Scorpion Store Plan for New Orleans-French Quarter, input wanted

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do OTC transactions anyway. any bit of extra you can bring in would be good.
That's the plan, but I have to see how much that will cost. If it makes it financially unrealistic, then I have to just do private sales by appointment and online. I don't really plan on having that many walk in sales of scorpions anyway. For out of towners and breeders though, at very least, I would have price list available, with that night delivery available. I can also close the doors and have private sales I believe. But we'll see. I don't think for one second that the idea relies on otc sales though. But that is the goal. I want to be able to sell most species, even the 3's and 4's, to sober adults. But I also want to stay afloat. And if it's going to cost me an extra $4000 a month to be able to legally do that, you're just going to have to let me lock up or come have coffee at my house to pick up yours! {D

I still think this is perfect. If I could do this and masks, and pay my rent, and get a couple of trips here and there, I would be happy as could be...
I think this is extremely doable. And I could help quite a few people in the hobby. The display case makers, for my needs and I could sell them. Jewelry makers, roach breeders, scorpion breeders... Heck, if it goes half as well as I think it will, I could have a couple of breeders working full time. And if I can provide the incentive to breed, then maybe we can up the state of our hobby. And if I do it right, and have enough displays with adults, I think I could retail slings better than any retail out there right now. With my knowledge (still limited, but good enough and high end for retail) I think I could sell slings. That way, we don't have to breed and raise and try and compete with wild caught on price after all that. Breeders can produce slings and then breed again....

Just a lot of thoughts. I'm too excited. But now I need to make some masks and get going in that direction... {D

Sithis

Arachnopeon
lol, I would love to see it. Someday I could breed pygmy rattlers. But that isn't in the cards for a good long time I think. How many species does he keep? Does he have any Mojave? Apparently, they live down in the Big Bend. That's what I'm scared of most when I go there. Mojave's can put down a healthy adult horse in an hour. I'm going to run into one or more sooner than later. And it's a bit much for me. I don't even have boots. :eek:
I think about 17 species. Be careful man they are evasive but if you startle one they wont hesitate to tag you. They dont always rattle when theyre going to strike. Get some snake proof boots. You dont want to get bitten out there it would be a death sentence.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like a good idea. I would go just to see the store. You could also do something for people that are from out of town, where they walk in and see a particular scorp they like, you set it aside and when they get home and send money (paypal, credit, or whatever) you ship them that same scorp they picked out in the store.

Also if you needed scorplings, I wouldn't hesitate to send you most or all of the brood for a trade of a different species, or merchandise.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think about 17 species. Be careful man they are evasive but if you startle one they wont hesitate to tag you. They dont always rattle when theyre going to strike. Get some snake proof boots. You dont want to get bitten out there it would be a death sentence.
Yeah, I know. But I like playing with Death. Keeps life spicy. I can't afford them anyway. Plus, I wouldn't wear them. It's gonna be so stinking hot there this summer, that in an hour with snake boots and fresh socks on, would give me a case of athletes foot that wouldn't go away for months. No thanks! I'm trying to decide between my chaco sandals and my earth tennis shoes. I really want a toe, and sand will get in the sandals, but I still have thorns stuck in the bottom of my earth shoes. My feet were punctured by thorns at least 4 times. Ouch. The chacos have a way better soul, and better support if you can believe that. But those earth shoes keep my feet feeling great. They hardly ever get sore. I don't know how. There flimsy as heck. But besides the cacti, they work. We'll see, ain't gonna have snake boots though. Heck, If I get new shoes this year, I'm getting Vibram's 5-fingers. That would be the shoe for my trips! :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds like a good idea. I would go just to see the store. You could also do something for people that are from out of town, where they walk in and see a particular scorp they like, you set it aside and when they get home and send money (paypal, credit, or whatever) you ship them that same scorp they picked out in the store.
That's a great idea. I would do that.

