Scorpion families DWA?

ellroy

Arachnopeon
Hi,

Would anyone mind giving me a brief overview of which families are classed as DWA in the UK?

I haven't kept scorp's for many years now but am hoping to get back into the hobby although I'm not planning on going down the DWA route,

Thanks

Alan

1/2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, one quick question: What does DWA transelate to? (What does this abreviation meen?) I've never seen it before...

ellroy

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the info guys

DWA=Dangerous Wild Animals. It covers species that require a licence to be kept in the UK including venomous species (inverts,reptiles etc) and things like pet baboons etc which will rip off limbs!

It can be quite expensive depending on what your local authority charges and there are strict guidelines keepers must adhere too such as security, having a Dr on call and access to antivenin etc.

For serious hobbyists only!

Cheers

Alan

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) controls that aspect as far as I read and here is their LINK
that defines the "The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976"

THE DANGEROUS WILD ANIMALS ACT 1976 (MODIFICATION) ORDER 1984 (SI/1984 No 1111) PDF list of animals can be Found Here

Only the Buthidae 'Buthid scorpions' are on the list at present.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
name your scorps as the most docile, most handleable, most calm, most tame, most cute, most friendly "Pandinus imperator" that only stupid persons are afraid to handle.

Agent: What is the name of that scorp *looks at his list of DWA*
You: Oh! its a Pandinus imperator!
Agent: And to this one? *points at a Parabuthus transvaalicus*
You: Its a Pandinus imperator also!
Agent: Oh really huh?! How come it is small and with thick tail?
You: It is still a juvinile, the tail was the first to go large, the claws will grow massive after its next molt.
Agent: Really huh? So why this small P.imperator has massive claws but has thin tail?
You: Oh! it was sick, the claw grew massive first before the tail.
Agent: Ok. *goes outside the room, and goes outside the house*
You: *deep breath*
Agent: *goes back* I hope your sick emperor will recover soon, take care of it very well.

-the end-

:D

Arocknid

Arachnopeon
name your scorps as the most docile, most handleable, most calm, most tame, most cute, most friendly "Pandinus imperator" that only stupid persons are afraid to handle.

Agent: What is the name of that scorp *looks at his list of DWA*
You: Oh! its a Pandinus imperator!
Agent: And to this one? *points at a Parabuthus transvaalicus*
You: Its a Pandinus imperator also!
Agent: Oh really huh?! How come it is small and with thick tail?
You: It is still a juvinile, the tail was the first to go large, the claws will grow massive after its next molt.
Agent: Really huh? So why this small P.imperator has massive claws but has thin tail?
You: Oh! it was sick, the claw grew massive first before the tail.
Agent: Ok. *goes outside the room, and goes outside the house*
You: *deep breath*
Agent: *goes back* I hope your sick emperor will recover soon, take care of it very well.

-the end-

:D

Sounds about right to be honest.:D
I'd love to keep centruroides but paying three hundred pounds a year to keep them seems a little crazy.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds about right to be honest.:D
I'd love to keep centruroides but paying three hundred pounds a year to keep them seems a little crazy.
so how many scorps do you keep? does your own bred specimens will count to the payment?

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just want to say the price can vary alot, in my county its £50 to apply and subsequent call outs by EXPERIENCED keepers in the area of animal you are concerned with come to where the animals are being kept and check it out, it is often done by vetrinarians, they are what causes the subsequent costs as they can charge whatever they please and some people deliberately charge highly to make sure peopole who are not serious about keeping these animals are put off. Also my county requires the animals are insured for whatever collateral they may cause dpending on what you are keeping it can be ALOT.