Scorpion Picture Thread

Redellimom

Arachnosquire
These are pictures of a Striped bark scorpion and her scorplings that were found outside our home. Notice she is missing some parts of her legs and one of her claws. Not sure what happened to her. We took these pictures and let her and her young go on their way.
mamascorp5.jpg
mamascorpglow2.jpg
mamascorp4.jpg
mamascorp6.jpg

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Poor old girl.. she's a trooper, that's for sure! Dontcha just love centruroides babies? haha

Here's an unknown species of vaejovis found in the Picacho recreation area, in imperial county, CA, close to arizona.

initially, i presumed it to be yet another vaejovis waeringi, however the tail is a tad too massive, and there are prominent spines on the dorsal side of the metasoma (tail), just like Hoffmanius/vaejovis/paravaejovis spinigerus. Very skittish and defensive, stings on the drop of a dime..

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Juvenile Hadrurus obscurus

Note how the intraocular crescent is a 'box', rather than the smooth graded round crescent of arizonensis. I would've collected this rare scorpion if it werent so young..

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
awesome pics!

Are the P. reddelli small like P. iviei? Had a few of those back in the day.. the babies must be a nightmare to keep! SO SMALL!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
awesome pics!

Are the P. reddelli small like P. iviei? Had a few of those back in the day.. the babies must be a nightmare to keep! SO SMALL!
reddelli is quite a large species, the second-largest pseudouroctonus species, if I can recall correctly. Some can reach 60+ mm, especially cave-dwelling populations.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ahh! sounds like a nice species then, the one I had (P.iviei) was about 20mm long adult! (I think!) was tiny

Good news from my scorps, finally my lone H. alticola female has mated, after spending a whole week upside down on the mesh of the container lid -_-

thenagain... I didn't see her get down from there when the spermatophore appeared, so maybe she didn't take it up!
Can see spermatophore bottom right of pic!

Spinster

Arachnosquire
Babycurus gigas

Here's my B. gigas. I just picked him up last night, also from Bruce.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Kochius hirsuticauda, a rare species endemic to the great basin, can be found in Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and California.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
10678751_738624359565195_6585383930089580908_n.jpg

Paruroctonus silvestrii despite the name 'California common scorpion', they're only sometimes locally abundant, not nearly as common as anuroctonus. Often found in the same habitat as uroctonus mordax in southern california's coastal woodlands.

This is one species that should not be handled. The only reason it's on my wrist is because it darted out of the container and fell on me. One of the most nervous and sting-prone scorpions I can think of, these will often run and flail their telson as a defensive maneuver, and the venom DOES hurt!