BeakerTheMighty

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I worked somewhere that sold hot species occasionally and when we had em, I would never sell a hot scorp without seeing some ID unless they were beyond any doubt over 18 (kind of like the cigarette sales rule). I'm not sure how the law regulates it, but it could probably open you up to a law suit. I'd always make sure someone buying a hot scorpion was familiar with it, and understood that it was dangerously venomous. Also if you are running a Sole proprietorship (i.e. it's not a partnership and you are not incorporating,), which it sounds like this business would be you bear sole responsibility for anything and everything. Someone gets stung cause they are being an idiot, or maybe a scorpion gets out one day, if they sue you, they can not only take assets from the store, but from YOU, like your house, car, etc. Happens to people, so make sure to protect yourself on that end.

I think it's an awesome concept, but honestly I wouldn't ever try it myself for pretty much one simple reason. Theres not money to be made in scorpions for the most part, at least nothing significant, probably not enough to keep a store open. I worked for a very popular internet/retail store for a couple years that carried probably in the range of 20 or so species of scorpion at different times, and they did sell, but they rarely sell for much over $20 or so. Then you have to think about How often someone purchases. There are a few die hard collectors that may buy scorpions every couple weeks, but not nearly at the frequency tarantula collectors do. The highest price you usually see asked for a scorpion is about $80 and that is for very rare/first time import species, the uncommmon ones still go for less, like $45. The other thing is that, in my experience and from what I've heard from other vendors, generally the common stuff (Hadrurus, Pandinus) are gonna sell, but those usually sell at $10 to $15 and even at that price it can take time to sell a lot of them (sometimes months). High priced stuff ($50 and up) can take a LONG time to sell for scorpions, many months sometimes (which you would be paying for property, electricity, liability insurance). I honestly don't think any retail only-scorpion store could succeed anywhere in the United States, now or in the near future. The thing to look at is: even in online stores where you are not paying thousands of dollars monthly (which owning a retail store would almost certainly entail), do you see any very succesfull vendors that sell ONLY scorpions? Pretty much the only dollar volume that would probably keep a invert dealer able to pay the bills would come primarily from their tarantula stock, an animal that sells much quicker, and ones that people sometimes pay several hundred dollars for a rare species, instead of less than $100 for the rarest first time import.
The other thing I found out working with the public in that store is that most people, even the ones that like reptiles, but ESPECIALLY just average person walking from the street, either dislike or don't care about scorpions enough to own let alone buy one. A way to look at it is that you are paying a decent amount of money for a business property monthly (unless you plan on buying it outright with no loan), then the cost of keeping the lights on, insurance, alarm service, just essential business costs. Basically the longer you have an animal, the more it has cost you, cause you have to account for the cost of keeping the store open, so if you end up sitting on an animal for several months, you may actually end up spending more money than you're going to make from it. People usually just consider the cost of a couple crickets weekly for their scorps, but if the scorpions are your only source of income, you have to take into account how much that scorpion is costing you based on how much you are paying for everything required to sell it (in your plan, the store and everything it entails). IMO the percentage of the general public in any single town- or county for that matter- with an interest in keeping scorpions and the frequency and amount of money they are willing to pay for a scorpion would not keep a store selling only that open. That and if people keep tarantulas, which A LOT of scorpion keepers do, you'll probably lose their scorpion business to online tarantula vendors they already deal with. I think it's a rad idea, and honestly I'd probably give a good drive if I was in that area to see a scorpion-only store. I just don't think there are enough of us. I don't think someone running a serious online setup would do well selling nothing but scorpions online, and that , I think, has an advantage because A)they can have a national customer base instead of local b) it doesn't entail the cost of paying for a store and the many costs that are entailed renting/owning one.

Just my two cents. It's an cool idea and probably the dream of most die hard scorpion fans, but how many people have succeeded even selling just scorpions online? Any scorpion guys I know that went into the invert business end up mostly selling tarantulas, and even that is a kind of smaller niche industry that already has a pretty good number of vendors almost all of which are online... Just based on how much it would cost, you would have to sell a LOT of cheap scorpions monthly, or a good number of expensive ones, and I honestly just don't think there is the demand for em right now.

