smart ass answers to dumb questions...

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"because my little siblings bug me sooooooo much!"

If they really wanna be sarcastic and you don't like em, tell them your Rosie is one of the deadliest spiders alive, then take her out of the enclosure. Mwhaha.
Dude, that's great!

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I almost never get those kind of sarcastic questions. Usually it is "You have what?" *blink blink* "Really?" followed by genuine interested questions. I just have to be careful not to launch into long boring explanations, you know they are on information overload when their eyes glaze over.

The one incident that stands out in my mind is a bit of role reversal. Apparently I am a very plain vanilla looking type person. One day I was in Petco picking up crickets with my two youngest children in tow. We were looking at the frogs while waiting for someone to help us when this twentysomething couple came over to look at the snakes. The girl had dyed hair and piercings (nothing wrong with that, but this individual was a twit) and kept glancing at me and started making a great point of talking about the snakes. It was a blatant attempt to get a rise out of me since she seemed to be going for the outrageous, I think she was trying to shock me or something. (My 9 yr old has a snake, I love snakes) Anyway, she was being intentionally obnoxious and getting on my nerves, so we went around to the other side of the display.
And there was this big fluffy rosehair, so we had the guy getting the crickets open the tank so I could get a look. I had been looking for a female. Here I am with this pretty pink spider and around the corner comes the couple.
The girl took one look at me with that spider and tripped out.
She gasped, uttered a few curses, mumbled something about eightlegged freaks and kept pacing back around the corner trying to get her boyfriend to come with her and get as far from that spider as she could.
The boyfriend, on the other hand, stood there with his mouth open for about a minute before he started asking me questions. I think if I had been young, cute and single he would have asked me out on the spot.

I love delicious irony. It was one of the few times I have taken pleasure in someone else's ignorance.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I usually answer . . .

For sarcastic people:
Why? So that I can educate ignorant people. Now shut up! Watch me feed it. Would you like to toss in your hand?

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"because the neighbor kids kept bothering me. and as everyone knows, tarantulas feed on human children after laying eggs in their lungs."

luckilly, i've never been asked. the idiots who go to my school would believe that.

Last edited:

pink'n'curly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It seems that everytime someone finds out I own T's, I always get the same question. After eewww I get " why !? "

I usually answer that dumb question with either : " 'cause dragons don't exist " or " my flying monkey project failed "

How about you ? : Insert smart ass answer here ______________________
I just tell them the truth, i got my T's coz i have a fear of spiders, i got them to cure me of my fear and it worked! i love my little guys and handle them sometimes too!
A sarcastic work mate of mine said "im scared of crocodiles, should i get one of them?"
I just replied with you wouldn't bump into a crocodile im your attic/loft! {D

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now shut up! Watch me feed it.
funny stuff

It is insane how many people ask if I keep them in the same cage, or what would happen if I put them all in the same cage.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One that i hate is "Is it defanged?" (no, because then it wouldn't be able to eat...) or "can it bite? then why are you holding it?!?"

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i kinda like "because they don't ask dumb questions".

but then I have a bad habit of launching into a long and serious explanation as to why theyre interest... it usually continues until everyone walks away.

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
" 'cause dragons don't exist "
You know I bet almost every person who has a T is the same type of person who would want a dragon.

I usually get asked why I dont just have a dog or something, since it's less dangerous lol. They tell me "Aren't you afraid of your tarantula biting you?" to which I respond, "Aren't you afraid of your dog biting you!? A dog bite can kill you, a tarantula bite isn't even as bad as a bee sting (depending on the species of course)."

That is as far as my sarcasm usually gets with the why question. Mostly I just tell people that a T's behavior is more interesting than any other pet, and there will always be something amazing about really big spiders, for me at least.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
SO True!

well i get a list, 1st its ewwwwww, then "why" and i say "cos there interesting and keep me busy" then they say "how meny you got" i say "lots" they say "do you keep them in the same tank" i say "no, cos they will eat each other" then i get "what do you feed them" i say "little children" they say "how much do they cost" i say "depends on what it is and size" they say "cool, i couldnt keep a big black spider tho" then i say "there not all black" they say "have you had the vonom taken out" i say "no" they say "that could kill you, you know that" i say "no, some are no worse than a bee sting, and theres never been a death my a tarantula bite" then they say "do you hold them" i say "no, your not suposed to hold them" they say "ahh right, i'd love to see them, hint hint" then i say "i got to be off now, bye!"

thats it, over and over again.:D
This is so true, except that when they say "I'd love to see them", I say, "Get in here and see them, aren't they cool?" I figure anyone who asks is at least interested in some way shape or form. Usually, even if they go, "gross, weird" or whatever, I can bet money they'll ask me about them again. And kids- I always try and go out of my way to let kids see them if they're interested. There's a couple of families with kids in my neighborhood and they love to come over when the T's are eating. The parents act all grossed out (ok, roach guts ARE kinda gross), but um, they come back! A couple years ago I had a huge catface spider that made a web right about my front gate and it became a neighborhood phenomenon. People would walk by and see the "Caution, spider at work" sign, stop, look, and be totally amazed by this spider. In the evening it would be out in the middle of it's big elaborate orb web that would invariably snag moths (sometimes w/ some assistance from Moi!) and put on an amazing show. I met more people through that spider. Whether they were revulsed or amazed, at least it elicited a response, discussion, and most importantly, opportunity to educate.

Diggy415

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"they are more fasinating to hang out with than you. But you could learn somethign from them...dig a tunnel and go hide!!"

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good responses

I usually get honest, sincere curiosity (after the initial jaw drop). The worst I've gotten is "What can you do with a tarantula?" My reply: "We play tag alot."

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol play tag with an OBT lol
OBT, P. irminia, who ever happens to be hungry tonight. ;) :rolleyes:

My answer: "I have a rainbow of tarantulas, they come in every color and match every outfit! I even have one that matches these awesome purple faux snake skin boots I have..."

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I normally come back with 'because parrots bite and tarantulas don't', I find them interesting and good looking, and their cages don't stink and can be left home alone unattended while on holiday :)

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I'm encountered with the question "why?" in reguards to keeping tarantulas. I respond with, "Because I love them" and alot of people respond with, "How can you love something like that?" I answer with, "Everybody is to their own and I just happen to love animals of all kinds. Especially predatory invertebrates." Then they ask, "Are they poisonous" and "What do they eat?" and then after talking awhile the person or people find themselves fascinated instead of afraid and they usually thank me for the education and sometimes bring their friends or family to discuss or see the animals I keep.

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
most the time people give us the creeped out look after we say we have tarantulas, then we get the "HUH??" after we tell them we have a pet lobster, then everyone forgets about the t's. i've heard "are you going to eat it when it gets big???" a million times which makes me want to ask them if they would eat those big goldfish they have at chinese restaurants.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
After anyone finds out I have pet tarantulas, the next thing I hear is, "Do you have any with you?" After being hit about 50 times with that much stupidity, I have started answering, "Oh, yeah, hang on just a minute...." and digging in my pockets. Some back up, some come closer, but ready to run. People. *shakes head sadly*