Scorpion Picture Thread

Deadly1

Deadliest of Them All
Old Timer
Haven’t posted in here for quite some time. Some of you may know me as deadly1, most would recognize me as Venom_macro. Here’s my latest image. Tityus stigmurus 04BEDA78-4D6D-4FB0-9D2B-DAF1D0F7BBD2.jpeg

tervis

Arachnopeon
My first baby, scorpio maurus palmatus! Size is about 5cm with tail, no idea what instar they're at, the breeder didn't give much info about them. They were smaller than expected on arrival, so I whipped up a box for them to live in until they're big enough for the terrarium. Their name is Slifer The Executive Producer because I'm reliving my teens through LittleKuriboh's YGOTAS series, lol.

heresthebaby1.png

SHINY1.png

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
My first baby, scorpio maurus palmatus! Size is about 5cm with tail, no idea what instar they're at, the breeder didn't give much info about them. They were smaller than expected on arrival, so I whipped up a box for them to live in until they're big enough for the terrarium. Their name is Slifer The Executive Producer because I'm reliving my teens through LittleKuriboh's YGOTAS series, lol.

View attachment 398217

View attachment 398218
I believe it’s adult. This species doesn’t get very large.

tervis

Arachnopeon
I believe it’s adult. This species doesn’t get very large.
Oh goodness, here I thought they might still grow a little! The breeder's site states the adult size at 6-8cm. I guess the next step would be to try to determine if they're a male or a female, and transfer them to their actual enclosure.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Heres my Heterometrus sp. sling. Got him at a show 3 months ago, so my guess is he's about 5 months old. IMG_20210820_1556033552.jpg

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Oh goodness, here I thought they might still grow a little! The breeder's site states the adult size at 6-8cm. I guess the next step would be to try to determine if they're a male or a female, and transfer them to their actual enclosure.
Closer to 6. I doubt they will get 7 or 8 cm. This is the body length including the metasoma.

Onewingedangel

Arachnopeon
Adopted as a Parabuthus for having a messed up claw- hopefully fixes itself after a molt. Unknown species but I believe it may be Parabuthus schlechteri. The enclosure is from when I got her.

Attachments

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Adopted as a Parabuthus for having a messed up claw- hopefully fixes itself after a molt. Unknown species but I believe it may be Parabuthus schlechteri. The enclosure is from when I got her.
I'm assuming she's in a different setup now? Those woodchips look awful for her to be honest.

Onewingedangel

Arachnopeon
I'm assuming she's in a different setup now? Those woodchips look awful for her to be honest.
Yes that is correct. 70-30 playsand and excavator clay in a ten gallon. The shop I got her from wasn't very educated on arachnid care- and even had the nerve to charge quadrouple of what I'm used to seeing. $100 Asian Forest and $75 for a Curly Hair sling haha. She was there as a rescue due to a deformed left pedipalp that you can really see in the side view image. As soon as my sand mixture dried out completely she was in new enclosure. Anywho, would anybody happen to have a guess on the gender? One edited and one unedited photo attached. Also, from the first day getting her as the sand mixture was drying out in the ten gallon.

Attachments

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Looks like an adult to me as well. I had one too and the seller had no clue of the instar and it only was around for 10-11 months before it passed away. Great little scorps ! Enjoy

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like an adult to me as well. I had one too and the seller had no clue of the instar and it only was around for 10-11 months before it passed away. Great little scorps ! Enjoy
That doesn't look like an adult to me. Although it's tough to nail down exactly what instar it is, it certainly doesn't look like it is full grown just yet. There is usually at least some granulation present on the adults' chela, if not heavy granulation. These guys can be picky eaters and also very skittish. It would definitely benefit from some deeper substrate as well, as these guys will burrow if given the opportunity. This will help with their appetite, add they usually won't eat very well unless they feel they have an adequate/safe hiding spot where they can go to munch down. Last, but certainly not least, having a good burrow will prove vital for ecdysis if yours is indeed still a juvenile. This species is tough to raise to adulthood, mostly since they require an environment that is difficult to replicate in captivity. Somewhat similar to the difficulty in rearing Hadrurus, they need lots of ventilation to provide arid surface conditions while giving plenty of depth for them to burrow down to find cooler and more humid conditions for successful molting to occur.

Best of luck, looks like a fantastic specimen!

Skeletor206

Arachnopeon
I bought this the other day, (Western Australia) - Urodacus Novaehollandiae. However, I am new to this hobby and I am just wondering a couple of things.

1. Is it a male or a female?

2. In all of the photos I see online, the mouth things aren't as long/extended as the ones in my photo... is this normal?

Attachments