Last edited:

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I suggest your online site having tutorials on how to set up eye-catching terrariums with heavy pics of those setups. Those keep me hooked on scorpions while I'm searching for a new species to buy. I'm always thinking of ways to make the perfect habitat or dream enclosure for my scorps. The display tanks for the shop is a good idea, I'd have some variability in that such as a tropical enclosure and an arid one. Put a lot of work into those (I know you will) display tanks because that will keep regulars coming back. A communal setup would be sick! I know I only go back to this one pet shop to check out their wicked aquariums (well planted tank with awesome decor). I think one of the board members mentioned this, but it'd be nice to have a few setup packages being sold such as an empty enclosure filled with a bag of coco fiber, gravel, driftwood, tongs, bark chips- all the necessaries for a beginner to start things up.

Sarcastro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1. I don't have to sell anything I don't want to! It will be my store! No deads. None. And the tourists will be lucky to get to see my displays. It's more of a service than anything. I can sell a decent amount of shirts and jewelry. But I'm not going to be relying on merchandising sales, or even in store sales. Mask sales and online sales will be the bulk of my income. The retail is mostly just advertising.

2. Did i mention the French Quarter? Could you think of a better location? You can walk anywhere in the quarter, and I would advertise in local guides.

3. Fine, no hots in the store. I can hand out my card, and I can sell them online, or in my home by appointment only.

4. See 3 above.

5. I'm just doing scorpions. Hope you still come. I'll make sure and get some cots. :D
On point 1. I didn't mean any offence, I was speaking from a business point of view.If you use alot of advertising and marketing on-line sales you'll probably make a killing and help the U.S.trade if you do alot of in-house breeding of the more hard to come-by sp. Especially if your the only provider of that sp.

2.thats alot of cash to fork out for the French Q?
3. Business cards and appointments are a really good idea + online sales
4. make the purchaser sign a waiver that should cover the insurance for the hot's
5. I'll still come to check it out especially if you got sp. that I want..like I said I may just start living in the back

You just revitalize my wanting to open an invert store here in Ohio

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I feel what beakerthemighty said was a realistic, insightful point of view. You never know but I just don't think the demand is out there. You'd prob have to supplement with internet sales and offer your masks and other things in the store to make it work. But a lot of people make it by not listening to what might sound like discouragement. Maybe something to think about is cornering the market on the most popular species by breeding them, but it would take some years to get going, take emps for example, the climate would be good in N.O., at least in the Spring and Summer. It might take around 10 years to get a stock of a few thousand going from one brood, you might need a large building to do something like that, raise your own feeders of course, it'd be some work. Emps are kind of fun for me to raise, I could be headed towards being a small-time supplier of those, don't really know yet, depends if I stay interested. It's been very easy so far with raising 39 right now, very simple and I'm interested in seeing how the size thing goes. I know they are inexpensive, one reason they are popular, but many should sell since they are popular and you'd have to get an internet "emp" reputation. So volume might make it worth it. And who knows, they might stop wild collecting them at any time. Not likely though, they are making good money in that area of Africa by collecting emps. The exchange rate might change things too though, a bunch of factors. Sorry, got a little off your "scorp store" topic but I think it relates some. Maybe you could raise a few popular species in mass volume, along with having some kind of invert store. Lol, honestly sounds like a bunch of dreaming but fun to play around with the idea, it'd be great if you did it and it worked.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
his quote edited for brevity.

I would never sell a hot scorp without seeing some ID . I'd always make sure someone buying a hot scorpion understood that it was dangerously venomous. Also if you are running a Sole proprietorship (i.e. it's not a partnership and you are not incorporating,), which it sounds like this business would be you bear sole responsibility for anything and everything.

