fake plants (or real ones, if you have some air plants or some low humidy/low maintenance, like some pathos maybe?) they don't seem to care either way.

give em a good hide, Cork Rounds if you have em, or even some more plastic plant pots cut in half and keep them pretty well buried.
they don't burrow too much, but they like to think they are mini-tonk trucks and will move a hell of a lot of Sub around sometimes!

all and all pretty easy to care for, like most NW tests, just keep it pretty dry, water dish, and hide and they do fine."

i asked him about their personality/temperment and he replied with:

"As for personality, Not too bad. more skittish then defensive and will hide rather then TP(threat posture) or flick at ya. great eaters, not A. Geniculate great, but regularly eat and always are responsive when food is presented.
One of mine is ALWAYS out and about, usually bulldozing away at his sub, the other likes to hide mostly, but isn't afraid to come and sit out in the open during the day(a lot more at night though!)

they don't get anywhere near as big as LP's but they get decent sized, both mine are pushing a little past 5" but i haven't gotten a good measurement since their last molts(both females FTW, literally used my whole years worth of luck on these little guys!! and to think i almost grabbed those Pulchra Juvies instead!! Ha)"

so yea, seems to be pretty simple, Keep it somewhat similar to a LP (which is turn is pretty similar to a large number of NW terrestrials) just make sure you got plenty of Sub, a Good Hide, and a water dish and you should be set.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
IMO more or less like an Acanthoscurria geniculata, which means no bone dry, no too much moisture. That lovely, bizarre half way combined with a water dish and you're fine :-s

boina

Lady of the mites
Since everyone else has already said everything relevant, I'll add just a couple of things from my experience with my one juvenile female (3.5"):

Don't overfeed. They are very good eaters, but they don't grow all that much in one molt, at least as juveniles. If you have a very fat spider before molt you'll still have a somewhat fat spider after molt... Did that and now she only gets small prey items because I do want to watch her feed on occasion.
Mine is a fantastic hunter and will sense and dig up burrowed roaches. If you want to see a tarantula patiently locating and digging up a roach - and it's fascinating to watch - put in a roach and don't crush the head.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im not sure, but Avics and Taps both really interest me. Some of the dwarf species sound good. LP too.
You want a dwarf and Avic in one? Get A. minatrix!!! It's the only Avic that keeps the abdominal tiger striping pattern into adulthood, my AF is only 3". They eat very well too.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
Ok so I got the spider. Arrived in good shape, the packaging was excellent (bought from Jabberwock Reptiles btw). Arrived earlier than expected so I was not at all prepared. Finally have the enclosure set up and her inside. Water dish, a little over 5 inches of substrate, some moss and an aquarium decoration. Overflowed the water a little bit but not a ton. Shes already webbing and grooming herself. Not sure how long I should wait to feed her? Can I do that now? Is 3-5 crickets a week enough? Should I crush their heads or no? 20170509_122745_HDR.jpg 20170509_122759_HDR.jpg 20170509_122812_HDR.jpg