Shhh... I'm huntin' B. vagans.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Today, my wife and I along with one friend, are off to hunt B. vagans here in Florida :) This is going to be a rather interesting day, to say the least! I'll let everyone know what turns up when we come back!!

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Well, we found one spider on our hunt. She apparently was spooked by either the heat or the brightness, as she spazzed out and rutured herself, dying shortly thereafter.

We spent about 6 hours looking, and found holes only a few days old (if that!) with no spiders in them, shovel marks everywhere, and a local guy saying we were the sixth group of tarantula hunters this month. Apparently the area is getting over hunted... It's kind of sad. I *may* go back one more time, just to get two [live] spiders.

-Bryan

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
From what I have read, the Florida Fish and Wildlife people are less than thrilled with the establishment of B. vagans there. They want to eradicate the poor little guys. Of course Florida is over run with nativized flora and fauna from all over the world. It's their own fault for having such nice weather! :D

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sad that the spiders are hunted, but I think if they weren't, it could be worse, with wildlife officials simply trying to exterminate them.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What measures are they taking to exterminate them? FL is over run with feral animals. (excluding humans) :p

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Elizabeth said:
Sad that the spiders are hunted, but I think if they weren't, it could be worse, with wildlife officials simply trying to exterminate them.
well its not better if we exterminate 'em by hunting

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
That depends on what u mean by hunting. Collecting specimans is much better than death to all! I say if u catch a bunch, send one my way!! :D I will pay for shipping.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree we can offer a better life in captivity but I still think we should stop hunting before theres no more in the wild, breeding is much better

this said ... I cant say anything cuz I've no idea what the gouvernment is doing about these beautifull creature, where im from thers no T's and nobady talk about 'em ...

Last edited:

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
I fail to have much empathy for a non-native population..One that the Govt is intent on destroying throught the marvelous use of chemicals...Hunting a spider in peril, to keep at home as a pet, seems to me the best of both worlds for all parties concerned..
I envy you Bryan, I've wanted to get a legit FLA vagan for some time now...I all I have is something Pat sold me.....probably not even a vagan ;)
T

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did I say they were trying to exterminate them? I didn't come across right. I think if people were not hunting them, if the colonies just grew and grew, that it would get to a point where the govt would act to exterminate the B. vagans in FL. (They may have already tried once before. I can't remember this subject too well.)

Kirdec, the B. vagans are not native to FL. It wouldn't be good to hunt the B. vagans in their native habitat, especially not to extinction, but it would be better to hunt them out of FL rather than face the possibility that they would simply be killed, eradicated like pests, which is how they are viewed there, since they are non-native. (Not that I side with that view, but I think that is the politics there.)

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As much as I love animals i have to agree that feral ones should be eradicated. Look at what the cats have done to Australia. Feral animals will eliminate native species.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the Smithi is almost exterminated cuz of hunting, thats why I was saying that, sorry its late and im sick soo I get on my nerv pretty fast

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
I havent seen anything definatively identifying wild collecting as a serious threat to wild populations...sure we can speculate about rosea's etc..but brachypelma smithi wasn't placed on CITES due to any kinda serious scientific evidence..I think the rest of the brachy's were added to make USFWS job easier...Many come from other countries than Mexico....
So in short if a species is that close to 'extinction' that a bunch of guys with shovels threaten them, then they are better off in captivity...I am sure the people of India give two xxxx'x about the pokies they have....
T

Last edited:

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
the Smithi is almost exterminated cuz of hunting, thats why I was saying that, sorry its late and im sick soo I get on my nerv pretty fast
Not true...speculative at best....point me out some population studies..Mere export 'estimations' won't cut it......From all accounts of some spider people I know who went to the apaulpulco area, they saw alot of smithi males wandering...In Puerto Vallarta I saw a pair of Klaasi (also CITES) in a case. Upon inquiry the guy said 'oh yes, there are many many on the farms near here. People fear them and kill them'....Great thing eh? We cant even import a limited # to serious enthusiasts but Juan Smith can hack em up at every chance he gets.... :rolleyes:

T

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
BlkCat said:
As much as I love animals i have to agree that feral ones should be eradicated. Look at what the cats have done to Australia. Feral animals will eliminate native species.
The one thing I find amusing, is that man is somehow not part of nature, that his actions (like cane toads or feral cats) are not basically part of nature....Also that efforts must be made to keep the status quo, like nature has ever really stood still and existed in a frozen state.....
T

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was rooting for the B.Vagans. I think it's awesome that they managed to survive out there for as long as they have. That sucks that they are going to try to kill them all off. I understand they what they are trying to do, but I cant help feel bad. :eek:

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
ShaunHolder said:
I was rooting for the B.Vagans. I think it's awesome that they managed to survive out there for as long as they have. That sucks that they are going to try to kill them all off. I understand they what they are trying to do, but I cant help feel bad. :eek:
I dont think they are currently involved in eradication...Spider Bob talked about it one year in Carlsbad, along with GB edwards....If I remember right they had to spray the land up to a point, and stop. Either because the rest was private property or some sort of refuge, the spiders lucked out. Perhaps the chemicals didnt work as intended...
T
Bryan, I reallllllly would love a female....reallllllllly

Pandora®©™

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You learn something new everyday, I live in FL and I didn't know we had T's living in the wild here, although with as many bugs as I've seen since moving here I don't doupt it. Least there is plenty of food for them out there. Maybe I'll find one some time :)

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I recall reading somewhere that a colony of B. vagans was eradicated from Florida. I know the officials will exterminate them and it has been done before.