Theres not money to be made in scorpions, probably not enough to keep a store open. I worked for a very popular internet/retail store for a couple years that carried probably in the range of 20 or so species of scorpion at different times, and they did sell, but they rarely sell for much over $20 or so. I honestly don't think any retail only-scorpion store could succeed anywhere in the United States, now or in the near future. The thing to look at is: even in online stores where you are not paying thousands of dollars monthly, do you see any very succesfull vendors that sell ONLY scorpions?

The other thing I found out working with the public in that store is that most people either dislike or don't care about scorpions enough to own let alone buy one.

That and if people keep tarantulas, which A LOT of scorpion keepers do, you'll probably lose their scorpion business to online tarantula vendors they already deal with. I think it's a rad idea, and honestly I'd probably give a good drive if I was in that area to see a scorpion-only store. I just don't think there are enough of us. I don't think someone running a serious online setup would do well selling nothing but scorpions online, and that , I think, has an advantage because A)they can have a national customer base instead of local b) it doesn't entail the cost of paying for a store and the many costs that are entailed renting/owning one.

Just my two cents. It's an cool idea and probably the dream of most die hard scorpion fans, but how many people have succeeded even selling just scorpions online? Any scorpion guys I know that went into the invert business end up mostly selling tarantulas, and even that is a kind of smaller niche industry that already has a pretty good number of vendors almost all of which are online... Just based on how much it would cost, you would have to sell a LOT of cheap scorpions monthly, or a good number of expensive ones, and I honestly just don't think there is the demand for em right now.
Well Beaker, that was a doozy. You make a lot of good points. Some you made over and over, and some aren't all too much at all though. But I do appreciate your time and thoughts. You aren't the first person to say its unfeasible. But one thing people quickly learn about me, is that the "rules" don't apply. Sure, they do to some extent, but not the same. Underestimating me is never a good bet. I'm a 140 pound firecracker. :)
So in response, and in order, for the sake of debate...

I would never sell a hot scorpion in person without seeing an i.d., nor without informing the person of said toxicity. That would be irresponsible, and that is something I am not. So next..... afa Sole proprietership, yeah, that's what I would have. But I don't own anything anyway. Scorpions, black light, bike. That's it. So. next....

afa not a lot of money to be made....
Well, sure, I'm not selling happy meals through a drive through, you are correct. I am figuring, that I will need to Average selling 50-75 slings a month along with a few masks, and a few supplies, shirts.... To make ends meet. That's really doable. Especially with what I will have available. I plan on having 30+ hots. I want ten Androctonus species, ten Parabuthus sp., ten Tityus sp., 5 Hottentotta, etc... I want to have 100 species available in the store. With adult displays of at least 30-50 species. If I can't sell 50 slings a month with that kind of collection, top notch, worlds best.... Then I'm a looser that shouldn't have a store of any kind. But really, when it comes down to it, the masks will be the big money I think, the scorpions will just push me over the top. I want a scorpion store because that's what I want to do, not because it's going to make money. But it very well could as well.

afa current vendors living off scorpions,.... I don't see any making a go at it like I intend to. I don't see anyone with the kind of offerings I will have. I will have more species on my list than you've ever seen. And I will be selling online. I don't know how I couldn't succeed if I can do what I want to.

Heck, if I can get what I intend to, it will be game on. Just watch. You can doubt, you can root against me if you want. But I play to win. Just watch. And come and see someday. I'm sure you are right if you weren't talking to me. But I will be fine. The store will be rad. And I will have a better selection than anyone in the world. With the best displays. All I have to do is sell 100 scorpions, and a few other things a month, and all I will do is expand my lists. I could have hundreds of specimens available. It could be beyond amazing. Just watch. {D :D

