smart ass answers to dumb questions...

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
After anyone finds out I have pet tarantulas, the next thing I hear is, "Do you have any with you?" After being hit about 50 times with that much stupidity, I have started answering, "Oh, yeah, hang on just a minute...." and digging in my pockets. Some back up, some come closer, but ready to run. People. *shakes head sadly*
Actually, I usually do have a molt or two with me. They always ask if it is dead. I say "Not exactly..." Most people have run away by then.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I get the question often. First thing I say is, "..they aren't pets to me." I think that's what allot of people that don't get it, don't think past. They are just things to observe/watch to me. I just have a sense of wonder about this stuff. Funny though because I can understand why other people like THEIR hobby no matter what it is. I really like watching "behavior", you know, why is it doing this or that? What for....? Why do anything other than eat, sleep and go to work. I'm just real curious, I like to find new things and try to figure stuff out. I remember taking a class and student said something like, "I think this is boring.." The professor said, "I think what you are really saying is that YOU are boring. Ha, kind of rude but I'll never forget that.

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the first question I hear (in my class room) is, "is it real?" and then i hear why do you keep Tarantulas. To the first question I never realy answer, I just reach in and pull out the Tarantula that just so happens to be visiting my classroom that day. For the second question I usually answer "to keep the bad kids out of the classrom." They usually laugh and continue with the flood of questions.{D {D {D {D {D Works for me get to keep my awsome pets and educate others about them...:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just tell people because I think they're fuzzy and cute, and a lot more interesting than a fish.

gskeney

Arachnopeon
I have run into this forever. And not just for Ts. My answer usually depends on the way the person asks the question..... and my reaction to it at the time. If the question is asked in a sincere manner, I usually say something like...." I enjoy being able to keep and study animals that are truly from the the Lost World. Its almost like having access to living fossils...... and they are unusually interesting". On the other hand, if the quesion is asked in a patronizing or rude manner, I'll say something like: " oh....I just got tired of having to go to the ER everytime I got bitten by my pet Black Mamba, so I wanted something a lot safer." And I'm good at keeping a straight face.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... My brother' s friends came over to my house one time and saw one of my snakes and she went "What happened to the traditional pets like dogs?" ...
Without missing a heartbeat: "The snake ate it." :D :D

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have had people ask the "why?!?!?" question. I just coax them into my room, show them my T. blondi, watch them squeel and back peddle and hyper speed, and say " Thats why! Same reaction everytime and it never gets old!" {D

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is insane how many people ask if I keep them in the same cage, or what would happen if I put them all in the same cage.
Happened again yesterday. :eek:

seriously, does anyone else get that a lot?

mitchell123

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Happened again yesterday. :eek:

seriously, does anyone else get that a lot?
Omg... the question can you keep them in the same cage omfg , the same people with that same F****** question..every time...:(

sry for my language.

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I just say that "I just enjoy growing them, they are alot more interesting than flowers". Then I show them a series of 1 spiders moults. Its suprising how interested the uninterested get, even if they are scared.

B

babylon5girl

"Why do u have a tarantula" answers

When someone asks me why I have a T I always say "Because my horde of evil minions are on vacation":D

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
'...because i take the drow thing very seriously!'

not many people get it, but those who do usually laugh, and that's a good start.

B

babylon5girl

I'm a sci-fi nut/Trekkie and I also say that I have a T because "my tribbles became grossly overpopulated":D andI agree with Alice, most of the time they don't get it, but when they do it's priceless

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Q - "Aren't they deadly?"

A - "Not all of them, just this one right here."