Scorpion ID

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Re: Skinheadave

Originally posted by Philth
would you still think the scorp is gravid, now know its not a C. exilicauda
It isn't as sure, but it still looks like a good possibility. Could you post a picture from the side?

Cheers,
Dave

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Reitz,

Yep, bang-on. Nice looking species, actualy.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Indeed it appears identical to the B. arenicola I currently keep. I didn't notice such a striking resemblance until someone had already mentioned it. I had to break out my little girl here to compare. As far as being a thick scorp, indeed, they both are, and even the male I had kept in the past, became quite fat, even when compared to other comparable sized scorpion species males. Might not be gravid, considering the amount that they eat at one time. Then, they fast for a short time, get a little more slender and then, return to fat as soon as they begin to eat again. If it is a B. arenicola, it should reach a little larger and much thicker than your average C. exilicauda. I used to compare them when I kept the male B. arenicola and he was almost as fat as the female C. exilicauda. Strange. I'm going to do a little more research on them to find all the key determining factors of the species and I'll get back to ID on it.

adios,
edw. :?

TempestGarden

Arachnopeon
Hey Philth....

I am new to this messageboard, but definitely not new to keeping scorpions, as I have done so on and off for many years now. The scorpion that you received is most definitely Androctonus amoreuxi. I have owned quite a few scoprs of this species over the years. A. amoreuxi is the only member of the genus Androctonus that doesn't have an overly thick tail, despite it's common name.

Jeff Hall :D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Re: re: Scorpion ID

Originally posted by TempestGarden
A. amoreuxi is the only member of the genus Androctonus that doesn't have an overly thick tail, despite it's common name.
It does, however, still have an evenly thickish metasoma with heavy ridges and a fairly conservative segment proportioning. The scorpion pictured, however, has lighter ridging, especialy towards the distal end. The fifth metasomal segment is proportionaly longer, thinner and without the sculptured appearance. That is without getting into the other ID points already mentioned.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Like Skinheaddave said, look at all aspects of the scorpion in question including anatomical parts which have already been mentioned (metasoma and chela) and compare chela thickness and chela finger length. This pics shows a far narrower chela and shorter chela fingers than the common two yellow Androctonus scorps. The coloration of the mesosoma is also a much lighter color than the commonly imported morphs of A. amoreuxi, but match quite well with one of the two most common variations of B. arenicola that is found on the US scorpion dealer's lists. Common mesosoma colorations, stateside of B. arenicola, are yellow and variations thereof, leading all the way into almost lacking of all color (also commonly seen in A. pterygocerus' with the 1999 importations to the US). This appears to be one of the specimen which are lacking the majority of the mesosoma's coloration. All have a notable darker stripe on the tergite segments.

adios,
edw. :)

PS: I hope, if you get stung, that it isn't a B. yotvatensis yotvatensis. VERY POTENT, though not quite as bad as B. yotvatensis nigroaculeatus (one of the most potent in Saudi Arabia and is said to be the most deadly from it's immediate collection and study locale), but I'm sure it's not too far off. I will say one thing, B. arenicola is nowhere close in potency, as this ssp. is said to be comparable to L. quinquestriatus in it's deadliness to humans. I suppose that's why I want some yotvats! heheh... ;P

Last edited:

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crazy!

Mat

Sorry Brainfarting ,,But hey, Them what they are and Them what they`ll be!!)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by XOskeletonRED
PS: I hope, if you get stung, that it isn't a B. yotvatensis yotvatensis. VERY POTENT, though not quite as bad as B. yotvatensis nigroaculeatus (one of the most potent in Saudi Arabia and is said to be the most deadly from it's immediate collection and study locale), but I'm sure it's not too far off.
What is the source for this? I would love to read these accounts.

And don't worry about Mat. He is from Quebec and thus a bit -=[makes the crazy squeeky-squeeky hand gesture]=-

Cheers,
Dave

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In Quebec , you cannot tern on da red lights ,But TABERNAK we drive right tru dem!!

I live in Quebec but am not from here...I am a proud Canadian!!
Been living a little bit of everywhere in Canada and LOVE it all the same. But some of these quebecors are staring to (squeeky-squeeky hand jesture). Dave...... I was born in T.O. and know better than to live there ....heheh just jokin! But hell is that ever a busy city!

Mat

(cough-cough- choke...choke, HEMP NATION!

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'll have to find it again, but will start searching for it soon (lost all the web sites I had saved, due to a comp virus a while back). I came across it one day while I was researching B. yotvatensis nigroaculeatus and it stated that the majority of severe envenomations were results of the ssp. nigroaculeatus that any other in the area of Rihyad (spelling?), also stating the ssp. yotvatensis to be quite potent as well. Remembering that nigroaculeatus is also the most common scorpion in sandy locales in the area, though the information indefinitely stated B. yotvatensis nigroaculeatus to be the most venomous (LD-50) from it's immediate collection and testing locales. The majority of severe envenomation would probably be in the same lines as A. australis causing more severe envenomations than L. quinquestriatus and A. crassicauda (numbers cause a higher fatality rate, etc.).

adios,
edw. :)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by chau0046
Dave...... I was born in T.O. and know better than to live there ....heheh just jokin!
I hate T.O. Some parts are nice, but there are just too many people. I like Guelph ... very laid back and quiet but close enough to KW, Hamilton and TO to have access to everything.

Cheers,
Dave