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I suggest your online site having tutorials on how to set up eye-catching terrariums with heavy pics of those setups. Those keep me hooked on scorpions while I'm searching for a new species to buy. I'm always thinking of ways to make the perfect habitat or dream enclosure for my scorps. The display tanks for the shop is a good idea, I'd have some variability in that such as a tropical enclosure and an arid one. Put a lot of work into those (I know you will) display tanks because that will keep regulars coming back. A communal setup would be sick! I know I only go back to this one pet shop to check out their wicked aquariums (well planted tank with awesome decor). I think one of the board members mentioned this, but it'd be nice to have a few setup packages being sold such as an empty enclosure filled with a bag of coco fiber, gravel, driftwood, tongs, bark chips- all the necessaries for a beginner to start things up.
That's a great idea H.l.! I would like to do that. We'll see how much time I have though. I will be breeding at least 30 species. And have a ton of display cages to keep perfect! I have to run the store. And I have to make a dozen masks a week. If I have the time though, you can count on it! I may need someone else to step up there though. Or maybe I can find someone to do all my breeding giving me the time to focus on displays? Who knows, but that is great idea.

And yeah, the beginner packages were mentioned before, and I intend on doing that too. I will basically set up slings like I would keep them, in deli cups, ready to go. And I do little kits when I give friends scorpions. It comes all packaged in the deli cup, everything they need. It doesn't take very long, and I bet I would sell twice as many slings if I had little $3 deli cup kits! I'm sure otc it would help!

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
On point 1. I didn't mean any offence, I was speaking from a business point of view.If you use alot of advertising and marketing on-line sales you'll probably make a killing and help the U.S.trade if you do alot of in-house breeding of the more hard to come-by sp. Especially if your the only provider of that sp.

2.thats alot of cash to fork out for the French Q?
3. Business cards and appointments are a really good idea + online sales
4. make the purchaser sign a waiver that should cover the insurance for the hot's
5. I'll still come to check it out especially if you got sp. that I want..like I said I may just start living in the back

You just revitalize my wanting to open an invert store here in Ohio
No offense taken! I would have the best collection of species in the world.

Yeah, French Quarter isn't cheap. But it's perfect. I think I can get a small shop for around $1500. And I can get investors for imports of the baddest of the bad and the rarest of the rare.

I'll have all the species available in the world, and many only through me! I've got grand plans. :) Like I said before, I'll get the cot. I will eventually need help too. Maybe a breeder that will relocate? But that's still a ways off.. it's gonna be off the hook though... Best in the world. Well, maybe only one in the world... But it will be the Best! :D

I still think the masks will carry it. Heck, online masks sales may carry it.
This will be where I get my kicks though. I will collect many of the rare species myself. I want at least one or two international collecting trips a year. You can run the store while I am gone maybe! Anyway, with a license, I could collect and broker my own shipments. I could get whatever I want, minus a few countries. Whether a dealer has them or not. I can just go get them.... Think about that. I could have any specie in the world. hehe {D

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's a great idea H.l.! I would like to do that. We'll see how much time I have though. I will be breeding at least 30 species. And have a ton of display cages to keep perfect! I have to run the store. And I have to make a dozen masks a week. If I have the time though, you can count on it! I may need someone else to step up there though. Or maybe I can find someone to do all my breeding giving me the time to focus on displays? Who knows, but that is great idea.

And yeah, the beginner packages were mentioned before, and I intend on doing that too. I will basically set up slings like I would keep them, in deli cups, ready to go. And I do little kits when I give friends scorpions. It comes all packaged in the deli cup, everything they need. It doesn't take very long, and I bet I would sell twice as many slings if I had little $3 deli cup kits! I'm sure otc it would help!

