Snake reccomendations

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's what I was thinking.
theyre actually pritty slender snakes.. maby like 5" diamiter tops.

one thing i like about carpets is that they make such good display snakes.. rainbows spend the majority of there day in hiding

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alright, I've got my mind set. Carpet python it is, here is the 2 questions I need answered to make my decision...

Which one gets bigger, the jungle or irian jaya(how is this pronounced btw)? Also, what is the temperment of each with frequent handling?

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
iran jaya or west paupan carpets are the smallest of all the carpet species they usually top out at 5 or 6 feet. jungles can top out about 7 feet. both are usually a little snappy as babys but with a little work most always calm down into being very handlable pythons. theyre are rediculous specimans of both species.. one thing i can tell you for sure is its worth the extra money to get a quallity snake.. you might pay extra 100 bucks from a breeder but its definatly worth it.. the anahime show is comming up in a few months.i would hold out and get one there.. that will give you the best variety to pick from.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm definately looking for a quality snake, can you point me to some good breeders that I can buy from? Or I might just wait till the San Jose Reptile Show in Novemember.

What's the largest species of carpet python?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You might want to check out www.moreliapythons.com Lots of reputable breeders there.

The largest Carpets are the Coastals/Queensland types.
Awesome thanks, I've been browsing around that site for a few hours already. The thing that sucks is you have to pay to post in the classifieds there.

Also, what is the girth of jungles, irian jaya's, and Bredli's? I know carpet pythons aren't the biggest snakes, but I want an idea, I have yet to find a picture that shows me.

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the two that get the girthyest are the coastals and bredli. jungles stay a little more slender typicaly along witht eh irian jayas... they are all awsome snakes its realy just about your taste... personaly i want to own them all.. theres a couple locals that arnt even available in the us yet.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She looks kind of... faded. If you know what I mean. Do you think her colors will get more vibrant? Sorry, I hate to be picky, but if I don't get a snake with girth on it, I want a great colored one.

What's the price range on the bredli's?

And, I think I'm gonna get some kind of carpet python, unless someone can name a snake that gets no more then 10'-11' and has a nice girth on it. (I know the red tail fits this perfectly, but any other snakes?)

What about blood pythons? I was thinking of possibly getting this..
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=7&de=590511

Last edited:

dovii88

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
go with a coastal carpet.semi- aggresive but handelable..easy to breed..gorgeous markings..or a venezulian red tail.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Blood Pythons are cool snakes, but their husbandry is a little different than a Carpet Python......they're alot short, stouter snakes and will need more floor space than a Carpet will. They also have more specific temperature and humidity requirements.....they are very susceptible to respiratory infections, whereas Carpets are all-but-immune to them.

You can occasionally find cheap Bloods, but they are almost always imprts that may or may not be picky feeders. Most of the imported Bloods I've had experience with were finickey feeders.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Blood Pythons are cool snakes, but their husbandry is a little different than a Carpet Python......they're alot short, stouter snakes and will need more floor space than a Carpet will. They also have more specific temperature and humidity requirements.....they are very susceptible to respiratory infections, whereas Carpets are all-but-immune to them.

You can occasionally find cheap Bloods, but they are almost always imprts that may or may not be picky feeders. Most of the imported Bloods I've had experience with were finickey feeders.
Hm, I think I'd be able to handle it, what makes them so susceptible to respiratory infections?

Also, should I just shell out the extra cash for a more pricey one rather then to risk buying imports?

Also, can you point me out to a GOOD caresheet for bloods. I've been looking for the past hour and a half, and nothing. :wall:

Or should I just stick with a jungle or irian jaya carpet python? I really want both a blood and carpet, but as I already have 2 future big lizards and a ball python I don't want to go to the point where I'd neglect any of them.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am a bit biased towards Morelia, so I would go that route if I could only choose one.

But if you are intent on a Blood, check out the care links at www.proexotics.com and www.vpi.com very good sources of info. Also, a guy that lives in my city breeds high quality Bloods and has some of the best stock I;ve ever seen....check out his website at www.redpython.net

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think I may just got with the jungle or irian jaya for now. Thanks alot dave.

I just want to find a vibrant colored one, a female if possible. How can you tell they're going to be vibrant when older looking at a young specimen? Or is there no way to tell?

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The easiest way to tell is to see what the parents look like. High-quality parents=high quality offspring.

Anthony Caponetto has some stellar carpets for sale right now...check him out www.acreptiles.com

Cjacques

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As far as the blood python you linked to and the price. That is a normal price for a C.B. Blood at wholesale. Nothing unusual there. And as to refute the early post there is NO WAY BRBs get to be 20 + inches in girth. If some has such a specimen I would suspect massive and neglectful over feeding.
Carpets aren't a bad choice either. Though I am not a huge fan of the color on them. It always seems a little dull to me (then again I keep ETBs and everything seems dull compared LOL). Differant strokes for differant folks.

On a related note it is admirable to see you doing as much looking and reading before settling upon a species. Dont rush into anything, and any online breeder that you are going to deal with should be run through the BOI on Faunaclassifieds.com before buying from (search both company name and your contacts name, if nothing shows up post an inquery)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alright so I'm DEFINATELY going with a jungle carpet python. What size cage(in dimensions not gallons) can an adult female carpet live in comfortably?

Also, I'm going to wait for the reptile show in november to buy the snake so how can I make sure I good colored one? Does a good looking baby mean a good looking adult? Should I ask for adult pictures? Etc...

Any other info is good, thanks.

Last edited:

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A cage that is roughly 36x 24x24 would be perfect....you can go bigger but its not necessary.

Baby carpets are typically ugly....they go through a big color change, so you can't go by what they look like as neoates. Seeing the parents is the biggest way to know how they will turn out.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A cage that is roughly 36x 24x24 would be perfect....you can go bigger but its not necessary.

Baby carpets are typically ugly....they go through a big color change, so you can't go by what they look like as neoates. Seeing the parents is the biggest way to know how they will turn out.
Awesome I was actually thinking that I may need a bigger one, but I'm glad I was wrong because I'm already gonna have 2 big cages for my lizards. Would it be better to get a taller cage then wider, or does it really matter?

So does that mean a really vibrant baby can turn dull?