Scorpion Store Plan for New Orleans-French Quarter, input wanted

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Alright! , I'm hoping to open in 1 or 2 years. I think I will be funded or very close to it in one year. Then, I'm gonna need your stock! If things continue to look up, and funding starts coming in and looking good, I will be putting up more info on my needs and desires. I will need lots of suppliers of slings. Keep your eyes on the boards as time goes on.... :)

plo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You have mentioned a few times that the mask may carry the store, what percentage of the store space will go to the mask ? Maybe you can incorperate them together, with mask in some of the cages. Will you make the mask available on line as well ? I feel it would be best to put more focus on the mask, if they are what will make this work. It's like a job, we don't all love our jobs, but they pay the way for what we do enjoy. I think this can work, and I wish you all the success

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You have mentioned a few times that the mask may carry the store, what percentage of the store space will go to the mask ? Maybe you can incorperate them together, with mask in some of the cages. Will you make the mask available on line as well ? I feel it would be best to put more focus on the mask, if they are what will make this work. It's like a job, we don't all love our jobs, but they pay the way for what we do enjoy. I think this can work, and I wish you all the success
Thank you. That is a possibility, though they won't be in the cages! Well, maybe one or two. hehe. I have had more than one person suggest the same thing. Paige wants to open a Mask store, and just have a wall of scorpions on display. This is a great idea, and financially, probably the best one. However, it runs counter to my future plans for the masks! I can't keep up with demand now, and thats just in my circle of friends. Once I get international dealer contacts, I'm not going to be able to keep any in stock! I plan on having dealers in London, Berlin, Tokyo, and Shanghai. And eventually, I want to open stand alone stores in Venice, Rio, and New Orleans. For any masks I do have on stock, they take very little room. My current plan is to have them behind the counter. They only need 4"-6" depth and their dimensions on the wall. So they don't need a lot of space. Seeing as how they are made, this isn't a volume business. I can only make 4-10 masks a week, depending on size, etc. Most of them will ship overseas when done.. On top of that, there are already mask stores in New Orleans which would happily carry my stock, allowing me to focus on what I want to do!

btw, when business is slow, I can do most of the Mask making process in the store! So I will be making money whether or not someone comes in for scorps or t-shirts! :)

Oh, yes, masks are available online as well, if I can keep them in stock! :D

btw, I know most people have to do a job that's just tolerable to pay for what they want to do. I respect that a lot. But I want my life to be different. I love making the masks, and I love scorpions. And between the two, I think this is going to work! {D

plo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sounds like a great plan to me. I'm sure you have already thought of this, but you could train one or two people to make mask the way you want and oversee their work, that frees up more of your time to allow you to breed what you want to focus on, and get suppliers for the rest. i admire you for putting effort into attaining your goals/dreams

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds like a great plan to me. I'm sure you have already thought of this, but you could train one or two people to make mask the way you want and oversee their work, that frees up more of your time to allow you to breed what you want to focus on, and get suppliers for the rest. i admire you for putting effort into attaining your goals/dreams
Thanks! That is a good idea as well. Once I settle in, I am hoping to start apprenticeships for people with few options due to family finances etc. There are a ton of good kids running around Nola getting in trouble because they got a junk education, or have a hard family life. I want to help others. And I figure, what better way than giving someone a skill/job that they have no way to do themselves? It's in the cards. But I need to play them right to get to that point. And anyway, they couldn't replace me or my masks, but maybe fill a lower cost option for those that can't afford mine. They can still make a living, and improve over time. But I will be the Master Mask Maker. I will not stop making them even with apprentices. But maybe just focus on the biggest and wildest ones! :)

*edit* I may look for apprentice on here. It would be much better for me to have someone into scorpions around. I think there are probably a hobbyist or two that could use a good job too. But this is years away. So no one should get excited, or volunteer themselves just yet. But I have thought of this. But It's going to be a long time. And I don't want anyone kissing my metasoma because they think a job is around the corner either. No metasoma kissing. I don't like that! :)

Last edited:

BelfastScorpion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That would also be a dream job for me. Don't think I would be able to do it though!

Good luck to you. Hope it becomes reality.

If you ever open a branch in Belfast, Northern Ireland in the UK, give me a shout!:D

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That would also be a dream job for me. Don't think I would be able to do it though!

Good luck to you. Hope it becomes reality.

If you ever open a branch in Belfast, Northern Ireland in the UK, give me a shout!:D
Thanks! Well, if I open a Belfast branch, I won't be able to run it unless I get one of the old concords for my commute, so maybe you can have your dream job! Seriously though, I don't know if I would do Belfast, just a wee bit tiny. I think Houston is 5x the population of all of N.I.! But If things get rolling, I guess my London mask store could turn into my Euro zone scorpion store that could have some masks too. Could I get you to visit London or Berlin for an awesome scorpion store? :)

I know it's N.I. btw, I've been reading about the "troubles" my whole life, as I have both British and Irish Blood. I've traveled about Britain. I'm a whole lot of English inside. I still put malt vinegar on my french fries, and I have a very dry sense of humor! :D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are many more ports than that. Unless it changed in the last 2 weeks!
New Orleans is a port of entry for animal imports! It's perfect really. :)
have you really started researching importing? i am pretty sure there really are only three ports you can have your animals shipped to. you either need to get them at the port of have them reshipped to you.

i mean, it has been a couple years since i researched this but i doubt they have totally easified the process. if they have changed it thenthat is good news for a lot of ppl

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
have you really started researching importing? i am pretty sure there really are only three ports you can have your animals shipped to. you either need to get them at the port of have them reshipped to you.

i mean, it has been a couple years since i researched this but i doubt they have totally easified the process. if they have changed it thenthat is good news for a lot of ppl
there's a lot more than 2. And yes, I was on their website 2 weeks ago, I just woke, but I can get a link later. Nola is a port. I read it with my own eyes, just two weeks ago. There are also exception permits which sound easy to get, but NOLA IS A PORT for wild animal importation. I didn't look into customs info yet, because when I first started looking, I wasn't thinking too much about being a store.. But animals, NOLA, YES!