You could have a Beginner, intermediate and advanced keeper setup. An example of a Beginner setup could be a Emp with a Tank, Heater, thermometer, and everything else you need for that species. It may sound stupid but some customers like "rewards" programs. But I agree on requiring ID's for "HOT" species. In fact, some Pet Stores around here require you be 18 to buy all their pets. I would also have them sign a Waiver saying basically "I know that all Scorpions possess venom and in certain rare cases, there are allergic reactions to venom. By purchasing this Animal, I know all risks involved and hold ______________ not responsible for any injury or fatality arising from my purchase". Just an idea.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I feel what beakerthemighty said was a realistic, insightful point of view. You never know but I just don't think the demand is out there. You'd prob have to supplement with internet sales and offer your masks and other things in the store to make it work. But a lot of people make it by not listening to what might sound like discouragement. Maybe something to think about is cornering the market on the most popular species by breeding them, but it would take some years to get going, take emps for example, the climate would be good in N.O., at least in the Spring and Summer. It might take around 10 years to get a stock of a few thousand going from one brood, you might need a large building to do something like that, raise your own feeders of course, it'd be some work. Emps are kind of fun for me to raise, I could be headed towards being a small-time supplier of those, don't really know yet, depends if I stay interested. It's been very easy so far with raising 39 right now, very simple and I'm interested in seeing how the size thing goes. I know they are inexpensive, one reason they are popular, but many should sell since they are popular and you'd have to get an internet "emp" reputation. So volume might make it worth it. And who knows, they might stop wild collecting them at any time. Not likely though, they are making good money in that area of Africa by collecting emps. The exchange rate might change things too though, a bunch of factors. Sorry, got a little off your "scorp store" topic but I think it relates some. Maybe you could raise a few popular species in mass volume, along with having some kind of invert store. Lol, honestly sounds like a bunch of dreaming but fun to play around with the idea, it'd be great if you did it and it worked.
Again, I don't think otc scorpions are going to pay the bills. I think they could. But if they can help at all, It will be fine. I know most will be online and masks sales should blow those numbers away.

I've never let anyone discourage me. Maybe for a fleeting moment... But I have special information that I can't give out. I know certain things and people that make this more than possible. I can.

I am going to have 20-50 species no one else does, maybe more. I will breed many of them. At some point though, and right off the bat for many species, including emps, I will ask for breeders to send me their stock. Or, if need be, or if just better from my perspective, I could provide stock to breeders for a percent of slings. What I hope to ultimately do, is set up a breeding facility, and employ some of you to help me. I have to make masks to make this work. But what a dream job. I'll find a way to make it work. Just so I can have a scorpion store. Don't worry, this is gonna be banging. Just help me think through clearly! :)

Off the bat, I want to breed All the Androctonus and Parabuthus. A few others, and the rest will have to be up to you all. If I get rolling, I'm gonna need some people to step up! :D

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You could have a Beginner, intermediate and advanced keeper setup. An example of a Beginner setup could be a Emp with a Tank, Heater, thermometer, and everything else you need for that species. It may sound stupid but some customers like "rewards" programs. But I agree on requiring ID's for "HOT" species. In fact, some Pet Stores around here require you be 18 to buy all their pets. I would also have them sign a Waiver saying basically "I know that all Scorpions possess venom and in certain rare cases, there are allergic reactions to venom. By purchasing this Animal, I know all risks involved and hold ______________ not responsible for any injury or fatality arising from my purchase". Just an idea.
Yeah, agreed. I want to have a form that you have to sign with every "hot" purchase, stating that you know it's "hot", or that it's toxicity is "unknown", and that they are responsible henceforth.... Yep. All that. I don't want to be too crazy about it though. I want it to be serious, but light hearted as well. I don't want to act like they need to plan for their funeral or anything! This should be an exciting experience!

