Scorpion Picture Thread

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Just got some new Rhopalurus crassicauda in as a birthday present!

Suspect female:

Suspect male:

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
Here are a few shots of my scorp collection:

P villosus from last night. Supposed to be an adult but I am sure she is about to moult again

Same one a few months before

Hottentotta jayakari 4i

A australis hector 4i

A mauritanicus or crassicauda, not quite sure

0.1 Centruroides bicolor

Smokehound714

Arachnoking

If i toss in more than one cricket, she goes berserk, frantically tapping around, bumping into everything, sometimes ending up on her back. They aren't very well equipped to capture Gryllodes, which are lightning quick, and jumpy compared to the native Gryllus species, which move more slowly, get larger, and dont jump as much.

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
@shaneshac the villosus is definitively not adult. The pedipalps of adult are much more voluminous. But he metasoma looks also definitively subadult. Whish you the best that it will soon takes its last molt.

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
Thanks. I saw her yesterday and her colour is now very opaque. She should shed any day now ;)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hottentotta saulyci adult or subadult, these guys get incredibly quick when they get bigger :S

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
Great looking scorpion!! Looks pretty big in the pic although cannot really tell the dimensions

Smokehound714

Arachnoking

OH my god she's so mad!!!!!!!

----Just kidding, lol. This one is actually docile enough to handle carelessly. I had posed her to look cooler. lol You'll see in the second pic that she's super mellow:

This one doesnt mind being held a single bit. Obviously my favorite specimen. Even despite the mycosis she had when we collected her :(

Fortunately, I noticed it early.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lighting the scorpion

Rhopalurus junceus, 1-inch
Focus stacks

This first shot was taken using a speedlight strobe flash, illuminating mostly the subject but giving a darker background.

This was shot with the studio strobe and beauty dish, giving an effect like broad daylight.

My new wallpaper ... I stacked only about 20 images from the previous image, around the eyes.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Awesome! I'm going to be getting one soon. They look so cool. Hw do you have them setup?

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The supermacros in many of your photos are astounding. How do you get some of the colors? Some of them just are not natural! I like the style of your photography, though.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks very much 2nscorpx! It's such a small scorpion that you get a lot of translucence when using some backlighting. That brings out surprising vibrance in the colors.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Haven't posted in thread in a while, so here is a video of Aerica, my female Centruroides gracilis. She molted into 7th instar today, so I'm hoping the 6th instar male will mate with her as I hear that males can breed at that age. Hopefully the video works.

Edit: Click on the video if it doesn't play.