Shhh... I'm huntin' B. vagans.

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well i think that whenever they diside to exterminade some tarantula group they should let us know ahead of time and maby "hire" some of us to help out with "getting rid" of them. and i'm sure we would grab as many of those unwanted pesky critters and carry them off. and we'd most likely do it for "free", only payment would be to keep what we found.

dianne

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mouse said:
well i think that whenever they diside to exterminade some tarantula group they should let us know ahead of time and maby "hire" some of us to help out with "getting rid" of them. and i'm sure we would grab as many of those unwanted pesky critters and carry them off. and we'd most likely do it for "free", only payment would be to keep what we found.

dianne
Sign me up. U may have to teach me how to hunt for them. But I am willing!! {D :D
Let me get my sunglasses.... :cool:
Alright lets go!!!

iluvspydrz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have a question i currently have two slings, one b. albopilosum, and one b. vagans... the albop is about a half an inch and i have him in a larger pill bottle. the substrate is potting soil. i've been using a dime to put drops of water on for him, this seems to work fine, except the humidity is high in the pill bottle cause sometimes the water goes over onto the substrate and i think the humidity is too high, yesterday i tried to feed him and he didnt eat he just pulled the cricket onto his water "dish" and left it there... i'm gona change the substrate today. does anyone have any ideas on a better water source for a sling under an inch? :? :wall: :confused:

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
as far as i know (i could be wrong) is that you can do without waterdish untill they are about 2". untill then just mist the side of the tank.
i use a eye-dropper type thing (well it's a spare that came with the baby care set for meds) and drip water on the side of the vial or in a corner of the container they are in (well mostly pepper shakers, and a few of those small oval bug boxes from the dollar tree[they work great for 1"ers])

dianne

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
I agree we can offer a better life in captivity but I still think we should stop hunting before theres no more in the wild, breeding is much better

this said ... I cant say anything cuz I've no idea what the gouvernment is doing about these beautifull creature, where im from thers no T's and nobady talk about 'em ...

Kirdec,
These are not native species. Brachypelma vagans does not occur naturally in Florida. The vagans in Florida are a feral population which were originally someone's pet. Collecting them does them more good then harm. There are no T's that occur naturally in Florida.
Mike

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
iluvspydrz said:
i have a question i currently have two slings, one b. albopilosum, and one b. vagans... the albop is about a half an inch and i have him in a larger pill bottle. the substrate is potting soil. i've been using a dime to put drops of water on for him, this seems to work fine, except the humidity is high in the pill bottle cause sometimes the water goes over onto the substrate and i think the humidity is too high, yesterday i tried to feed him and he didnt eat he just pulled the cricket onto his water "dish" and left it there... i'm gona change the substrate today. does anyone have any ideas on a better water source for a sling under an inch? :? :wall: :confused:
Is it possible he's getting ready to molt? You don't want to be changing the substrate at a time like that. And the water dropped on the dime is more controlled than misting, so that sounds fine. Do you have a beer cap? Would one fit in your pill bottle?

iluvspydrz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
umm... well i dont kno if i have a beer cap anywhere around the house i can check. mostly what i'm concerned about is can high humidity harm tarantulas/ slings???

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not in and of itself. However, higher humidity does increase the chance for mold, which can be bad for your s'lings. Besides, both of your s'lings are desert dwellers and prefer it on the drier side. I would let the substrate dry a bit and skip using the dime or a water dish. Every fews day, just put a couple of drops of water on the side of the vial.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
mouse said:
as far as i know (i could be wrong) is that you can do without waterdish untill they are about 2". untill then just mist the side of the tank.

dianne
I witness every week when i give water to my little ones up to an inch and a half a very interesting method for taking moisture from the soil that gives credit to the idea that small juvies don't need a water dish. Not only do mine drink the droplets from the side, but also pick up a mouth full of wet peat moss and press it against their mouths looking like they're eating it. The species i have that do this every time are Aphonopelma seemanni, Brachypelma vagans, Brachypelma albopilosum. They take in so much moisture from doing this that their abdomens nearly double in size. :eek: And i've had one B. albopilosum molt one day after soaking one side of the container and it "eating" the dirt. It must be said that i didn't feed that individual for weeks so molting was definitly triggered by the amount of water it took in that one instance. Though, I have to put in 20 oz. soda bottle caps in the winter time because the peat moss dries out within minutes with central heating.

- Lonnie

drunkinmaster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
are they still in the area?what part of florida are they located?
If there still here in wild pop's?