BeakerTheMighty

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, lighten up man. You did inquire "So if you have any suggestions on how I might achieve that, by all means, share away.", I'm simply throwing out several of what I would see as the main hurdles for this. As I said, those are the reasonsI wouldn't do it. I don't think anyone is "rooting against you" here. I've been keeping scorps for more than half my life now, so I'd consider myself someone with an interest in finally having a dealer that will have the less common species. I've been waiting on a few species I figured someone would have brought in for years now lol. That aside, I don't want to sugar coat anything, and as I said, I would be concerned on the level of demand, at least from my experiences and what I've heard regarding the frequency and price range of scorpion sales. However, if you understand these and believe they don't apply or that you can make this work, then by all means, I don't think anyone here is cheering for failure on this project.
Trust me, that was meant to be cautionary and constructive, if if I truly wanted to see you fail, I don't see why I would have posted anything, and besides: if anything, the success of your venture would probably benefit me as detailed above (for the "sake of brevity" we'll assume everyone knows what I mean). As far as the insinuation that I am long winded, or that my posts are redundant, that may be your opinion and I'm sorry if it bothers you, it probably won't change in the future, but I understand if you don't want to read a long post and it's really no skin off my neck lol. I really don't see the need to criticize me or the structure of my writing, I don't edit these posts extensively so long as they are comprehensible, which seems to be the general mode of operation. I don't recall my original post as criticizing anything about you personally, simply flaws I might consider in a plan. I don't see the need for subtle slights or overtly pejorative remarks directed at me in some challenge I didn't issue

****Edit. After a cigarette and a re-read of your response, I probably came off a little stronger than I should have in that, so I apologize, and didn't mean to offend. I do feel a couple of the statements were a tad provocative, but, in the end I suppose provocative isn't necessarily bad :p. Anyways, I do want to note that I do respect how active you are on the forum and what you contribute, so please don't take it too personally (which admittedly, I kind of did)

his quote edited for brevity.

Well Beaker, that was a doozy. You make a lot of good points. Some you made over and over, and some aren't all too much at all though. But I do appreciate your time and thoughts. You aren't the first person to say its unfeasible. But one thing people quickly learn about me, is that the "rules" don't apply. Sure, they do to some extent, but not the same. Underestimating me is never a good bet. I'm a 140 pound firecracker. :)
So in response, and in order, for the sake of debate...

I would never sell a hot scorpion in person without seeing an i.d., nor without informing the person of said toxicity. That would be irresponsible, and that is something I am not. So next..... afa Sole proprietership, yeah, that's what I would have. But I don't own anything anyway. Scorpions, black light, bike. That's it. So. next....

afa not a lot of money to be made....
Well, sure, I'm not selling happy meals through a drive through, you are correct. I am figuring, that I will need to Average selling 50-75 slings a month along with a few masks, and a few supplies, shirts.... To make ends meet. That's really doable. Especially with what I will have available. I plan on having 30+ hots. I want ten Androctonus species, ten Parabuthus sp., ten Tityus sp., 5 Hottentotta, etc... I want to have 100 species available in the store. With adult displays of at least 30-50 species. If I can't sell 50 slings a month with that kind of collection, top notch, worlds best.... Then I'm a looser that shouldn't have a store of any kind. But really, when it comes down to it, the masks will be the big money I think, the scorpions will just push me over the top. I want a scorpion store because that's what I want to do, not because it's going to make money. But it very well could as well.

afa current vendors living off scorpions,.... I don't see any making a go at it like I intend to. I don't see anyone with the kind of offerings I will have. I will have more species on my list than you've ever seen. And I will be selling online. I don't know how I couldn't succeed if I can do what I want to.

Heck, if I can get what I intend to, it will be game on. Just watch. You can doubt, you can root against me if you want. But I play to win. Just watch. And come and see someday. I'm sure you are right if you weren't talking to me. But I will be fine. The store will be rad. And I will have a better selection than anyone in the world. With the best displays. All I have to do is sell 100 scorpions, and a few other things a month, and all I will do is expand my lists. I could have hundreds of specimens available. It could be beyond amazing. Just watch. {D :D

