Scolopendra galapagoensis

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
chill out gala
just wait for few years and Steven would show us his 12"+ monster!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
chill out gala
Okaaaayyyyy. It's just that, I'm getting old:rolleyes: ...:)

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
chill out gala
hopefully more.. have seen giganteas that is 12-13" long, maybe bigger (14"?). Im buying a 12" gigantea from a friend. And he have had much larger specimens of gigantea than the one Im buying. :D

Blackrose

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
MetalDragon_boy said:
hopefully more.. have seen giganteas that is 12-13" long, maybe bigger (14"?). Im buying a 12" gigantea from a friend. And he have had much larger specimens of gigantea than the one Im buying. :D
Hi

Can you please ask your friend if he is interested in trading pedes?
He can give me a big gigantea and he can have a S. galapagoensis (23cm bodylength), a S. spec. Kenia (25cm bl), a S. heros heros (17cm bl) or 2 S. gigantea robusta (18 and 21cm bl) from me!
Ok?

Greets
Andi

Blackrose

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi

If there would be a 25" galapagoensis than it would be about 6-7cm thick!
(If it looks like mine, only bigger!)
That is never possible I think!
What should a pede like this eat? Monkeys? :?

Greets
Andi

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just thought of something.. On Galapagos there is HUGE ninja turtles, HUGE crabs and so on... why not HUGE centipedes?

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cuz the giant crabs ate all the giant centipedes, and Ninja turtle kicked their asses

Blackrose

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
cuz the giant crabs ate all the giant centipedes, and Ninja turtle kicked their asses
Hahaha! I also think it was something like this!

Greets
Andi

jayer10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wait actually... i was thinking about it, a 25" pede would have to eat a lot of cricket-sized bugs to survive. it doesnt seem practical that a pede would evolve to get that large for no good reason. what benefit would a 25" pede have over a 12" pede? it would just have to spend more time hunting for food. and since it doesnt seem practical that something that big would subside entirely upon crickets and small rodents, it would hve to go for bigger prey.

This bigger prey wouldnt be as easy to kill as the crickets and mice and probably has a higher chance of tearing the pede up when the pede starts to nibble on his leg. When you think about it the pede really doesnt have a good defense system, just its bite... which is effective against smaller things, but imagine if one of these bigger pedes went after a chicken or something, my moneys on the chicken even if it will die later after killing the pede from the bite. so i kinda think theres a size limit on pedes based on the whole source of food thing.. and the chickens.

but yeah i dont know,its 3:30 in the morning and ive never had a biology class, but damnit that seems to make sense.
i've seen a food chain from Galapagos islands and centipede was second to the highest. At the top of the food chain after centipede was a hawk or a falcon, something like that.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
why are we so sure the centipede from that island is S.galapagoensis?lol

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The picture was taken in the Galapagos Islands 2004 Trip sponsored by the University of Maryland Geology department. Every year there is a travel study program that goes to the Galapagos islands during the summer. I cannot apply because my major does not qualify me :(. The island was Santa Fe I believe. I can check tho. Click on the second link to see the food chain analysis. I assume it is a galapagensis because it was found and pictured in the Galapagos.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I believe that picture is already in this thread somewhere. I don't want to look for it with this piece of junk computer but I believe it's in here. Steven, Greg, ...don't remember who it was but I remember someone with a reply saying he knows that dude and that he's a guide and mentioned "where" he was a guide so that would prob be where that pede is from.

Edit: I looked around for that same pic in this thread, not here, I know the pic is in a diff,"big" pede thread.

Last edited:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
I believe that picture is already in this thread somewhere. I don't want to look for it with this piece of junk computer but I believe it's in here. Steven, Greg, ...don't remember who it was but I remember someone with a reply saying he knows that dude and that he's a guide and mentioned "where" he was a guide so that would prob be where that pede is from.
your mistaken Sc.galapagoensis with the black colorform of Sc.gigantea,
Sc.galapagoensis can be found trough the north-western coastline of S.America, Sc.gigantea distribution is more on the northern coastline of S.America

it was my fellow Belgian hobbyist Allan (Seekness around here) who knows the guide from Isla Margaritha with the 2 black giganteas on a stick.

distribution of Sc.galapagoensis:
http://www.scolopendra.be/scolopendra_more.php?specie_id=31
distribution of Sc.gigantea:
http://www.scolopendra.be/scolopendra_more.php?specie_id=32

read this paper for more info on galapagoensis and gigantea:
Shelley, R. M. and S.B. Kiser, 2000. Neotype designation and a diagnostic account for the centipede, Scolopendra gigantea L. 1758, with an account of S. galapagoensis Bollman 1889. Tropical Zoology 13: 159-170, 2000

head of Sc.galapagoensis

freshly molt

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Man that's awesome. I was hoping you might chime in. I think you also pointed that out in that other thread, that it was prob not Sc.galapagoensis. I wasn't claiming one or the other, I didn't know enough to even have an opinion about which it was. It was "Seekness" that knows that guy? I barely remember that name, I think I'm losing some brain cells.