Last edited:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, lighten up man. You did inquire "So if you have any suggestions on how I might achieve that, by all means, share away.", I'm simply throwing out several of what I would see as the main hurdles for this. As I said, those are the reasonsI wouldn't do it. I don't think anyone is "rooting against you" here. I've been keeping scorps for more than half my life now, so I'd consider myself someone with an interest in finally having a dealer that will have the less common species. I've been waiting on a few species I figured someone would have brought in for years now lol. That aside, I don't want to sugar coat anything, and as I said, I would be concerned on the level of demand, at least from my experiences and what I've heard regarding the frequency and price range of scorpion sales. However, if you understand these and believe they don't apply or that you can make this work, then by all means, I don't think anyone here is cheering for failure on this project.
Trust me, that was meant to be cautionary and constructive, if if I truly wanted to see you fail, I don't see why I would have posted anything, and besides: if anything, the success of your venture would probably benefit me as detailed above (for the "sake of brevity" we'll assume everyone knows what I mean). As far as the insinuation that I am long winded, or that my posts are redundant, that may be your opinion and I'm sorry if it bothers you, it probably won't change in the future, but I understand if you don't want to read a long post and it's really no skin off my neck lol. I really don't see the need to criticize me or the structure of my writing, I don't edit these posts extensively so long as they are comprehensible, which seems to be the general mode of operation. I don't recall my original post as criticizing anything about you personally, simply flaws I might consider in a plan. I don't see the need for subtle slights or overtly pejorative remarks directed at me in some challenge I didn't issue

****Edit. After a cigarette and a re-read of your response, I probably came off a little stronger than I should have in that, so I apologize, and didn't mean to offend. I do feel a couple of the statements were a tad provocative, but, in the end I suppose provocative isn't necessarily bad :p. Anyways, I do want to note that I do respect how active you are on the forum and what you contribute, so please don't take it too personally (which admittedly, I kind of did)
Beaker, I didn't mean for that to be mean or anything. :? Sorry if it came across that way. I wasn't trying to do anything but debate your comments. I do think you were a bit negative, rightfully so, as it would seem to many to be a plan doomed to failure. I get that. And I'm not mad or upset at all!

I do want to debate peoples ideas though, especially if I think they are flawed. But that's not a personal attack. You say it's probably not going to work. That's okay, but you should let me tell you my plans, or why I think it will! I want ideas, but I'm not going to sit here and be told I'm doomed to failure without replying! But it wasn't meant to be mean or an attack, and I didn't, nor will I, take it personally. Sorry again if I came off that way!

Okay, I was a little cheeky. But I didn't mean it to be mean. There was a bit of redundancy thing. I think you were a bit, but I wasn't trying to rub it in your face. I just want to shorten your post to include all your points just once. For everyones sake. I try to be real careful and give full disclosure when editing someone's quote, as I don't want it to appear shady.

I do get where you are coming from in your posts. On just a basic level, a scorpion retail store might not be possible. But I have other tricks up my sleeve. My masks will be what pays most the bills most of the time I am sure. The store probably won't even pay for itself. But it could. The masks sales will cover the slow times. And online sales will help. Especially if I can have 100-200 species!

Hey Beaker, I'm not mad, really. :) Just talking and debating. :cool:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
pretty good thread :)

i don't see if this was mentioned, but iirc there are only three ports of entry for animal imports. LA, NYC, and i forget the third by i am pretty sure even if it was NO it no longer would be.

man, you would have to rock a steampunk "normal" old timey clothes and then get a multi-opter like Johnny Depp had in Sleepyhollow. It would actually be useful and look tight. going off of gaslamp w/ that, btw

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
pretty good thread :)

i don't see if this was mentioned, but iirc there are only three ports of entry for animal imports. LA, NYC, and i forget the third by i am pretty sure even if it was NO it no longer would be.

man, you would have to rock a steampunk "normal" old timey clothes and then get a multi-opter like Johnny Depp had in Sleepyhollow. It would actually be useful and look tight. going off of gaslamp w/ that, btw
There are many more ports than that. Unless it changed in the last 2 weeks!
New Orleans is a port of entry for animal imports! It's perfect really. :)

The steam punk clothes would be great! I'm planning a steam punk mask right now. I have some bike gears, and motorcycle goggles. And I'm going to make my own crazy leather top hat to go with it! Steampunk and Nola go together like pbj huh?

Cowin8579

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have several of the more common species you may have for your breeding stock for free if you start your store. Good luck!